Oil leak

gareth29

Don't know why I haven't asked for help on this before but...there's a leak coming from between the rear timing case and the block just below the exhaust cam on the left bank. I have tried sealing it with a two-part epoxy material and it is better, but there is still a mini puddle of oil/muck etc on the undertray.

What was odd before I did the repair was that it only appeared to leak once the engine was turned off - then a steady drip appeared on the underside of the timing case dripping onto the ac compressor. I turned the engine on/off a couple of times and noted the the same thing happening each time.

At the moment I am trying to steel myself to take off timing case (front and back) and re-seal it, but if anyone can suggest anything else that has a chance of sorting it, I will be all ears!

Cheers

• 9 months later...

Finally got around to removing the front timing chain casing. Was just having a look around when I noticed that 7 bolts were missing from around the cam sprocket area. These bolt the rear timing chain casing to the cylinder head and the front camshaft bracket - exactly where the leak is coming from! I'm really kicking myself that I didnt notice this when I had the cover stripped off last year. I cant believe some joker just forgot to put these bolts back.

I've now got to try and seal between the rear cover and the head - was thinking of trying to open up the gap a bit by undoing more bolts, after removing the cam sprockets and trying to inject some sealant into the gap.

20140414_191441_zps9816c299.jpg

20140414_191424_zps5ad28a44.jpg

Does anyone have any better suggestions ( I dont want to remove the rear casing if at all possible)

Cheers

my little arrows havent come out on the second photo but you can see the 4 holes with no bolts

Edited by gareth29

New bolts in - looks much better (and it seems to have stopped the leak, without putting any new sealant into the gap)

Had to take the timing chain off for access to do the the sealant, but it was impossible to get any sealant in as the gap could only be opened very slightly.

So then I had to time the engine up, something which I had not been looking forward to, but the worst bit was putting the tensioner back, hence the top tip with the cable tie, holding the tension on while I got the tensioner in place. Also put a cable tie around the crank pulley as the chain kept falling off.

All went smoothly until I dislodged the key (which locates the pulley) from the crank! Aaargh!

20140417_174033_zpsbc5ee8df.jpg

20140417_174022_zpsb8b4c30e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - oil leak fixed!!! plus other problems sorted whilst I was in there -

- heater hose was clamped to heater inlet with a large cable tie!! even though the metal clip was still around the hose (just restricting the flow as it wasnt clamping to anything!)

- hole in coolant hose end, leaking so I just shortened the hose by about 10mm, cutting out the hole

thats it, car is running great (touch wood) :)

• Like 1