Anyone have any experience with spinal fusion surgery?

marzman

Hi guys,

I've had a bad back for a number of years, and had surgery to relieve pressure on a couple of disks in my lumbar spine 5 years ago.

The surgery wasnt particularly successful and i have suffered quite a bit since, however this year it has really taken a turn for the worse.

I've been back to my surgeon this week (private) and had the usual raft of scans etc, and now my condition has progressed to the L4 vertebrae slipping forwards, and then my spinal chord occupying the space where my vertebrae should be!

The doc straight up said the only way to cure this is to have spinal fusion surgery, where they basically fit a metal rod up my back by drilling it into the vertebrae... :surrender: Checkout a pic of an xray of this here: http://www.bnasurg.c...ages/fusion.jpg

However, we're going to try pain killing injections and exercise before going down this route seeing as i've not tried it yet, but the doc expects i'll be having the surgery in the near-ish future (next 1-2 years).

So my question is - does anyone have any experience with this surgical procedure? How painful is it and how long is the recovery process? Also does it cure the pain/improve things significantly? The doc said it only has a success rate of 70%, and in 10% of cases it makes things worse, which is a bit alarming!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: I've just turned 30 so quite young to be requiring this surgery which also concerns me. If i succumb to this surgery now does that mean i'll need more and more surgery as i get older?

Edited by marzman

I have no idea on the spinal fusion, sorry mate, but I remember reading loads of horror stories about my back surgery before I had it (including all the risks of it actually being worse after) and it terrified me. I still had it done and, touch wood, I'm now completely healed 18mths on.

I know mine is different to yours, but I also know exactly how debilitating it can be living with that kind of pain and mobility issues every single day. I wouldn't think twice about having the surgery, and I'd rather have that than loads of painful injections that are only ever going to be a temporary fix. Get the surgery done and out of the way, then get on with your life. I was only 32 when I had mine done, should've had it done years ago.

If you like, I can recommend my surgeon if you fancied a second opinion on things, both he and his team were superb.

• Like 1

My wife had a form of spinal fusion years ago. However this was a Graf Stablisation - which has screws in the vertebrae effectively supporting flexible ligaments, which theoretically allows some movement in the spine but supports it at the same time. In reality the degree of movement was so small that this section of her spine is effectively fused anyway. This is a different operation to what is being proposed for you, I think.

I don't think it would make sense to try and relate her experience to yours as every case is different. However, if she were to have her time again this is what we would observe from our experience:

- the detailed analysis of the problem is critical. When observed on X-Rays or MRI scans, many people's backs are imperfect. However, this does not necessarily mean that this is the cause of the pain. Many people are walking about with imperfect backs but are not in pain. I can recommend an excellent consultant if you wish.

- it is quite amazing what a good physio can achieve but it is imperative that they are experts in the physiology of the spine and know exactly what they are doing. My wife has a great one now but, frankly, it was a long time before we found him. The right programme, followed in due course by properly supervised core strengthening exercises like Pilates and swimming can make a big difference.

- the pain killing injections can work and act as the "enabler" for the physio if you see what I mean. People seem to react differently to them - some get excellent benefit for a good period of time, others not so much. Hopefully you would be one of the lucky ones. My wife had to have hers by epidural - they can't inject in her joints due to the screws, etc in her spine. The injection did help.

- naturally if you fuse one section of the spine it puts a little bit more pressure on the rest of it - this may be worth discussing with them when the time comes - but if the remainder of the spine, neck etc and in good condition that may not be an issue.

If my wife was writing this she would say to make surgery absolutely the last resort but techniques have naturally improved massively since she had hers.

All the best - I am very sympathetic to your situation.

Neil

We're all different when it comes to backs. One size does not fit all.

If your unsure about surgery I'd say go down the physio route in a big way while your deciding.

Try both, normal and a sports physio and think about a trainer and the use of light weights.

When I say we are all different. I like others have back pain controlled by pills for the last 15 years.

This last 12 months I've taken up stand up jet skiing. (and I'm old) It's helped amazingly because it works all your core muscles, which hold every thing together..

No experience but if you want my tuppence worth.......your also too young to live with a debilitating condition. Think of all the things you'll miss out on and regret when your older.

