What makes a good racing driver?

Fighter pilot's have all of the above qualities x10 and they don't get paid what that we turd hamilton gets. I bet he would sh*t his drawers in a eurofighter!

What about footballers? They do sweet fa in comparison to f1 drivers. So should they be paid less even less than jet fighter pilots do? I find your comment ridiculous. You can't compare a sports person to a armed forces job with regards to pay. We all know about the entertainment world and how money works.

Dude i appreciate that you like what you like and i also like what i like, but the difference between me and you, is that i have trained with WORLD level athlete's all my adult life. Folk who sacrifice any sort of a normal life for not a lot of reward! So sorry if fotball players or F1 drivers etc dont impress me. I do understant that 99% of folk love it but after rubbing shoulders with elite sportsmen for over 20 years both professionally and socially i have a different take on oi!

I totally agree that pay in the sports world is totally screwed when compared to actual commitment and ability, I'm just saying you can't compare pay from the armed services to the entertainment world.

• Like 1

Dude i appreciate that you like what you like and i also like what i like, but the difference between me and you, is that i have trained with WORLD level athlete's all my adult life. Folk who sacrifice any sort of a normal life for not a lot of reward! So sorry if fotball players or F1 drivers etc dont impress me. I do understant that 99% of folk love it but after rubbing shoulders with elite sportsmen for over 20 years both professionally and socially i have a different take on oi!

I understand that. I have a different take on it as well. Not really sure of your point.

If those WORLD level atheletes were any good or had half a brain, they'd change discipline and go into something that paid more money if that's what they were after. I'm guessing that whatever it was they chose to do, they did for the love of it rather than the money.

I'm pretty sure that just about every player in the top leagues around the world don't have what you'd consider to be a normal life either. That's the price you pay for competing at the very top, no?

Exactly. Hamilton entertains me far more than Captain Johnny Go-Faster-Smythe in a Eurofighter, so I don't care if the racing car driver gets paid more than the pilot.

Say's a lot for your personality if Hamilton impresses you dude!

Why? What does it say about me? I'm impressed by any driver who races balls to the wall. Any of the F1 lot really, barring Massa.

And I never said impressed, I said entertained.

Edited by Ekona

I understand that. I have a different take on it as well. Not really sure of your point.

If those WORLD level atheletes were any good or had half a brain, they'd change discipline and go into something that paid more money if that's what they were after. I'm guessing that whatever it was they chose to do, they did for the love of it rather than the money.

I'm pretty sure that just about every player in the top leagues around the world don't have what you'd consider to be a normal life either. That's the price you pay for competing at the very top, no?

Actually the vast majority of folk i come across are extremely well educated and are awesome at what they do, but as the BBK mentioned it's all about sponsorship etc. most folk are happy sitting in there arm chair watching whatever there into buying all the merchandise that comes with it!

Also these athletes are usually hard wired to what they do, switching sports, lol isnt an option! I guess if they were shallow enough to chase the cash instead of there dreams they could succeed at football, F1, snooker, darts etc but cant really see those guys doing the same.

Edited by stuarty

So you think that footballers and F1 drivers got into it because of the money? I think you may be somewhat mistaken there.

You think! You just have to look at some of there contracts and demands. That wee Hamilton is a Diva. Ok footballers and F1 drivers have a short shelf life, therefore they need to make a few bucks quickly. But technically there ruining the sports that they apparently love. Reason for this is that average Joe can no longer afford to take his 2 kids to watch there team on a saturday or the F1.

Honestly mate the only thing i like watching about F1 is the technical stuff about the cars and tracks but when it actually starts i can only manage to watch the start and first 2 laps then it's turned off.

Pit stops are ok too!

You think! You just have to look at some of there contracts and demands. That wee Hamilton is a Diva. Ok footballers and F1 drivers have a short shelf life, therefore they need to make a few bucks quickly. But technically there ruining the sports that they apparently love. Reason for this is that average Joe can no longer afford to take his 2 kids to watch there team on a saturday or the F1.

Honestly mate the only thing i like watching about F1 is the technical stuff about the cars and tracks but when it actually starts i can only manage to watch the start and first 2 laps then it's turned off.

Pit stops are ok too!

I'm not sure "average Joe" could ever afford to go and watch F1, but than again must circuits actually do offer cheaper 'standing/non-grandstand' seats. For example you can still get tickets for this years Monaco F1 for £70ish. Theres obvious lots of people in F1 just for the glamour and money, the most expensive tickets are usually the "Paddock" ones, but are probably the most boring, usually only giving you sight of the cars in a straight line, but people buy them because they are glamours.

All that aside if you cannot see the skill required to race a F1 car than fair enough, just like I cannot understand how any one finds Golf or Cricket or Football exciting. Actually I cannot think of anything worse than sitting in a football stadium watching some people kick a ball around a field for no reason :lol:

Edited by gangzoom

Pit stops are ok too!

I'm not sure "average Joe" could ever afford to go and watch F1, but than again must circuits actually do offer cheaper 'standing/non-grandstand' seats. For example you can still get tickets for this years Monaco F1 for £70ish. Theres obvious lots of people in F1 just for the glamour and money, the most expensive tickets are usually the "Paddock" ones, but are probably the most boring, usually only giving you sight of the cars in a straight line, but people buy them because they are glamours.

All that aside if you cannot see the skill required to race a F1 car than fair enough, just like I cannot understand how any one finds Golf or Cricket or Football exciting. Actually I cannot think of anything worse than sitting in a football stadium watching some people kick a ball around a field for no reason :lol:

I take back everything i said about F1 and football etc. Ive just realised its not the sports, i'm simply not into spectator sports or spectating in general. If i'm not in the middle of the action then there's no point!

F1 drivers are pretty unique amongst top sportsmen. I can't think of another sport where you can't actually do any specific training. Since the blanket ban on testing during the season and only 4 test sessions in February you would think the drivers would be very rusty at the start of the season. Before the 1980's it was very common for F1 drivers to compete in other types of motor racing to keep their hand in but these days their contracts forbid that.

Pete

F1 drivers are pretty unique amongst top sportsmen. I can't think of another sport where you can't actually do any specific training. Since the blanket ban on testing during the season and only 4 test sessions in February you would think the drivers would be very rusty at the start of the season. Before the 1980's it was very common for F1 drivers to compete in other types of motor racing to keep their hand in but these days their contracts forbid that.

Pete

Just goes to show how easy it really is Pete!

• Like 1

Its all a business, getting paid is.

The reason Hamilton gets more than a Formula Ford driver is exactly the same as why Paul McCartney gets more than my mate Rob who plays pubs at weekends, or Van Persie gets more than a Kershaw League player. They draw more attention so are more attractive to advertisers/sponsors, sell more merchandise and basically turn over more cash for those with a financial interest in them.

Would Hamilton still drive an F1 car if he get £500 a race? Of course he would, its in his blood - dont blame the player, blame the game.

Edited by docwra