Few qtns from a new owner.

maddog7

Hi all,

Just got my Z. 50k 2005 cat c write off (because of the wheels apparently!) otherwise everything else seems pretty good.

I have a couple of questions I wonder if y'all would mind commenting on?

The previous owner was a MOT station business owner (I know, I know!) and he recons it's only done 2000 miles in 18 months, standing doing nothing most of the time. A couple of things make me think I probably believe him. Brake judder which feels like the pad depositing thing and the fact that the engine management light comes on after it's been driven err, spritedly showing cat bank 2 issue. Reset it and drive normally and it stays off until driven hard again (happened twice in total to date) Had a misfire error the second time as well but assumed it was something to do with hitting the limiter (more than once, ahem!)

I was out on Sunday and a gentleman on a silver and black motorcycle of the GSXR600 srad variety looked like he wanted to drive spiritedly (behind me) on a twisty section of quiet road I know quite well.

As I was driving home I noticed that the clutch seemed to change its character a little. It could be depressed about a third of it's travel before any significant resistance was felt. It was fine again tonight when I checked it.

Do I presume the fluid had boiled? Presumably if the cylinder was leaking it would have stayed down?

Also the clutch has a slight rumble (old CBR600 style) and the idle rpm drops 100 or so when the pedal is released. I didn't think this was anything to worry about but thought I should ask?

Any input would be great, I have searched on here first but wondered what ya'll thought bearing in mind it's supposed lack of use and the patterns of it's issues.

Cheers D

;)

Seems quite a few issues! one I had the other day was the drop in clutch resistance after some harsh driving. After the car cooled down it came back to normal so I guess that's just one of those things.

I don't believe hitting the limiter should induce the CEL to come on with a Misfire error. I hit it once or twice the other day and nothing untoward happened.

The CAT bank 2 error code could be a problem or it could be something like a dirty/damaged lambda sensor. Of course the engine could also be running wrong meaning that its actually reading correct and you do have an issue.

Seems quite a few issues! one I had the other day was the drop in clutch resistance after some harsh driving. After the car cooled down it came back to normal so I guess that's just one of those things.

I don't believe hitting the limiter should induce the CEL to come on with a Misfire error. I hit it once or twice the other day and nothing untoward happened.

The CAT bank 2 error code could be a problem or it could be something like a dirty/damaged lambda sensor. Of course the engine could also be running wrong meaning that its actually reading correct and you do have an issue.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a BMW trained mech for Mondial Assistance (all makes) and he thought it might just be a sooted up cat as a result of being stood but your absolutley right it could be anything really. I suppose if it becomes less frequent over time I can presume it is just a sooty cat and if it persists there's more afoot.

Cheers

D

I'd go with the catalyst error being more likely to be a dying lambda sensor rather than the cat itself too. Someone that's able to read the live ODBII data should be able to help with that one.

Misfire could be any number of things - do you know when it last had the plugs changed? What fuel are you running it on - super unleaded? I'd check the lambda sensors out before worrying too much about this one too, if the fuelling's going to **** it'll affect combustion and potentially throw misfire codes too.

Clutch issue sounds like it might be worth having the clutch hydraulic bled and fluid renewed.