Scirocco R - any experiences?

S1 HNK

As much as I love my 350z, I'm thinking ahead slightly and looking to get a more practical car in terms of space. I still want something that looks sporty, drives well and has plenty of go and the Scirocco R seems to fill the bill quite well.

I also want an auto so the DSG box would be perfect.

The only angle I dont think looks mean enough is the back for i'm sure something can be done about that :lol:

Yes I've considered the Golf R which obviously is much more practical but they are a bit more expensive on the used market and the Scirocco is meant to be a bit more exciting to drive.

Just thought i'd see if there were any past owners on here before I go and browse the Scirocco forums.

Cheers

I had the 1.4TSI so didn't have the power but the handling was great on it. Also it is a very nice place to be sat, really good quality interior, leather stitching is spot on throughout etc. Rear seats are surprisingly usable as well for a coupe style car. Its only 2 seats in the back though.

Personally I think they are cracking cars, a step away from the standard styling but still quite practical.

Scirocco definitely a better looking car than the Seat, but you do pay a premium for the badge.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder i think there rear of the scirocco is boring but thata me

Also the fact of the matter if 90% of parts in each car are identical, i wouldnt be suprised if over 1/4mile the seat is faster due to less wasted power through the Haldex

Scirocco definitely a better looking car than the Seat, but you do pay a premium for the badge.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder i think there rear of the scirocco is boring but thata me

Also the fact of the matter if 90% of parts in each car are identical, i wouldnt be suprised if over 1/4mile the seat is faster due to less wasted power through the Haldex

The Cupra is very keen on a tune too, 350bhp with not much fettling at all

The Scirocco and Cupra both have the same engine and yes it is very easy to tune. Also the Scirocco is not 4WD so I'd guess the weight will be very similar between the two.

They dont do it for me at all im afraid... too boring looking. If you're getting bored of the zed already i reckon you'd be bored of one of these in no time.

Its not that im bored of the Zed its just that I am finding that I am continually needing the extra space so its way of still having a fun, fast sports car but will a decent boot and rear seats.

A remap takes them to 310bhp, I dont think it would be boring but I take your point about the looks.

The Scirocco and Cupra both have the same engine and yes it is very easy to tune. Also the Scirocco is not 4WD so I'd guess the weight will be very similar between the two.

o really i cant see why youd pay the extra for a Scirocco then

As I said up top, you pay for the badge, and the fact that there are probably 10 Leons to every Scirocco on the road.

I dunno i no when i was working for seat in 3 years we had 2 cupra r's come threw one was a demo and the other sold

and i see loads of sciroccos on the road but maybe thats just cambridge

I had a look at the Scirocco before i bought my E92. Totally, totally boring car. Everything is a compromise!

At least the Zed is an out and out sports coupe from the ground up!

Also why would anyone want a 300+ FWD. my old astra VXR had stage 1 and around 275 BHP and probably around 75 BHP was useless!

For the price of a Sciroccooooooo, there's loads of better options. The Audi S3 being one of them!

Last time I sat in one ( a year odds ago) I remember thinking.. the dash is a bit high, like kinda upwards facing. I can't quite remember but something about the dash put me off lol. Other wise there quite nice and the R will certainly move. Only downsides I suppose are the Golf like interior which looks nothing as special as the outside and when you actually sit and look at one, there not as sleek as you imagine..quite bulky actually. Like a hatchback thats been half sucked through a vacuum bag at the rear :lol: But from what your after its a damn good shout and I can't think of much else. The seats insides are horrid and there also quite...big.lol

Edited by AMT

I had a look at the Scirocco before i bought my E92. Totally, totally boring car. Everything is a compromise!

Also why would anyone want a 300+ FWD. my old astra VXR had stage 1 and around 275 BHP and probably around 75 BHP was useless!

For the price of a Sciroccooooooo, there's loads of better options. The Audi S3 being one of them!

You are comparing one of the worst torque steering cars with a crap chassis to the Scirocco R which from the motoring press has a brilliant chassis and has no problem coping with the power. Steve sutcliffe from autocar actually says it could handle more power.

The S3 is a nice car, my brother has one but to me looks dull. Also the prices of used S-tronic S3's are still high.

As I said up top, you pay for the badge, and the fact that there are probably 10 Leons to every Scirocco on the road.

I dunno i no when i was working for seat in 3 years we had 2 cupra r's come threw one was a demo and the other sold

and i see loads of sciroccos on the road but maybe thats just cambridge

I meant Leons in total. Leon Cupra R is a cracking car, but apart from a bit of spoiler work looks the same as your basic 1.9 diesel, all born of the same egg. The scirocco is what it is, a coupe where even the bottom of the range 1.4TSI is still pretty quick. I guess I bought a 350z because it sets itself out from the crowd, the scirocco does that also, I just don't feel the Leon does it as well.

• Like 1

You are comparing one of the worst torque steering cars with a crap chassis to the Scirocco R which from the motoring press has a brilliant chassis and has no problem coping with the power. Steve sutcliffe from autocar actually says it could handle more power.

The S3 is a nice car, my brother has one but to me looks dull. Also the prices of used S-tronic S3's are still high.

I spent alot of cash having a LSD fitted to my VXR and it was still pretty useless. The S3 residuals are high for a reason!

Everyone has there own preference mate, that's just my 2p worth.

What about a 130i m sport?