Switch help needed...

So I've bought something that requires a switch to turn it on. Now I had planned on connecting it up using a spare heated seat switch I had sourced from R35Lee. However, my garage have told me that they are not sure if it will work as the supplied swtich is a two-way sprung switch. Anybody got any advice if it would work or not?

I thought a two way switch irrespective of how it operated would work. The supplied switch works in the same way a window switch does. You have to hold it down in a certain direction to power the device.

Wanted to keep the stock rocker switch to make it stealth as opposed to a switch like this...

701024_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

I'm no expert at all, but surely if you wired up the stock seat heater switch so that both terminals supplied power to the same cable, then it would be fine? As in:

Power comes into A

Power can then go to B or C

Just wire the same output cable to both B & C so that either way you hit the switch, exactly the same result happens.

No?

If it's a momentary switch that is required then a heated seat switch will not do the job :(

That is a permanent switch and you can't wire it not to be permanent or latching if you prefer,

You will need a monetary / non - latching switch or a pcb and some trendy relays and stuff to convert a heated seat switch to do the job.

However if I used the heated seat switch to power the motor it's connected to, I could just turn it off when it got to the desired position, then I could put it back to the normal neutral position. Then when I wanted to reverse the motor, I would flip it the other way and then again once it had got to it's desired position I could turn it back off???

So what your saying is you want to become the momentary part of the equation?

No reason you can't do that at all mate - just depends on the "lag" on the standard switch and if you accidentally turn it - on/off will it damage whatever it is plugged into - I have a theory on what that is :)

Hopefully the device has protection against a constant forward/backwards state.

Good luck with it either way :thumbs:

• Like 1