Woes of a Seat Dealership

Well, as predicted, Ill not be geting my Altea FR back any time soon.

Last night on the way over to karting, it decided to blow a few fuses and render a few other electrical systems useless.

Took it to the dealership this morning, and advised what the issue was.

Havent heard peep all day, so I call now and get told the story.

"we replaced the blown fuses, and after 5 minutes the central door locking fuse blew again". "So we replaced it again, and it did it again".

"it may be that there is an underlying problem that needs further investigating".

NO SH*T SHERLOCK.

At least three seperate cicuits went, central locking, rear windows, and cigarette lighter - 2 30 amp circuits and a 20 amp. Then the onboard diagnostics decides the drivers door is open all the time and the electric mirrors pack in too.

Im no auto electrician, but I think given that description, even I would predict there was an underlying problem and it wasnt just a fluke that several circuits broke at the same time.

Im guessing they spent 10 minutes replaceing the fuses, (twice :wacko: ) then spent the rest of the day scratching their arses.

Anyone taking bets on how long it takes to resolve - and how many new dents and scratches Ill have on it when I get it back?

:lol: Seat dealers are the worst Ive come across so far. They show no interest in selling, servicing or warranty work :thumbdown:

If they are anything like the seat dealers I used expect the car back in about a week

I did get a loaner - its one of the sales guys Ibiza's. Which is quite handy, as the only other car they have for that guy is a pre registered car that they want to keep the miles down on.

So the only way they can acheive that is by getting mine sorted sharpish, so they can have this one back.

Im not holding out hope that they find anything any time soon, electrical faults are usually a pig from what limited experience I have. So finding the cause of whats caused several circuits and devices to all go at once is not going to be straight forward.

Strange you should mention replacement car Tim, my friends also had an Altea, it arrived with the engine check light on, and after a week they couldnt resolve it - so they ended up having a new car ordered.

I would drive the loan car like i had stolen it

How old is the Altea? if they don't resolve it quickly i would be straight on the phone to Seat UK asking to talk to the head of customer service.

When my Audi A3 went in due to a cracked cylinder head (and the dealership had the wrong part delivered twice from Audi) i had a right moan and its amazing how quickly things get done.

Jonathan - I want my free badge by the time my car turns up :thumbs:

Sarnie will be EXTREMELY proud of you. :welcome: to whoring

:teeth:

Oh, I'm sure there's something 350z ish going on at Duxford soon - you're near there right? Can you find out what it is please? I can't remember and my Uncle lives in Thriplow right next to the place!

Its this Sunday mate, being run by the OC. Yes i am near there, probably about 25 minutes.

I can't make it as i am away (plus i want to wait for my car before i turn up to a meet, which ironically is the same as yours :teeth: )

Thriplow, blimey i used to know a bird from there years ago

How old is the Altea? if they don't resolve it quickly i would be straight on the phone to Seat UK asking to talk to the head of customer service.

I picked it up about 7 weeks ago. Got about 1200 on the clock.

Dont worry, if it drags on too long, they can get ready to order another.

Auto Electrics is almost a black art and mechanics cannot do it !

I don't let my mechanics waste time chasing their tails with electrical faults that they won't be able to trace. I have a very good mobile auto electrician who is very experienced and quite often knows the fault before he sees the car, just from experience. I have used him for 6 or 7 years and he has never been stumped yet. He isn't cheap but in the long run he is cheaper than wasting my mechanics time on something they can't fix.

I would wager the main dealers will have mechanics trying to fix it, which they won't be able to do.

I would be gently suggesting they call in an Auto Electrician and let their mechanics get on with Oil changes ;)