New Buyer - Servicing Query

xSCYTHERx

Hey Guys,

Would really appreciate your help on this as much as you can.

I went to view a 350Z today its an 04 reg on a 54 reg plate. It was described as having a full service history however I have only ever driven hot hatches (only 22 years old) and I therefore class a full service history as either once every 12 months or when the allocated mileage is up (whichever comes first). Below you will find the service history for the 350Z I viewed.

Service 1 - P1 Service - 19/09/2005 - 9,176 miles

Service 2 - P2 Service - 17/10/2006 - 13,949 miles

Service 3 - P2 Service - 29/09/2009 - 25,980 miles

Service 4 - Oil and Filter Service - 01/08/2011 - 27,208 miles

The car is currently sat on 33,000 miles so it has been 2 years and around 6,000 miles since its last service. Should I be worried about these service intervals? Is this normal for a sports car that is only potentially been used as a weekend car? The garage has said they will put it through a full service or MOT before purchase but is there anything I should look for specifically for a car that has not done many miles since 2009?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!!

At that mileage a year they have just done it when the mileage has come up was prob.a second car for them . iv only served my car ones at a garage in 2 years but only done 10k in that time.. You could class it as a full serves on the car if you go off the mileage covered but if you go off years it's not a full service history. So it is or it is not just depends on the way you look at it . But if I was selling that car I would defo put full hostelry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In no way possible is that a full service history, no matter how you look at it. The schedule is every 12 months or 9k, whichever comes first, not one or the other.

It's been serviced twice in 6 years, so i'd personally run away as fast as I could.

I understand the point the if a cars not been ran then is there the need to stick to the time scale of services. However fact is that would not be a full service history according to the Nissan service schedule.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

In no way possible is that a full service history, no matter how you look at it. The schedule is every 12 months or 9k, whichever comes first, not one or the other.

It's been serviced twice in 6 years, so i'd personally run away as fast as I could.

Mine has same sort of miles and only one more service.

When I bought it I went through MOTs to compare miles with service history. Seems mine sat in a garage for over a year between MOTs so missed a service. Mines is no due a yearly service after only 1200 miles!!!! Not sure if its going to get one.

Same hassle I have with bikes - my R1 has done 300 miles since last service (Dec last year) - will it be getting another yearly service?? Doubt it with so low miles.

OP - I'd cross ref miles / mots / services and see what it highlights. Would have been nice for at least on oil change between p2 and p3 (3 year period).

There are many who would prefer a high mile fully serviced car. Me personally - I prefer low miles and one or two missed services (due time and not miles covered).

Edited by aidan

Cars with low mileage and this many missed services is the typical candidate for one that may have engine damage due to water in the oil which can cause corrosion inside the engine and also one that has black sludge for oil.

If you want to skip paying £30 for oil every year because you're only doing a few thousand miles thats fine, but you're risking some serious damage to your engine.

A engine that has only done a few miles each month will not need an oil change every year. Yes the makers will tell you it does - as they need to cover every base with regards warranties and so on. Plus they are partial to your wonga.

Oil does not degrade like it did in yore.

Also with a low mile engine - where is the damaging water coming from? You'd need a lot of condensation to get to a level in sump were that the first slurp was water going through engine.

Would be more concerned of a high miler that had missing oil changes.....but hey, each to there own.

In general the 350z has a bulletproof engine.

Some buyers will also prefer a "stamp" in service book every year - and you have to decide if you think resale value of stamp outweighs the costs of a service at such low miles.

I'm not saying I wouldn't change it every year - but would review mileage first. FWIW I will more than likely get a service done by independent to get the stamp - but as I said, every one is different.

Edited by aidan

Thanks for your replies guys, the car would obviously be serviced now so it will have been 3 services in the past 4 years then. Is there anything I can look for to see if any damage may have occurred? The rest of the car looks spotless. I was also wondering if it is possibly someone on this forum used to own the car? Has a nismo rear spoiler. Picture is below. Reg starts with LT54 if that helps anybody.

78aca0368c62f7ddcc6ed156923fc0ba.jpg