Headlamps misty internally.Are these any good?

skidder

As the post states I have misty lights on both sides(one worse than the other) internally on my GT4.I bought it like this a year ago and there is definitely no leek whatsoever.My only option is to somehow get the glass off(some have mentioned putting them in the oven and loosening the glue,take off glass,clean and re-assemble).This is something I wouldn't be comfortable doing myself.If I could find someone to do this then I would be happy to do so.I'm in oxford if anyone has any recommendations.

Or would something like these be any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350-Z-RIGHT-HEADLIGHT-03-05-NEW-/121145404403?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c34d42bf3

Seem a bit cheep but thought i'd ask the question.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

They look pretty standard but have no idea if they work as well as OEM ones - bear in mind you will get stung on import taxes on this as well, probably in the region of about £30-£35 at a guess?

I've cleaned, rubbed down and used a UV sealant on mine on the outside because the lenses had gone really smokey/hazy. I don't know if using the same process on the inside of the lense would work though. Are you sure the haziness is on the inside of the lense? The outside usually goes due to the breakdown of the UV coating on the lense and the UV then causing damage and the smokiness. They are still as good as new over a year since I did them.

I've cleaned, rubbed down and used a UV sealant on mine on the outside because the lenses had gone really smokey/hazy. I don't know if using the same process on the inside of the lense would work though. Are you sure the haziness is on the inside of the lense? The outside usually goes due to the breakdown of the UV coating on the lense and the UV then causing damage and the smokiness. They are still as good as new over a year since I did them.

Cheers for the reply Sam.

Unbelievably I went into a body shop today asking him if he could open the unit,clean and put back together.(expecting a heavy price tag!)He then looked at them and said thats on the outside.

He then took out this electric turbine sponge lol and it came off a real treat.

Couldn't believe it.I've asked at least 10 people and they all stated it was on the inside.

Definitely a WIN today.

Anyone know the best product to use to keep them nice just in case it returns?he said it looks like somebody had used the wrong product on the lenses.

Whats the best product to use to have a go at it again if it returns?

cheers,

Chris

Edited by skidder

Skidder, all you need to do is buy a small container of UV polyurethane sealant suitable for external use. If you can buy some from a marine shop that's designed to work in sunlight from weak UK sun to powerful Jamaican sun, This will do the trick for a few years to come. The difference is not only aesthetic but it will make your headlights brighter as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Skidder, all you need to do is buy a small container of UV polyurethane sealant suitable for external use. If you can buy some from a marine shop that's designed to work in sunlight from weak UK sun to powerful Jamaican sun, This will do the trick for a few years to come. The difference is not only aesthetic but it will make your headlights brighter as well.

Any brand in particular you used?

There's a marina not far from where I live, it doesn't really matter what you use as long as its suitable for use outside and says 'UV PROTECTANT' on the tin. I can't remember what brand I used (I'll have a root around in the shed to see if I can find the tin) suffice to say it wasn't the most expensive as at the time I wasn't 100% sure it would work but as I say one year of the Zed being outside and they're still as good as new. I just applied a couple of light coats (it looks a bit crap if it runs), job done.