cool number plate... but is it legal?

Zzzz...

IMGP2319.jpg

I read somewhere that the "LAW" requires the number plates to have a certain font, a certain spacing and a certain amount of background around the lettering ( for example 10mm) in which case this number plate would be legal as the border around the lettering meets the "word of the law" ... ?

right? anybody know?

I want to know because this looks very cool....

hmm good question

Characters/ Size

Height 79 mm

Width 50 mm

Stroke 14 mm

Side margin

11 mm

Top & bottom margin

11 mm

Space between characters

11 mm

Space between groups

33 mm

as far as I can tell that plate is legal - except that it doesnt have:

New or Replacement Plates Fitted from 1 September 2001 must be fitted in accordance with BS AU 145d, and show (i) the number of the BS (i.e. BS AU 145d), (ii) the name trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier; (iii) name and postcode of the supplying of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier; (iv) name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

but I'm not convinced! :dry:

you need to look up "BS AU 145d" which specifies the standard..

I am sure they will not allow it purely for Speed camera recognition, but actually I THINK THE LAW is a bit vague in this area...

Also the MOT can fail it IF

1. A registration plate:

a. missing or incorrect -> Not APPLICABLE

b. so insecure that it is likely to fall off -> Not APPLICABLE

c. letter or figure missing or incomplete -> Not APPLICABLE

d. faded, dirty, deteriorated or obscured, (for example by a towbar so that it is likely to be misread or is not easily legible by a person standing approximately 20 metres to the front/rear of the vehicle) -> Not APPLICABLE

2. A registration plate with:

a. letters and figures obviously incorrectly spaced -> Not APPLICABLE They are correctly spaced

b. letter or figure not correctly formed or likely to be misread -> Not APPLICABLE

c. a letter or figure which is obviously not of equal width along its entire length -> Not APPLICABLE

d. any feature on a number plate that has the effect of changing the appearance or legibility of any of the characters, so that the true identity of the vehicle is less easily identified. -> Not APPLICABLE , but maybe the police will argue that it is identifiable by humans but not easily recogniseable by some device ... :rant:

I still think it is -grey-ish-ly legal, but because the revenue making machines will not recognise it, the powers that be...will try and make your life hard ...

It is similar to those Rover 75 number plates with Non-rectangular plates...

I am tempted... ;)

Chapter and verse on no. plate size's etc..

All vehicles (except motorcycles) manufactured after 1 January 1973

Characters Size

Height 79mm

Width 50mm

Stroke 14mm

Side margin 11mm

Top & bottom margin 11mm

Space between characters 11mm

Space between groups 33mm

Characters Size

Height 79mm

Width 50mm

Stroke 14mm

Side margin 11mm

Top & bottom margin 11mm

it does not say it has to be rectangular... and the 11 mm border can be achieved... so long as we can check the british standards and postcode etc... is included in the plate... I think I am going to find out where I can get them and give them a try ... :teeth:

Characters Size

Height 79mm

Width 50mm

Stroke 14mm

Side margin 11mm

Top & bottom margin 11mm

it does not say it has to be rectangular... and the 11 mm border can be achieved... so long as we can check the british standards and postcode etc... is included in the plate... I think I am going to find out where I can get them and give them a try ... :teeth:

In the MOT testers manual , it gives examples of legal plates , funny enough it doesn't show that one :teeth:

I can imagine it won't show it as an example on the MOT testers manual but that does not mean it is not legal ( to the word of the law...)

I agree it is stretching the word of the law a little... :blush:

but I bet the rover 75 number plate shape does not appear on the MOT testers examples... ;)

rover75.jpg