Are we meant to warm the Z up?

Grundy

I think there is a lot of confusion here on engine loading while moving, actually turning the wheels, and just during idle,

Of course there is going to be more stress on the engine during driving the wheels, and its very varied,

However we where discussing warm up and leaving the engine idling in particular, driving the car is adding dynamic stress to the engine which it was after all designed for, and if driven when cold with common sense, its not going to be a problem, after all thats what the gear box is for.

The general consensus is that as far as engine wear is concerned, the first few seconds when started from cold, and hot to a slightly smaller degree is when the most engine wear takes place, due to zero to low oil pressure, the next is during idle on the valve train as said, the next factor is oil, but that's a whole separate subject.

Adding a little disclaimer here for the pedants, there are other danger areas of engine wear that are also not related to this thread, which has I think run its course, as there are always going to be differing opinions as to which practice is the best option, either way I doubt anyone is going to see a big difference as most of the time we don't keep our cars long enough. :)

Always worth a disclaimer for the pedants! :lol:

So much bad advice here, it hurts.

Do NOT leave the car to warm up. Start engine and move away promptly. What you should be doing then is limiting yourself to about half revs until engine oil (not coolant) is warm, so about 10-15 mins before allowing yourself hard throttle and rev-range use. All modern (2000+) vehicles should be driven like this.

Leaving a car to idle creates hot spots and can lead to damage long term.

I do have my shift indicator set at 3,500RPM however so im usually shifting before/at this point anyway.

I think your the only person who has it set to anything other than 6,600rpm in a DE :lol:

• Like 1

Do NOT leave the car to warm up. Start engine and move away promptly. What you should be doing then is limiting yourself to about half revs until engine oil (not coolant) is warm, so about 10-15 mins before allowing yourself hard throttle and rev-range use. All modern (2000+) vehicles should be driven like this.

I do have my shift indicator set at 3,500RPM however so im usually shifting before/at this point anyway.

I think your the only person who has it set to anything other than 6,600rpm in a DE :lol:

Set mine to 5K RPM. :thumbs:

I think there is a lot of confusion here on engine loading while moving, actually turning the wheels, and just during idle,

Of course there is going to be more stress on the engine during driving the wheels, and its very varied,

However we where discussing warm up and leaving the engine idling in particular, driving the car is adding dynamic stress to the engine which it was after all designed for, and if driven when cold with common sense, its not going to be a problem, after all thats what the gear box is for.

The general consensus is that as far as engine wear is concerned, the first few seconds when started from cold, and hot to a slightly smaller degree is when the most engine wear takes place, due to zero to low oil pressure, the next is during idle on the valve train as said, the next factor is oil, but that's a whole separate subject.

Adding a little disclaimer here for the pedants, there are other danger areas of engine wear that are also not related to this thread, which has I think run its course, as there are always going to be differing opinions as to which practice is the best option, either way I doubt anyone is going to see a big difference as most of the time we don't keep our cars long enough. :)

I did say in higher gears :-p:

I use my brain, I don't need a pretty light to tell me when to change gear :lol::stir:

I use my brain, I don't need a pretty light to tell me when to change gear :lol::stir:

Air bag light gets in the way of mine ;)
  • Like 1

Shh, I thougt id gotten away with that one :ninja:

I normally stay below the 3,500 solid light, the flashing in my peripheral vision, along with the engine noise lets me know to change gear. Unless im motoring of course in which case I ignore it.

Its also a decent level to have it set at as its made me save a few mpg on fuel (2-3) and also with the zed gaining speed so easily, the flashing starts in 6th gear at 82mph, so I know if ive hit it im going a tad too fast, was helpful when the zed was new to me and I was always surprised how fast I was going with no effort.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Makes interesting reading this tread. (Just started a new one on exactly the same topic).

Can I throw something else into the mix. What if you need to move a car on the driveway, would you start it up, move it, and turn it off again?

Got to say, iv always warmed the car up before driving off, as I thought it was good practice, even in the summer. Be interesting to know what credentials people have for giving out the "dont do it" "do do it", and where they have gained their knowledge. Alot of people claim to be experts, but the amount of people that actually are, is far fewer

We are all experts here ;)

I would start it up move it and turn it off again, dammed if I would let it idle or take it for a drive, I think the amount of times that its done would hardly take thousands of miles of it life span, besides as I have said before we seldom keep our cars long enough to worry what happens to it in a few years time ;)

We are all experts here ;)

I would start it up move it and turn it off again, dammed if I would let it idle or take it for a drive, I think the amount of times that its done would hardly take thousands of miles of it life span, besides as I have said before we seldom keep our cars long enough to worry what happens to it in a few years time ;)

Just thought id spark another debate around the same issue. Iv always left my car to warm when iv moved it.

Start it up and go, start it up and idle, who cares it's you car do what you like everyone :p

Sent from the golf club...

:lol: Are you a politician by any chance spursmaddave? :D;)

If only.....

first thing all the unemployed would be up all night cleaning the streets, filling in the potholes and repairing the roads while us hard working chaps sleep in our beds.... and when it snows they would be clearing the streets and drives for us all too :teeth:

Sent from the golf club...

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 2