Twitter abuse scandal - what do you think...?

sipar69

I think no one really cares too much about all this until it happens to them - true in a lot of things actually.

Personally I find it sad that people resort to it, and in most cases they are pathetic people who have no real impact in the real world and find the only place they can feel like they are important is in the 'apparent' anonymity of online.

I also think Twitter is one of the most pointless inventions on this planet that has been one of the most successful.

For every reaction theres an equal reaction,

she made such a feminist fuss about something that to be honest 95% of people dont really care about (it could have a giraffe on it for all i care still buys me 2 pints either way)

the pro-male groups responded,

Im sure if pro male groups campaigned against something thats female only, they would get death threats from feminists.

But isn't that the whole problem? The reaction to her was not equal. I'm no expert on the subject but I don't think feminists are known for threatening to rape and kill people who disagree with them. And as far as I know, she didn't say "all men are rubbish therefore please put a woman on a bank note". She just campaigned for a woman on the back of a bank note. I agree that most people don't really care about it but isn't the sane reaction to not caring about something to do nothing? The only positive thing about this as far I'm concerned is that a lot of men stood up for her. It's possible to be a normal bloke and not assume that all feminists are anti-men.

No in the case your right but the female hatred of males is there on a high level,

people might have seen this meme, i went to school with a girl who has turned very feminist never thought anything about so never deleted

i posted this after a breakup with a long term GF, and if you look at my posts on here you will seem ive taken up the sport

401866_519500451439068_1865097433_n.jpg

She saw this went ballistic, even after explain what it was saying she still going mad and to use the quote

'Men like you should have your dick cut off' was used over nothing so i would say its very much there.

Edited by StevoD

I think no one really cares too much about all this until it happens to them - true in a lot of things actually.

Personally I find it sad that people resort to it, and in most cases they are pathetic people who have no real impact in the real world and find the only place they can feel like they are important is in the 'apparent' anonymity of online.

I also think Twitter is one of the most pointless inventions on this planet that has been one of the most successful.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not what you'd call a leftie, hippie or whatever (although I do go a bit overboard about animal cruelty I suppose :) but my own view is that there must be some sort of insecurity in a small proportion of men which makes them feel especially threatened by women who dare to express an opinion they don't understand or agree with. I couldn't really care less whether Jane Austen appears on the back of a bank note and I can't understand why anyone would get so wound up about it that they feel the need to threaten to kill and rape somebody! I personally think it boils down to lack of education, lack of inteliigence, and knowing deep down that they are incredibly inadequate people.

True Story - last week a member on the Jag forum I joined was banned because he had an argument with me on there over tyres (Ekona would be so proud I was bigging up the MPPS) he just kept saying Jaguar only endorse Dunlop blah blah, so I said well we can agree that I am right and move on.... He started PMing me all sorts of crap, wanting to meet up saying he was a big muscly bloke and would beat me to a pulp etc, apparently had history of it, even said he knew where I live as people in here had told him :scare: he got banned of course and I laughed it off, but many a sensitive soul could have been VERY affected by that, which is of course the indended reaction....

p.s. if anyone PMs you asking where I live then it's Aberdeen :ninja:

been on the Jag forum 5 mins and already getting threats... :lol: in an argument about tyres!!!! :lol: :lol:

It is also a sign of the times that the younger generation can't answer phones or afraid of face to face conversations within a business environment - and actually any grad who can come in and do this is almost at an advantage over others. Amazing that new grads in our company wont answer the phone because they are scared of who might be on the other end and what they might ask them...

How many of those men who posted rape threats actually meant them? Like seriously, would actually do it, and how many used the term simply because it's about the most offensive thing you can say to a woman?

Very true but hardly a defence, there is some sick crap on twitter far more than people realise, a while back a female vet in america was posting pictures of her with her 2 Alsations indulging in some romance :headhurt:

How many of those men who posted rape threats actually meant them? Like seriously, would actually do it, and how many used the term simply because it's about the most offensive thing you can say to a woman?

Maybe some, maybe none but since there is absolutely no way of knowing one way or the other isn't it better to take the threats seriously and act on them? Freedom of speech is not freedom to say anything you want regardless of the consequences for other people.

True Story - last week a member on the Jag forum I joined was banned because he had an argument with me on there over tyres (Ekona would be so proud I was bigging up the MPPS)

You have learnt well, young padawan :D

For instance, theres a lot of online media about how much I dislike Mike Brewer, probably with some kind of "ideal world" violence involved, does that mean Im going to get a visit from the rozzers sometime?