There are risks......just got to weigh up if the juice is worth the squeeze.

i had my wrist fused together when i was 39 due to arthritis and the only advise i can give is if you do have the surgery go into it in the best physical condition you can the healthier you are the quicker you will recover and also as chris s

has discovered a lot of people with back pain can benefit from increased core strength as for the risks you'll have to weigh that up against your quality of life.

Good luck.

Guys thankyou all for your comments on this - all very useful which has given me something to think about.

Neil - much appreciated. What you have said has really struck a chord and i am going to seriously look into the physio options. I have always been very dismissive with regards to physio but i guess this has been the wrong attitude. Also the point about detailed analysis - my surgeon spent only 5 minutes with me telling me i needed surgery, and i did feel a little short changed and would have appreciated some more analysis.

ChrisS... inspiring that improving your core muscles has helped so much. I keep hearing people telling me to improve them, but I've never spoken to anyone with chronic pain before who has said it has helped or not - so im happy that it has for you.

Also Dan/Neil, thanks for the offers of recommendations. I thought i was happy with my surgeon but perhaps not. I'm not sure how a recommendation or 2nd opinion would work (especially as im private so doubt i'd be authorised for a repeat consultation with another Dr), so i think i might have a look into alternative people before going down the surgery route.

Cheers.

Please PM me if you would like any individual names.

However, they are all in London and the South East so this may be no good at all for you (I don't know where you are located). Consultant works from Spinal Unit at the Wellington Hospital in London, Physio is at Active8 Rehab in Chertsey and Pilates Instructor is in Farnborough in Hampshire! It took as years to find the right people and it does involve some travelling for us but no more than 1 to 1.5 hours, so it's normally viable.

it sounds similar to what a friend of mine had done 15 (or so) years ago - he fell off a ladder and did some considerable damage.

things have moved on I'm sure since he had 2 rods inserted either side of his spine............unfortunately one of them snapped and he is in a far worse position now.

As I say (and others) its very individual and a hard choice for you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

So i spent the day in hospital today as a day case, as i had the painkilling injections. Epidural + facet joint injections under sedation. Easy procedure and i got the day off work so im in a good mood!

Doc says it can take up to a week to see the benefit of the injections so i'll report back with any progress!

• Like 1

Sod. That. I freakin' hate needles.

Good luck dude, keep us updated! :)

Honestly wasnt bad at all. Worst part was having the cannula put in my hand! I was fully asleep for the epidural process so woke up all snug in bed back in my room. :)

Last time my wife had the epidural it definitely helped - she is having another one on 5th December. Unfortunately she can't safely have the facet joint injections because of the metalwork and Graf ligaments in her spine.

Hopefully you can then get some physio lined up. While you are benefiting from the pain relief it's obviously a good time to build up as much core strength as you can.

Hi guys,

I've had a bad back for a number of years, and had surgery to relieve pressure on a couple of disks in my lumbar spine 5 years ago.

The surgery wasnt particularly successful and i have suffered quite a bit since, however this year it has really taken a turn for the worse.

I've been back to my surgeon this week (private) and had the usual raft of scans etc, and now my condition has progressed to the L4 vertebrae slipping forwards, and then my spinal chord occupying the space where my vertebrae should be!

The doc straight up said the only way to cure this is to have spinal fusion surgery, where they basically fit a metal rod up my back by drilling it into the vertebrae... :surrender: Checkout a pic of an xray of this here: http://www.bnasurg.c...ages/fusion.jpg

However, we're going to try pain killing injections and exercise before going down this route seeing as i've not tried it yet, but the doc expects i'll be having the surgery in the near-ish future (next 1-2 years).

So my question is - does anyone have any experience with this surgical procedure? How painful is it and how long is the recovery process? Also does it cure the pain/improve things significantly? The doc said it only has a success rate of 70%, and in 10% of cases it makes things worse, which is a bit alarming!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: I've just turned 30 so quite young to be requiring this surgery which also concerns me. If i succumb to this surgery now does that mean i'll need more and more surgery as i get older?

Considered the no1 in his field un UK Carl Lamb is based at St Thomas in London.

Look him up and get you GP to refer you.

Its worth it.

Hi guys,

So i spent the day in hospital today as a day case, as i had the painkilling injections. Epidural + facet joint injections under sedation. Easy procedure and i got the day off work so im in a good mood!

Doc says it can take up to a week to see the benefit of the injections so i'll report back with any progress!

Sounds like it went well :) Good luck with your recovery.