Front speakers!!!

Jetpilot

What a nasty job, lol :)

I set of this morning to get some 6.5" speakers. I took the original hoping to find a simple spacer to use, no such luck, i perhaps should have searched on here first. So after an hour driving to 3 different shops i followed one of the usa forums and decided to butcher the original speaker with the dremel by cutting the actual magnet and plastic mounts out and use the frame as a spacer. Must have taken 45 mins a side to trim. Then the speaker mounting screw holes were too far out past the spacer so had to redrill the speaker surround with holes closer in, grrrrrrrr!

They are in now though and sounding good, a painful job done for what should be a simple task but worth the effort.

Amp and sub next :)

Edited by Jetpilot

I did this too a few weeks ago, mine had some mdf speaker mounts but they were knackered. I butchered the original speakers and used them as mountings, didn't take too long though, jigsaw and a dremel and they fit perfect :)

Did you use the original wiring? I found the hardest part was getting some decent speaker cable through the door plug. My system sounds awesome now though, good speakers, amped with a 10" understrut sub :D

No worries buddy, just stunned that there isnt a spacer available off the shelf for such a popular car, you can seem to get one for just about every other car out there! Never had such a task to swap fronts over before.