Cops would probably hand you the baton themselves, seeing as how it's Mike Brewer ;)

I'm as big a keyboard warrior as you're likely to find, but I wouldn't say anything on-line I wouldn't say to someone's face. That generally means that I'll never seriously threaten to injure someone, although context is everything of course. As yet, and I do find this miraculous given my *ahem* outspoken nature at times, I've yet to have been given a threat of violence across the interweb. I have no idea how I'd react, although I suspect I'd laugh it off as often as I do when I get sent insulting PMs.

I'm gonna come round yours and stuff that 911 and its "tires" down your throat

:boxing::stir::p

True Story - last week a member on the Jag forum I joined was banned because he had an argument with me on there over tyres (Ekona would be so proud I was bigging up the MPPS)

You have learnt well, young padawan :D

For instance, theres a lot of online media about how much I dislike Mike Brewer, probably with some kind of "ideal world" violence involved, does that mean Im going to get a visit from the rozzers sometime?

Cops would probably hand you the baton themselves, seeing as how it's Mike Brewer ;)

I'm as big a keyboard warrior as you're likely to find, but I wouldn't say anything on-line I wouldn't say to someone's face. That generally means that I'll never seriously threaten to injure someone, although context is everything of course. As yet, and I do find this miraculous given my *ahem* outspoken nature at times, I've yet to have been given a threat of violence across the interweb. I have no idea how I'd react, although I suspect I'd laugh it off as often as I do when I get sent insulting PMs.

I'm gonna come round yours and stuff that 911 and its "tires" down your throat

:boxing::stir::p

Take a step ladder ;)

Fair enough - thanks for clearing up your view. I don't think that example is the same though. I believe in freedom of speech but freedoms carry with them responsibilities. It's already illegal to threaten people with violence etc and I don't see why being behind a keyboard should be any different.

Youre probably right, but find me one person who has ever been arrested for threatening to punch someone, I dont think you will be able to. Hell, I know people whose neighbours have repeatedly turned up on their doorstep with baseball bats and the police have said they "cant do anything until something happens" - I had written evidence of a guy that worked for me threatening that he was going to come and kill me a little while back and actually went to the police station and they did absolutely nothing then either, I doubt someone youve never met on the internet is going to get the full force of the law, are they?

Expressing views is one thing but threatening people is another. I don't think we need new laws but I do think it's worth asking the question (which interestingly not many people have commented on) why people feel the need to behave in this way towards a woman who, as far as I can see, did nothing wrong.

Because they are dicks? :lol: Not being funny but if this really concerns you then try to avoid hearing about whats going on in Syria, Kashmir, Tibet and any number of other places at the moment, some nomark making threats to someone they have never even met, never mind know where they live is not a major issue by any means IMO.

Its not nice and it shouldnt happen, but click the "block" button and it stops, I dont honestly see what the big deal is TBH.

• Like 1

Whats the issue here for people

Men raping women Or men threatening women? (just for the record im not agreeing with either)

As i bet everyone male or female has said to there mate down a the pub about someone god id love to smack him one in one way or another, is this not the same thing a physic threat?

I mean its a common thing for blokes to be like this right about each other,

yet these feminist types want equality (not against it), So they in this example a threat is made from a male to a female why does it make it worse for the threat to be a to a woman than a man if the female in question fights for equality?

on the other note Curtis Woodhouse got harassed on twitter, gave a reward for the Twitter trolls address got it and went down to his road tweeted photo of his house tagging the troll calling him out, so its not always a case of nothing comes of giving abuse on social media

and to those that are offended by stuff

DAO2j.jpg.jpg

• Like 1

Fair enough - thanks for clearing up your view. I don't think that example is the same though. I believe in freedom of speech but freedoms carry with them responsibilities. It's already illegal to threaten people with violence etc and I don't see why being behind a keyboard should be any different.

Youre probably right, but find me one person who has ever been arrested for threatening to punch someone, I dont think you will be able to. Hell, I know people whose neighbours have repeatedly turned up on their doorstep with baseball bats and the police have said they "cant do anything until something happens" - I had written evidence of a guy that worked for me threatening that he was going to come and kill me a little while back and actually went to the police station and they did absolutely nothing then either, I doubt someone youve never met on the internet is going to get the full force of the law, are they?

