New Car Time...

Hi guys - time for a new car - something a bit more fun for a 25 year old than the current 1.6 Citroen C4 VTR+ 3 door! Decided on a 350z when I change to a new job closer to home, so would be looking to buy later in the year. Have had a look at a few models in the flesh (nearly put off by the state of one I saw in a Stockport (non-Nissan) dealer..... :scare: ) and liking what I see!

Just a few questions to ask you good people!

Obviously going to go with the GT pack as I can't live without cruise - but what are your personal experiences with the roadster vs the coupé? I'm thinking probably the coupé is the more sensible choice - any big differences to be aware of? Also read somewhere on the interwebs about your head being up in the airflow with the top down (I'm 5'10")?

Also, coming from a no-frills Diesel FWD motor, any particular things to be aware of and any big driving style changes when going to a much more meaty RWD car? Wouldn't be using it as a track car at all - no time!

What is the situation regarding phone connectivity (iPhone 5, all hail Apple :dry: )

Finally, what are your experiences regarding fuel consumption - will hopefully be biking/bussing/tramming to work most days so it would be a weekend car with occasional commutes.

Now, to get saving...

Im just over 6ft 6 and had the 350z roadster, no issues for me with the head in the wind, just the odd bitof sunburn.

Be very careful looking at the roof though as some leak and some have pulled at the lining joints.

No real noticable difference on the road between the two to be honest.

Regarding rwd just be sensible with it, if you boot it around a corner or off a roundabout in the wet one thing will happen and it will be expensive, just be sensible and learn what the car will do under various circumstances and then enjoy

Good luck with the hunt.

As Will said really, no problems for tall guys. Roofs can be very expensive to repair and they often leak around the top of the window although I've found that the seals just need pushing back in. Roadster has no connectivity and you can expect anything from 18 mpg around town to 30 and a bit mpg on motorways. Most people would average somewhere in the middle but as with any car driving technique can make quite a difference.

Welcome to the forum :) .

Pete

Im 6ft and had no problems in my roadster. In winter you could put the roof down, have side windows up and with the heater on you`d be nice and toasty without any cold drafts.

On the roadster, there is a common problem with the metal support bar goes over the drivers head - theres a thin piece of metal which folds around this which can get bent back as the roof operates and puts strain on this part of the roof.

Apart from that, i had no problems, apart from endless amounts of complete strangers complimenting me on the car and how rare they are.

Only downside could be the reduced amount of boot space, as the roadster boot is quite small.

as others have said, no probs for tall bods in roadster....im 6ft 4.

my reasoning behind roadster was its was only too be used as a toy, the coupe only has two seats as well.....so may as well get the roadster. (and was hoping for sun.LOL)

They are less common, and hopefully (I say hopefully!!!), might hold value better.

oh and I got my roadster for coupe money....which helps.

Only major gripe I have with roadster is the lack of rear visibility, and the odd creak compared to coupe.

Try both, see what you prefer.

Edited by aidan

:welcome: along - remember as far as choosing between the roadster and coupe - the ride and drive quality was sacrificed as the car was never meant to be a roadster... most roadster drivers end up upgrading suspension - especially if they want to enjoy 'spirited' driving or take the car on track :thumbs:

If its a daily drive or you are really into your driving / track days then get the coupe.

If its just a weekend toy then the roadster will probably be more fun. Personally the coupe just looks so much better that I'd never consider the roadster.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps!

Will take this onboard - thinking the coupe would be a better choice to be fair. And just roll the windows down on the one day a year it's sunny in Manchester. Nice to know it can edge up to 30mpg on motorways - it's going to be a shock coming from the current tractor which I cannot get below 50mpg without being very illegal, but you're only young once I guess!

They are less common, and hopefully (I say hopefully!!!), might hold value better.

oh and I got my roadster for coupe money....which helps.

Only major gripe I have with roadster is the lack of rear visibility

They drop in value at the same rate as the coupe as not everyone wants a roadster. But, normally looking at the forsale prices, you tend to normally pay more than a coupe for a roadster. When I bought mine, it was about 2 grand more than a similar year/spec coupe.

:welcome: along - remember as far as choosing between the roadster and coupe - the ride and drive quality was sacrificed as the car was never meant to be a roadster... most roadster drivers end up upgrading suspension - especially if they want to enjoy 'spirited' driving or take the car on track :thumbs:

The reviews & tests I read showed that the roadster handled just as well as the coupe and put in exactly the same lap times. It has a lot of extra strengthing & supports underneath to keep the car rigid which improves the handling. Downside of this is that the Roadster is a bit heavier than the coupe, but in actual fact, on the road, last time I checked the figures, the roadster was only something like 0.3 seconds slower on the 0-60 or something. Once rolling, very little difference in it at all.

One factor not mentioned so far, is that the insurance is usually higher for the roadster.