Higher octane unleaded...

fellsteruk

I really dont understand how much of a difference these fuels make. I feel no difference to 95 to 99 ron. And then its about engine not liking 95 ron, well why is it availible.

Edit: I just read the above about temprature ignition etc. Makes sense :p

Edited by ddcboyle

Is it cost effective? And does it make much of a difference? I know on FI cars with a remap octane boosters have shown to make a marked improvement, but on an untuned unmapped car does it make a tangible difference?

Using high octain improves MPG as well as small margins of performance unless FI in some cases.. Its a cleaner fuel as well so helps maintain the engine.. I use high octain as normal fuel for all my cars unless I'm driving diesel or not so sporty car..

Oh absolutely when I have had performance cars I've always had them tuned for 97, but even if not I'd always put 97 in. However it also did make a tangible difference on FI cars.

However for a little run around or small engined NA cars I don't see the point in paying for premium fuel when they've been designed to cope with 95, despite it perhaps being better as you say, the mpg mprovement doesn't offset the cost of a fill up!