Oil very low "oh dear"hope it's not to bad

Jmanji

Had my 350 for a few weeks, when I got it first thing I did was check the oil. It showed up as middle on dipstick and looked very dark, I was not going to drive it till a repair was done to the car, but have taken it out for about 20-30 miles here and there , just thought I'd check it yesterday had a shock as the dipstick had no oil on it , so bought 4 litre and used aprox 3.2 liters to bring it up to 3/4 on the dipstick, started it up and it seems fine, drove it around for 10 min then left it to settle for 30 min, reading is still ok, then i noticed my drive has a very small incline so the front of the car was very slightly higher but you would not tell from just looking , do you think the oil may have been sitting back in the sump?? And now I may have overfilled a bit? Anyway I'm thinking to do a full p3 service now and have the engine checked for any signs of damage, I'm also wondering if the car did only have say 1.5 liters of oil would the damage be minimal, I did drive it hard during the last two weeks,

:scare: :scare:

No not at all..My car is on a slope and when I check the oil it is only a slight difference

in the level... defiantly would not be 3.2 liters difference...!! :surrender:

Yes, while some cars will have considerable differences in the readings depending on the slope the Zed definitely doesn't. Did you glance at the oil pressure gauge at all when you were driving it before you topped the oil up?

Pete

Thx, I have been reading all the oil change threads, may give it a go myself , and do the plugs pads and fluids, apart from compression tests and engine rattle i guess it's hard to determine what level of damage my engine has recieved, maybee if it drinks lots of oil it defo screwed ..

There's no smoke at least so hoping its minimal, I'll be talking with Alex on my return from espana :)

Thx

never good if the motor drinks too much oil. A slight decline / incline won't make a huge difference to the reading.

Do what Ekona says and go from there. If the oil is a dark colour and smells a bit it will need changing... especially if the motor's been running on low oil.