Solar Lights

neo-ninja

Hi Guys,

Need some advice - we have just bought and laid down as edging some Soft wood sleepers and I really wanted to embed into them some deck solar lights.

Most of the ones i have been looking need a 6.5cm diameter hole. What would the best way be to get that out of the wood? They are soft so easy to chisel and cut is that the best way?

These were the ones i was thinking about

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53f35d2c32

Edited by neo-ninja

Actually think im being a spacker... as just found this and it has a 65mm so would be fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenox-Premium-9-Piece-Carbide-Hole-Saw-Kit-22mm-65mm-Arbors-Drill-Set-NEW-/380618569912?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item589ea278b8

but still how would i get out the middle? As the sleeper is too thick to go all the way through.

Thoughts?

The bit your removing will be stuck in the middle of the hole saw in the drill, either that of buy a flat wood drill bit.

Sorry you have lost me, the sleeper is too thick so the hole saw wont go all the way through prob only an inch or so into it, wont it just cut a circle which i then have to carve out? (I have never used a hole saw so can quite work out how it would remove the middle too?

Edited by neo-ninja

the best for removing a hole in wood is not a hole saw, its actually a forstner bit,

if you have to use a hole saw, drill as far as you can, then use a small drill bit and drill lots of little holes inside the circle, as many as you can, then chisel them out. but this is a horribly messy and crap way of doing it. just use the correct tool to start with which would be a forstner bit.

for those not sure what one is

although not what i normally use, this should do holes at 65mm diameter http://www.ebay.co.u...5-/320894847713

Edited by rtbiscuit

the best for removing a hole in wood is not a hole saw, its actually a forstner bit,

if you have to use a hole saw, drill as far as you can, then use a small drill bit and drill lots of little holes inside the circle, as many as you can, then chisel them out. but this is a horribly messy and crap way of doing it. just use the correct tool to start with which would be a forstner bit.

for those not sure what one is

although not what i normally use, this should do holes at 65mm diameter http://www.ebay.co.u...5-/320894847713

I actually saw those and wondered if they would do the trick. Will that fit in my normal drill then like a normal drill bit? (Sorry im a noob!)

Also any recommedations on getting one cheaper?

Thanks for your help!

i have a couple of sets at work but they only go up to 55mm, you said you needed 65mm, which really limits your options. they work best in lathes and pillar drills, but you can use them in corded or cordless drills. £25 not bad as some of them are over £100 a piece.

i have a couple of sets at work but they only go up to 55mm, you said you needed 65mm, which really limits your options. they work best in lathes and pillar drills, but you can use them in corded or cordless drills. £25 not bad as some of them are over £100 a piece.

Yeah i guess, its more that i will litrally only need it to do around 7-8 holes so seems like quite a bit. Do i need any special attachment for my corded drill or can i just use it like normal?

Easiest way to do it, drill hole with holesaw, when deep enough remove drill, then get screwdriver in the centre hole of sleeper and bend it, plug will snap out nice and easy and in one piece, if not use either chisel or flathead screwdriver in the cut from the holesaw and will split the plug and out she pops, 5 min job

Easiest way to do it, drill hole with holesaw, when deep enough remove drill, then get screwdriver in the centre hole of sleeper and bend it, plug will snap out nice and easy and in one piece, if not use either chisel or flathead screwdriver in the cut from the holesaw and will split the plug and out she pops, 5 min job

on a 65mm hole your more likely to bend the screwdriver, you'll have about a 30mm radius of sold wood around your centre hole. you could chisel it but its unlikely to leave a nice flat bottom. yes you can do it that way, but i've always been a strong believer in the right tool for the job, and on such a large diameter hole a hole saw is not the right tool.

depending on depth you want to go, and if you have a router, you could hole saw it then use the router to take the centre out. or just get a 65mm forstner bit.

on a 65mm hole your more likely to bend the screwdriver, you'll have about a 30mm radius of sold wood around your centre hole. you could chisel it but its unlikely to leave a nice flat bottom. yes you can do it that way, but i've always been a strong believer in the right tool for the job, and on such a large diameter hole a hole saw is not the right tool.

depending on depth you want to go, and if you have a router, you could hole saw it then use the router to take the centre out. or just get a 65mm forstner bit.

its only a soft wood sleeper, it will snap out easy. aslong as its not on a knot.