Experience of driving/parking in centre of Paris?

NeilMH

To cut a long story short...

Because of my wife's serious back problems, the only way she will see what she would like to in Paris is if can get her to a hotel with 200-500m of the Champs Elysees by car.

I have identified suitable hotels but nearly all of them use Public Parking. I have identified an ideal car park which is in the Rue de Pyramides 75001 Paris. I am happy to pay for a suitable 3 or 4 day pass whatever it costs.

What I don't know is:

Is there are a good/better time of day to arrive and park in Paris other than what appears to be the obvious (i.e. early in the morning or late in the evening). Or is the obvious not the obvious. Are these type of car parks 90% full most of the time or reasonably empty? My wife cannot hang around for long periods of time other than in the car with the seat reclined.

Anyone lived or worked in Paris or driven there a lot?

Any help much appreciated.

Edited by NeilMH

I lived in Paris for a couple of years, unless you get there at very early o'clock the traffic is pretty bad. There is a "fast lane" road which runs alongside the river, you need to try get on that and make your way to the arrondissement 1 where your car park is, beware though as on Sundays between 8am and 2pm this road is closed to cars (and I believe right now the Paris plages is on which means the road closed for a month).

Had I just gone to the bottom of the parkingsdeparisdotcom internet page I would have discovered that you can book a parking spot in advance, so that helps avoid the "oh whoops it's full up, now what" scenario.

One thing I clearly remember from past visits to Paris... they have very little regard for other people's property. People use their bumpers as parking sensors. Be very careful where you park unless you dont mind your bumpers getting scuffed up.

choptop....sadly my wife can't travel in (or indeed get in or out of) the Z. She has to travel with the seat reclined at about 45 degrees - our old car has a very compliant ride and seats that totally suit her back problem. We have struggled to find anything better, as odd as that sounds.

Have just been all the way to Tarragona and back in the Toyota...ran faultlessly as ever. No oil or fluids used despite the temperatures...unbelievable. It's a 1993 Corrolla Executive (La Dee Dah) 1.6 Auto.

I would definitely suggest you drive in a shed or at least in a car you don't care about. Knocks and bumps are just routine - including if you park it somewhere you'll get back and find it scraped, or moved (sometimes they'll have bumped your end round to get past you but they don't put it back and you return to find your nose sticking 3ft into the middle of the road, or something) :scare: :scare:

The other thing is - you'll need nerves of steel and it is ESSENTIAL you know where you're going - he who hesitates is not only lost but hung drawn and quartered, too . . .

If you have to drive, it's better before 5:30 in the morning, and I'd not try it again until about 1:30 so you've got a pretty tight window to venture out -

Edited by ianphampton

I would definitely suggest you drive in a shed or at least in a car you don't care about. Knocks and bumps are just routine - including if you park it somewhere you'll get back and find it scraped, or moved (sometimes they'll have bumped your end round to get past you but they don't put it back and you return to find your nose sticking 3ft into the middle of the road, or something) :scare: :scare:

The other thing is - you'll need nerves of steel and it is ESSENTIAL you know where you're going - he who hesitates is not only lost but hung drawn and quartered, too . . .

If you have to drive, it's better before 5:30 in the morning, and I'd not try it again until about 1:30 so you've got a pretty tight window to venture out -

Sounds perfect. I like a challenge. I thought they used the guillotine :lol: I am using our main shed (we have another earlier 1.3 Corolla in reserve) B)

Its quite acceptable for people to bump off cars when parking. And like the above, stick to your line, make a decision and just go, actually Parisians are quite handy at avoiding people who are consistent in their driving not matter how good or bad it is.

If you need any tourist advice happy to lend a hand, I lived on Ile Saint Louis for 2 years, so am well versed in how to avoid the tourist traps!

Its quite acceptable for people to bump off cars when parking. And like the above, stick to your line, make a decision and just go, actually Parisians are quite handy at avoiding people who are consistent in their driving not matter how good or bad it is.

If you need any tourist advice happy to lend a hand, I lived on Ile Saint Louis for 2 years, so am well versed in how to avoid the tourist traps!

Many thanks. We are just working out when we might go. Plan now is sometime around our Ruby Wedding Anniversary in September - thus avoiding Plages - maybe a fraction quieter and cooler. If I make a directional decision when driving I stick by it right or wrong thus living to fight another day. Driving Caterhams and the like you have to work on the assumption that people can't see you so it's good practice :lol:

It will be really pleasant by September, also its not worth going in August as the whole city shuts down and everyone goes on holiday (seriously, Paris is dead in August its rather bizarre).

Best way to see the sights is grab yourself a bateux boat hop on hop off ticket, the boats run up and down the river dropping you off at the tower, louvre etc makes for a nicer way to go from one to the next. Oh and I would advise you go visit Ile Saint Louis, its the smaller of the two islands in the middle of Paris, I am biased as I lived there but it is a hidden gem and you will find Bertillion there which does the best ice cream in Paris :teeth: