Random orbital polisher-pads/polish combo?

HEADPHONES

I have a Silverline random orbital polisher that had rave reviews on detailing world years ago.

Sat in the garage for years until I corrected my headlights.

Now I want to tackle the zed's rear.

I have at my disposal the following 5 1/2 inch pads

Orange Menzerna fine polishing pad (very solid firm feeling)

Black Scholl Concepts finishing pad (very soft wavy/bumpy foam)

Lake Country Constant Pressure Pads green and white

Polish wise I bought a sample of 3 Menzerna polishes

Menzerna intensive polish

Menzerna power finish polish P203s

Menzerna super finish polish P085RE

And good old Autoglym SRP

I was going to go the recommended way of least aggressive pad and polish first,

But thought I'd see if any other more experienced "machiners" had used any of the above products before.

I've had the car from new and used a gentle 2BM wash from day one.

There are hardly any swirls except for the rear.

Never been corrected before except for a marathon session by hand with SRP on the rear which only got me about 75% perfect.

The fillers have long since washed away so I don't really count the SRP as a true correction, but may give it a go with the machine first as it's the least aggressive "polish". If it's easy with the machine and lasts a year or so under some Collinite or Gtechniq C1.5 I'm more than happy to go with that if others say the Menz stuff is too dangerous on Zed paint.

ANY ADVICE ON WHAT TO USE IS MUCH APPRECIATED

Edited by HEADPHONES

Orbital polisher? I have never heard great things about them to be fair... Always thought they were a bit of a gimmick lol.

Personally the Menzerna products will have a slightly higher cut than I would like, if using with a DA or rotary.

I used the Menzerna on my BMW, incredible products and amaxing results on the slightly harder BMW paint. But the Zed I would use something less aggressive depending how badly worn the paint is, I am just on the CleanYourCar forums now asking for opinions, I think I will try Auto Finesse Revitalise on my Zed.

As for pads, Menzerna pads are harsh again. Try Lake country pads or Auto Finesse pads?

EDIT*

----------

pjgh wrote:

Scholl S17+ or 3M Extra Fine (yellow top) should be right up your street. Grab a rotary and the 3M yellow pad. Grab a Chemical Guys Hexlogic Orange pad in case you need to step up the grunt.

That'll do you proud.

Questions? Jump back in with 'em.

----------

Another combination to try!

Edited by Dave-350

I've just polished mine (see my thread here) using Menz 203S & 85RE on Lake Country Constant Pressure orange and green pads respectively. I'd suggest starting with 85RE on the green pad (I believe the white is a finishing pad isn't it? The green is a light cut, the orange slightly more cut) to see how that works for you - you might want to start with SRP, but personally I think that has more fillers and little-to-no cut.