Expressing views is one thing but threatening people is another. I don't think we need new laws but I do think it's worth asking the question (which interestingly not many people have commented on) why people feel the need to behave in this way towards a woman who, as far as I can see, did nothing wrong.

Because they are dicks? :lol: Not being funny but if this really concerns you then try to avoid hearing about whats going on in Syria, Kashmir, Tibet and any number of other places at the moment, some nomark making threats to someone they have never even met, never mind know where they live is not a major issue by any means IMO.

Its not nice and it shouldnt happen, but click the "block" button and it stops, I dont honestly see what the big deal is TBH.

+1 on the dicks point ;) It doesn't "really concern" me mate. I started the thread because I was really interested in why people think some men felt so angry at a woman for wanting to see a famous woman author on a bank note - it's more that I'm interested in the psychology of the behaviour than this being a particular issue of importance to me. I do see it as more serious than you because I don't think she deserved to be the subject of a hate campaign for doing nothing wrong and I do wonder how many of those people who are saying it's no big deal would feel the same if it was happening to one of their loved ones.

My only strong view is that freedom of speech doesn't and shouldn't mean freedom to say (or write) absolultely anything, because that has very serious consequences for innocent people.

Whats the issue here for people

Men raping women Or men threatening women? (just for the record im not agreeing with either)

As i bet everyone male or female has said to there mate down a the pub about someone god id love to smack him one in one way or another, is this not the same thing a physic threat?

I mean its a common thing for blokes to be like this right about each other,

yet these feminist types want equality (not against it), So they in this example a threat is made from a male to a female why does it make it worse for the threat to be a to a woman than a man if the female in question fights for equality?

on the other note Curtis Woodhouse got harassed on twitter, gave a reward for the Twitter trolls address got it and went down to his road tweeted photo of his house tagging the troll calling him out, so its not always a case of nothing comes of giving abuse on social media

and to those that are offended by stuff

DAO2j.jpg.jpg

No offence mate (!) but you're missing the point. Saying down the pub or online "I would like to hit so and so" is not a threat. Stephen Fry was making a point about people expressing opinions - that's not the same as making threats. As a gay bloke, do you think he would stick up for someone who threatened to kill people for being gay?

Maybe some, maybe none but since there is absolutely no way of knowing one way or the other isn't it better to take the threats seriously and act on them? Freedom of speech is not freedom to say anything you want regardless of the consequences for other people.

Absolutely, but I would rather police resources were focused on things slightly more worthy than "Someone called me a name via the internet". They cannot act on every single threat, there aren't enough police in the world for that, so unfortunately they should simply be ignoring it unless the person who has had the threat made reports it specifically to the police.

It really bugs me when people get offended on other people's behalf, which I believe Mr Fry may also be alluding to in his quote on that pic StevoD posted. Usually refers to edgy jokes, but as long as they're funny I say anything is fair game.

• Like 1

As a gay bloke, do you think he would stick up for someone who threatened to kill people for being gay?

Depends if it was funny and witty or not, I suspect. I don't know the bloke, but I suspect his love for intelligent and creative use of language would make him smirk at a witty gay-bashing, even if the serious element underneath it might offend him.

Trouble is nowadays people get offended on other peoples behalf!! Someone calls me a bald **** at work, I laugh but someone else gets offended on my behalf WTF (this is a fictional story and bears no resemblance to actual events although I am indeed a bald ****)

Well that confirms some of my thoughts :lol::p

Unless someone actually turns up on your doorstep I can't see the point of involving the law. I don't get upset when ekona says he'd like to smash different ladies back doors in. I know he won't do it, and I'm sure if said women read it, they also know he would do it as he's never going to meet them. And with language like that they'd probably tell him to jog on. :lol:

Unless someone actually turns up on your doorstep I can't see the point of involving the law. I don't get upset when ekona says he'd like to smash different ladies back doors in. I know he won't do it, and I'm sure if said women read it, they also know he would do it as he's never going to meet them. And with language like that they'd probably tell him to jog on. :lol:

:lol:

No offence mate (!) but you're missing the point. Saying down the pub or online "I would like to hit so and so" is not a threat.

well it is

Note the following is fictional im not a rapist.

So for arguments sake lets say 'im down the pub i see a girl and say rather openly i would love to rape her' Or i post on a girl i knows facebook wall ' i would love to rape you'

How is that not a threat

So to be concise....

You wouldn't want Ekona to turn up on your frint doorstep, you you are quite hapoy to invite him in the rear ?