Plumbers, DIYers, handy men and people who know about water get in here

Dblock

So I have a problem at home. The pressure sucks. It used to be ok and now its dire. My ionzier used to flow 3.6litres a min and now its down to 2.5litres a minute. But all around the house the pressure is dire. I've checked everything and everyone on the street is the same. Checked my stop **** is fully open and the one outside my house is max too. Phoned up the water company, they have turned it down for eco reasons!!! :rant: I wouldnt mind but the pressure is like if your washing the dishes and someone washes their hands the water trickles out.

So I need a pump. It needs to do cold water mains and boost the pressure to something usable. ideally powerful :lol: I would also like to start filtering my home water supply so wll have a sediment and radial flow carbon filter soon aswell although I might buy 2 of each to run in parallel so there is less pressure drop. So what do I need to boost the pressure what type of pump and where can I get them from? Also I take it the pump will go after the filters?

Part 2. Is I have a tank for the hot water and have a boiler and central heating. Can I slap a pump on that for better hot water pressure?

Also remember I'm a newb so as simple as possible terms :lol:

Cheers guys :)

My house has always had crap pressure, normally it's not that big a deal, until I want to wash the car, theres not even enough pressure to feed the pressure washer for a decent snow foam :rant:

What you're after is a holding tank and then you use a booster pump on that. Works in exactly the same principle as a power shower: Get as big a storage tank as you can in the loft, add a pump, then alter pipework to suit. The trouble you're going to have is that you need to keep it potable, which is invariably a tricky thing to do at the best of times. Tbh it's not something I've ever done at a domestic level, only at a commercial one, so what would be a reasonable solution for you I don't know.

As for part 2, see above. Exactly the same principle, except that this time you've got a cylinder between the pump and the outlet.

Ive fitted the exact system your on about a few times now but only in mansions and big offices, it will be really expensive.

As ekona said, you will need the biggest cold water storage tank you can get and a large booster pump set, also you will have to keep your kitchen sink off of the mains.

As for your hot water that will need a megaflo which will be fed from the booster pump set which will be set at roughly 3.0 bar.

Honestly your looking at thousands and thousands to get this done. Aswel as losing quite a large bit of room to fit it all in.

Why would they? They only have to supply you with a certain pressure (IIRC it's 1 bar), anything else over that is a bonus. My guess is that they have a lot of leaks, and by turning down the pressure they're saving their own costs.

Hmm ok. I'm pretty sure I do as I do have a tank in the loft but could be wrong.

Cheers for that link does anyone have anymore links for booster pumps? Also tanks too incase I need a bigger one?

Can't phone up for a refund as water up here in domestic properties is free. Also as said I have asked them they admitted to turning it down!

Just so we are clear would it be mains - holding tank - booster pump - taps etc?

You don't have a cistern in the loft? In that case you must have a combi boiler doing your heating, and a direct cylinder running on the immersion heater?

The bigger, the better. 50-70 gallons minimum, but if you leave it running for a while then you can drain that quickly. I reckon at least 140 gallons (2x70) one for hot and one for cold.