Selling a car for a friend

marzman

A colleague/friend of mine is emigrating permanently this weekend and he has been trying to sell his Audi A5 but has left it too late!

I've offered to sell it on his behalf for a small fee.

The car is taxed and still insured in his name, but it will be kept at my house from now on whilst i advertise it and deal with any sales inquiries etc.

As he is going to be overseas, whats the best way to approach this? I dont want him to sign the car over to my ownership, but then when selling it to someone and the car isnt at it's registered address this can be really off putting for people. I was thinking to get a scan of his driving license and a utility bill which i can show to any buyers as evidence that this is a genuine sale etc.

Can anyone think of any other tips or pitfalls that i should be aware of?

Free winter car for Marzman :thumbs:

Fast forward to spring 2014.....

"FINALLY sold your A5 mate. Used car sales took a nose dive over the winter period and I had to let it go for slightly less than you wanted due to the increased miles I put on it, but don't worry about it taking up space on my drive for the past 5 months as I was using it daily anyway".

See, you needn't of bougth that Range Rover now Chris :lol:

• Like 1

Make sure he signs the V5 before leaving, then you can fill in the date etc when someone buys it :thumbs:

Yep, good shout thanks.

Free winter car for Marzman :thumbs:

Fast forward to spring 2014.....

"FINALLY sold your A5 mate. Used car sales took a nose dive over the winter period and I had to let it go for slightly less than you wanted due to the increased miles I put on it, but don't worry about it taking up space on my drive for the past 5 months as I was using it daily anyway".

See, you needn't of bougth that Range Rover now Chris :lol:

:lol: :lol: Sounds like a plan!