Decats - cel light

aidan

Well fitted a set of decats yesterday (to existing milltek) and noise is fine. No drone, a little rasp but exactly what I was expecting.

BUT - even with lamda extenders onto existing extenders, still throw up a engine management light.

SO - did the pedal dance and reset it.

BUT - came back on again after 12 miles.

Is it worth resetting it again and see what happens?

Without upreving, what other options is there (if any)?

Without upreving, what other options is there (if any)?

1) Leave it

2) Do what I did and stick a black piece of vinyl over the light so you can't see it :thumbs:

the technical bit of vinyl!!!! ;) Yep may be the answer.

• Like 1

They are cobra decats which have extenders fitted. On top of that I've added additional ones - so all in 6" long.

Would get the uprev if there was anyone local who could do it!!! No one in sunny Scotland as far as I know.

I will reset ECU again ( a few times) as I believe the learn (a little).

Edited by aidan

Did you try it without the extra extenders?

Nope. Do you think it would make a difference?? Surely being further away from gas flow is the reason for extenders in the first place?

And if this is the cause, I might be interested in buying the extra set to get rid of my CEL :p

I got a set from Zmanalex when I fitted my decats, cured the problem. Not too expensive too, pm him. :) :)

He mentioned he already has 2 pairs on each decat, I don't think a 3rd will cure the issue :lol: more likely taking a pair OFF will fix it!

• Like 1

I got a set from Zmanalex when I fitted my decats, cured the problem. Not too expensive too, pm him. :) :)

As mentioned above most folk just fit these http://www.350z-uk.c...cel-dash-light/

He mentioned he already has 2 pairs on each decat, I don't think a 3rd will cure the issue :lol: more likely taking a pair OFF will fix it!

have one set fitted to the extra bids already on decats.......so no need for more...lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on CEL light - been busy for a few weeks so not got around to it.

Purchased a OBD2 reader and code is P0037 - which I believe is the passenge side after cat sensor???

Only one code present but both decats (as mentioned) have sensor extenders fitted plus additional ones.

So query is - why is only on side popping up as a fault?

Reset codes and went for a spin....all ok for a few miles but then up pops the CEL light again.

It was mentioned that these sensors will show a fault if either too close to exhaust gas / but also if too far away. Anyone now if this is true? Dont want to rumage around removing extenders if it aint going to do anything.

On the plus side - decats and milltek sound the dogs dangles. Not to much drone or rasp, and nowhere near the noise of some I've heard. Ideal.

Now just the pesky CEL light!!! Ahhh. :rant:

I had BERK decats on mine with the built in extenders and never had a problem with CEL, and they can't be much difference between known brands of decat pipes and unknown brands. The adverts for the BERK say that 95% of users don't have CEL show up, maybe your one of the unlucky ones?

• Like 1

I had BERK decats on mine with the built in extenders and never had a problem with CEL, and they can't be much difference between known brands of decat pipes and unknown brands. The adverts for the BERK say that 95% of users don't have CEL show up, maybe your one of the unlucky ones?

Cheers Fluke.....knowing my luck I could be the lucky 5%!!!!

Strange it take a few miles before it pops back up.

maybe check the plug on the sensor see the pins contacts are fine or the sensor itself is ok. I had a problem when I fitted my decats. it threw a light so got spacers from zmanalex and still threw a light. found out in the end it was the wiring to one of the sensors so got a s/h sensor from zman and it rectified the problem straight away. just a thought mate :thumbs:

maybe check the plug on the sensor see the pins contacts are fine or the sensor itself is ok. I had a problem when I fitted my decats. it threw a light so got spacers from zmanalex and still threw a light. found out in the end it was the wiring to one of the sensors so got a s/h sensor from zman and it rectified the problem straight away. just a thought mate :thumbs:

Will give it a go.

Out of currisosity - are the sensor connectors same from left to right. Easy to change over connectors and see if the other side pops up as fault???

As Dan said, that could well have been the problem.

P0037 is a rear o2 sensor fault but is low input or faulty sensor

P1146 /P1147 are the usual codes triggered by Decatting due to too much flow. This is when you need the spacers.

You may have cured it now. If it comes back, check the code again and let us know, it could be loose/dirty connections, faulty sensor etc....

As Dan said, that could well have been the problem.

P0037 is a rear o2 sensor fault but is low input or faulty sensor

P1146 /P1147 are the usual codes triggered by Decatting due to too much flow. This is when you need the spacers.

You may have cured it now. If it comes back, check the code again and let us know, it could be loose/dirty connections, faulty sensor etc....

Fingers crossed.

And only time (and a few more miles) will tell if Ekona is a genius :blush: and whether a set of O2 extenders will be off to a new home.

Edited by aidan