Air compressor advice please

glrnet

Guys, i've bought my first compressor, it doesn't come with any hoses so should I be buying helical hose or straight hose? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? Any other advice I should be aware of? Thanks G :)

Personally I don't like Helical hoses. They're always pulling and never go where you want them to. If you are installing a ringmain in the garage with multiple outlets ie one on either side of the garage it can work though.

At least with a normal length of air hose you can lay them down where you want them to be to make it easier to work in that area.

Personally I don't like Helical hoses. They're always pulling and never go where you want them to. If you are installing a ringmain in the garage with multiple outlets ie one on either side of the garage it can work though.

At least with a normal length of air hose you can lay them down where you want them to be to make it easier to work in that area.

I don't know if I can trust you now!! :p ;)

I don't know if I can trust you now!! :p;)

:innocent:

Guys, i've bought my first compressor, it doesn't come with any hoses so should I be buying helical hose or straight hose? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? Any other advice I should be aware of? Thanks G :)

Don't go mad buying stuff Graham.

I have a length of 8 or 10 mm rubber that I used twice.

plus some quick release cuplers and reducers.

Your welcome to them mate.

I am not going anywhere till Tuesday if you want to take a gander!

So long as I don't have to drag my butt out of bed early:)

Edited by 4RE Leather

Another zed shed in the making, that's the south of the country sorted,

Just need a reliant robin works van. Zed shed independent trading. Fern down - Hempstead - Dorking :lol:

Can't we use your works van Darren? :stir::lol:

Edited by Keyser

Can only echo what the others have said. Originally mine came with a kit of parts and tools including helical plastic hoses. They are incredibly annoying. You are in some awkward place....put the tool somewhere for 1 second and the next minute it's in Leatherhead :rant:

Can only echo what the others have said. Originally mine came with a kit of parts and tools including helical plastic hoses. They are incredibly annoying. You are in some awkward place....put the tool somewhere for 1 second and the next minute it's in Leatherhead :rant:

PMSL

PMSL

+1

Don't go mad buying stuff Graham.

I have a length of 8 or 10 mm rubber that I used twice.

plus some quick release cuplers and reducers.

Your welcome to them mate.

I am not going anywhere till Tuesday if you want to take a gander!

So long as I don't have to drag my butt out of bed early:)

Thanks Peter, I'll give you a call :)

What kind of litreage are people buying?

I went for 50L. It depends what you are going to use it for and whether you want the thing running full time, which will happen if you buy one with a small capacity tank (as Blocky says) and it heavily.

I did quite a bit of research and concluded that noise was also a big factor factor for me as I have decent neighbours who I wouldn't want to upset. The stack 'em high sell 'em cheap stuff have high db ratings of 90db plus (some advertisers don't show the db ratings and don't even repsond when you ask the question!!) and you'd want ear defenders on if you were running that in a garage. Their are really expensive quiet brands such as Bambi that run at 49db (conversation level) but they are really intended for dental surgery applications and although they be fine for a stapler or inflating tyres they wouldn't powere a spray gun or a sander. This is because they employ fridge compressor technology In the end I went for a sensible compromise of 72db which should be ok, the reckoning by experts is that anything over 80db is unpleasant. If mine proves too noisy then I will build a soundproofed enclosure around it with a cooling fan built in. Belt driven types are quieter than direct drive versions.

Thanks for the advice regarding hoses and fittings too guys :)

What kind of litreage are people buying?

I went for 50L. It depends what you are going to use it for and whether you want the thing running full time, which will happen if you buy one with a small capacity tank (as Blocky says) and it heavily.

I did quite a bit of research and concluded that noise was also a big factor factor for me as I have decent neighbours who I wouldn't want to upset. The stack 'em high sell 'em cheap stuff have high db ratings of 90db plus (some advertisers don't show the db ratings and don't even repsond when you ask the question!!) and you'd want ear defenders on if you were running that in a garage. Their are really expensive quiet brands such as Bambi that run at 49db (conversation level) but they are really intended for dental surgery applications and although they be fine for a stapler or inflating tyres they wouldn't powere a spray gun or a sander. This is because they employ fridge compressor technology In the end I went for a sensible compromise of 72db which should be ok, the reckoning by experts is that anything over 80db is unpleasant. If mine proves too noisy then I will build a soundproofed enclosure around it with a cooling fan built in. Belt driven types are quieter than direct drive versions.

Thanks for the advice regarding hoses and fittings too guys :)

Thats good info...cheers Graham.

I too need one in my life, and finally I have just bought a new house with a large Zshed (33' x18') :yahoo: Cant wait to get moved in and set up my new palace :) (the workshop that is, not the house - The missus can sort that!) :lol: