advice on repairing bike fairings

wizurd

hi.

I've been looking around on the net and other bike sites however thought I'd ask here Incase anyone's been down the same road. Basically I came off my sv 1000 a while back and im now looking to try to repair the damage to the plastics around the front cowling and also to the rear tail fairing. The lower fairing is also damaged but I'm thinking of taking the bike back to its natural half faired look anyway. I'll get some pics up on the weekend but I just wondered if anyone else had had experience with filling or plastic welding in these kind of circumstances. main damage is the front cowling which has basically got medium sized gouges down the left hand side. any advice welcomed. like I said I'll get pics up on the weekend. Cheers all.

Edited by wizurd

Just trust me on this one, do NOT touch it to see if it's dried! 'kin hot :blush:

You'll be able to file it, drill it and even tap it, no probs. when you sand down the pastic keep it wet, warm water and a bar of general soap to keep the surface lubricated etc.

Hopefully you were ok after the off mate?

As for fairings.... The few times I have been off I have just scoured eBay for second hand panels as mine were beyond repair!! Might be worth a good look round and see what's out there

Doh! Sorry, should have said this also...hope you're OK! Just trying to eat dinner, do my expenses, watch TV, catch up on the forum....

no worries :D I was fine just some gravel rash down my left hand side where my textile jacket rose up over the top of my bike trousers. had come off a roundabout must have picked up something on the rear and as I accelerated away back end kicked hard left. inexperience meant I shut the throttle too hard and next thing I knew the tail snap right chucking me and the bike down the road. only about 30mph. lid took most damage as I landed left hand side and bounced my head on the road lol it did its job though and I was fine. lid had a crack right down the left hand side!

I'll have a look for the plastic padding stuff. It comes in a pair of tubes doesn't it?

Have been going through eBay for a while looking for bits. haven't seen a front cowling for the suzuki sv 1000 apart from US but even then with damage. The tail sections are also pretty scarce. but ideally I'd rather pick up the parts since my repair probably won't be that great lol.

Edited by wizurd

Ive repaired no end of bike fairings in my time. I use a big soldering iron and melt the crack back together on the inside of the fairing. Then if needed a small bit of filler to fill the crack on the outside. Ive also used the same technique to join in replacement bits of plastic to fill big holes etc... Had some cracking good results, and most people cant notice the repair.

had heard about soldering iron idea so it's good to know it def does work.

cant believe that baking powder and superglue lol. wonder how it holds up when I respray it. cheers all. good to know I'm on the right track. will get some pics up this weekend and then hopefully some after pics.

had heard about soldering iron idea so it's good to know it def does work.

Yep works a treat, the iron I use is a massive one designed for braizing or lead loading. You melt the plastic enough to weld the crack back together. Careful when you push on the iron tho that you dont push too far through the plastic.

Ive used it to weld bumper mountings back on car bumpers before so it gives a really solid repair.

Ive repaired no end of bike fairings in my time. I use a big soldering iron and melt the crack back together on the inside of the fairing. Then if needed a small bit of filler to fill the crack on the outside. Ive also used the same technique to join in replacement bits of plastic to fill big holes etc... Had some cracking good results, and most people cant notice the repair.

Ideally you'll need to feed in some sprue (plastic rod of exactly the same material) for an effective repair. Just like stick welding. If you get the chance, and just to satisfy your own curiosity, try the superglue and baking powder...on anything. From cast alloy to sheet plastic, if you search you'll find a video clip of an oil filter that's been drilled, repaired and then pressurised. The filter ruptures before the repair gives way, like I said don't touch until dry, still got the scar! :headhurt:

As with any bodywork repair, the amount of time and effort you put into the prep stage willl reflect in the finished article :thumbs: