Problem with 2005 350Z - Engine Related I think

d95gas

Hi All,

Well recently purchased this 350 and its behaved itself perfectly, its got the Motordyne spacer, Re-map, Berk Cats and True dual exhaust.

Drove down to JAE on Thursday eve, a distance of around 250 miles, and was a perfect run, no issues at all. Today came back home, cruise control set at legal limits, and pushed it a bit when needed to overtake, was a trip of around 270 miles as we had a detour, again faultless until I was 6 miles from home.

Nice straight and had a little spirited drive. Came off the motorway and it was as if it was only running on 4 or 5 pots, revs all over the place, when I came to junctions I was having to blip the throttle otherwise she sound as though she would stall.

Managed to get her home and let her tick over, which didn't sound healthy and was struggling.

There was no smoke, or any alteration in any of the gauges, no funny smells, and all under the bonnet looked fine.

During the last spirited bit, I did hit what I can only describe as some sort of cut, and it was from that point I had the issues.

Anyway, 5 mins later, started her up and no issues at all. Went for a quick run, and drove perfect.

So not as worried as before, but I would like to try and get to the bottom of it.

Car has full service history, and is due a P1 next month, all levels are fine. If I did hit some sort of cut, then I am a little confused as I was under the assumption this had been removed by the remap with "RS tuning".

So any advice or hints would be very much welcome.

On a slightly different matter, any recommendations for 350 Servicing in the North East (Darlington/Middlesbrough) I am happy to travel a little for a good service.

Thanks

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Is your car a UK car or a JDM import ?

Was the cut an rpm cut or a mph cut ?

Any EML showing ?

Also all P1, P2 and P3 servicing kits in stock if required.

Alex. :)

Hi Alex,

Its a UK car.....thought about it and it could of been RPM cut as its only set at 6600. No EML showing and car runs perfect now. It was just after the "spirited" few minutes, the next 2 miles home took some coaxing.

Don't know whether to do the servicing myself or what really.....time is always an issue with my job. Car has full service history at the moment, so will need to consider which way to jump. If I need the service kit I will give you a shout.

Thanks

Graeme

Edited by d95gas

Limp mode? Ive entered it a few times for reasons ive now fixed, but it severely limits what the car can do and does feel like its broken, restarting the car always cleared it for me. Didn't help much trying to trace the issue however.

I had a feeling it was something like that. What did you trace the issue to in the end.....or did you never??

Going to do the Throttle body clean and MAF Clean, can't hurt either way. I understand that you have to go through throttle body relearn on the system (or something similar) so need to search through the threads first for that one, but my heart did start beating again when it ran ok after a restart :D

Im not mechanically minded so excuse me if ive understood your thread in wrong way, but sounds like when your slowing down your car is ready to stall?

I had same issue when I first got my car, it had a crappy air intake in (presuming the previous owner took the expensive out and replaced with cheap). It caused me to stall the car if I slowed down too fast. I removed that intake, cleaned the sensors and the top of intake, and replaced with k&n typhoon.

No problems since

I found it was a loose connection on the throttle pedal. Theres a little electric plug down there that senses what % throttle youre asking for. I guess the loose connection was occasionally sending sporadic values and the car immediately goes to limp mode as its the safest option for you and itself!

I also did the idle valve relearn, throttle pedal reset, ecu reset and MAF clean, just because why not!

Probably not the same for you but it sounds very very much like limp mode if it went away when you restarted the car. Finding the cause is the hard part.

@ddcboyle - I also had/have that issue with a induction kit, there's a thread about it somewhere but seems they're all susceptible to it, something along the lines of the less restriction means more air is flowing over the sensor at those speeds than the factory airbox, car doesn't know what's happening and doesn't give the correct AFR so the engine dies. The only fool proof method is use the proper air box. Mine only does it once in a while, annoying (and dangerous sometimes) but not harmful I guess. It shouldn't cause low RPM once yours standing still though like the OP posted about.

Edited by cs2000

Im not mechanically minded so excuse me if ive understood your thread in wrong way, but sounds like when your slowing down your car is ready to stall?

I had same issue when I first got my car, it had a crappy air intake in (presuming the previous owner took the expensive out and replaced with cheap). It caused me to stall the car if I slowed down too fast. I removed that intake, cleaned the sensors and the top of intake, and replaced with k&n typhoon.

No problems since

Yep you understood fine, although it was also running as if a couple of the cylinders were not firing, so was like a bag of cra$ :-)

Has original air filter box on with aftermarket filter, although I do have a "Pop charger" which Alex just supplied me with, but had'nt got chance to install it this week, so everything was standard.

All fine now but will still do the cleaning of the throttle body and MAF sensor as a precaution, and because it cannot do it any harm. Thanks for your input

Graeme

It caused me to stall the car if I slowed down too fast. I removed that intake, cleaned the sensors and the top of intake, and replaced with k&n typhoon.

With respect, its very unlikely it was the filter itself causing the problem and far more likely a dirty sensor, you should see some of the filters Ive seen being run on driftcars :lol:

Limp mode is a lot more distinct than a bit of a misfire, it wont allow the car to rev past 3500 from memory and drains all of the power, if the engine felt like it was running lumpy then I agree with others, and would go further and suggest a dodgy coilpack, if it comes back then try disconnecting the coilpack leads in turn to see if they make any difference - if theres no change then theres something wrong with that plug/coilpack./lead :)

it wont allow the car to rev past 3500 from memory and drains all of the power,

Thinking about it now, I don't think it would go past 3500, I had to keep dropping it into first to start it moving as it just felt powerless, if I bliped the accelerator, the rev counter would lag behind in the revs rising.

Rev limiter is set at the 6600 which I think is the default......If i knew how to work out potential top speed in say 5th with a rev limit of 6600rpm, then I might know better if I hit the rev limiter :teeth:

It more and more sounds like the limiter. I shall plug in the OBD2 Scanner at the weekend and see if this shows anything up. Was already thinking about one of the OBD2 dongles that datalogs 50hrs of driving data.....could prove useful IF I can replicate the issue.

Yes, id agree with docwra, limp mode and misfire are very different. But limp mode still makes the car run like balls. Probably difficult to understand unless you've experienced both.

Im not that clued up on it, but it does severely limit engine RPM, throttle inputs are delayed and speed is restricted, im guessing ignition is retarded too but it may not need to do that since the car is 'fly by wire'. Mine felt bloody awful the few times I've been in it, but It wont show on a ODBII scanner.

The idea behind limpmode is to stop the engine damaging itself - the old classic is when the air flow meter breaks, the car cant tell how much air its sucking in so it goes to a mega rich map and limits revs to avoid damage from detonation. You can still drive it, just as cs2000 says its not an enjoyable experience.

BTW, the rev limiter thing is only for the shift light, it doesnt actually move the rev limit :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Limp mode? Ive entered it a few times for reasons ive now fixed, but it severely limits what the car can do and does feel like its broken, restarting the car always cleared it for me. Didn't help much trying to trace the issue however.

Sorry to hijack this thread but limp mode as you describe is what has happened to me twice now in the last month. Second time I had just come off a roundabout and the car lost power, loads of dash lights came on and the car wouldn't go faster than about 10mph I had to pull over onto the grass verge with hazzards on while I stopped and started again!