This Country is a Joke!!

stuarty

Feck me! Just had a dude come to my door to inform me about the new Government energy scheme.

I said "what's that"?. Guy said " it's a new scheme where the government pay to have your boiler replaced if you own your own home and your boiler is over 5 years old". I said " sign me up pal" guy said "what benefits are your family on"? me "none, we all work". Guy "sorry tough luck, you don't qualify" me "feck off out my gate"!

Honestly what incentive does folk have to work in this country, I don't mind folk getting help, but that's ripping the pish!

The only folk who I think should get this kind of help are Pensioners!

• Like 5

Agree mate- also in our part of world (Scotland)why when budgets are under pressure and cuts to health and social services so we get free prescriptioms and eye tests ??? yes great for people on no or low income but not for all - its just madness !!!!

I feel we dont know the full story here as I did a quick google.

From the "tradesmen" thread i think you said you were from central Scotland.

I did a quick google and there was a scheme in England and Wales whereby an owner occupier with a household income less than £40k could get a grant. In Scotland there is a scheme whereby you get a £400 voucher.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/Heating-and-hot-water/Replacing-your-boiler/Boiler-Scrappage-Scheme

I wonder if this"salesman" was trying to get his foot in the door with his initial statement not factually correct and it relied on whatever service he wanted to sell you that you had some kind of benefits.

Feck me! Just had a dude come to my door to inform me about the new Government energy scheme.

I said "what's that"?. Guy said " it's a new scheme where the government pay to have your boiler replaced if you own your own home and your boiler is over 5 years old". I said " sign me up pal" guy said "what benefits are your family on"? me "none, we all work". Guy "sorry tough luck, you don't qualify" me "feck off out my gate"!

Honestly what incentive does folk have to work in this country, I don't mind folk getting help, but that's ripping the pish!

Oh boy are we going to have fun on here tonight then... :teeth:

I had the same knock back in November. I normally send them away as, like you, I'm not on benefits so I don't qualify either. This time I listened, and long story short I managed to get all my loft insulation re-done and all my cavity walls filled, for free! Basically they've run out of people on benefits to give this too, so they're now offering it to everyone as they've still got the funds from government to spend. On top of this, because I've now had this done when they come round with free boilers I automatically qualify for that too! :D

I think this country is ace. People like me who work their arse off get free stuff. Love it.

• Like 1

I had the same knock back in November. I normally send them away as, like you, I'm not on benefits so I don't qualify either. This time I listened, and long story short I managed to get all my loft insulation re-done and all my cavity walls filled, for free! Basically they've run out of people on benefits to give this too, so they're now offering it to everyone as they've still got the funds from government to spend. On top of this, because I've now had this done when they come round with free boilers I automatically qualify for that too! :D

I think this country is ace. People like me who work their arse off get free stuff. Love it.

You git, I was done, I had to pay for it!!!! :lol:

I feel we dont know the full story here as I did a quick google.

From the "tradesmen" thread i think you said you were from central Scotland.

I did a quick google and there was a scheme in England and Wales whereby an owner occupier with a household income less than £40k could get a grant. In Scotland there is a scheme whereby you get a £400 voucher.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/Heating-and-hot-water/Replacing-your-boiler/Boiler-Scrappage-Scheme

I wonder if this"salesman" was trying to get his foot in the door with his initial statement not factually correct and it relied on whatever service he wanted to sell you that you had some kind of benefits.

Yeah I'm near Glasgow, after I told the guy that know one in my house received any benefits, he didn't want to know. So I'm not sure exactly what they pay. But he did start with "if you are in receipt of any of the following benefits..... And you own your home and your boiler is over 5 years old the government will pay to replace your boiler or free.

I think this is different though, I had my loft done last summer and if the cavity walls needed doing they would've done that too through tesco energy (which i'm not a customer) I called them as I knew the loft needed doing as i'd just bought the place.

This sounds like the boiler scrappage scheme that was aimed at lower income familes (if you can call 40k a low income) however that wasnt in scotland as it seems due to devolution the schemes vary wildly between the member countries of the UK.

I think the energy suppliers had to insulate x amount of houses or they received penalties. In the end it was more cost effective to insulate anyone's house rather that pay the penalties.

the boiler one was a scheme in wales but you still had to meet various conditions

I rang (wherever) and told them my boiler was only about 70% efficient, can I have a new one etc............... he said yes, you earn under x amount, yes - ok, you sound like your over 60 :angry: :angry: :angry: so we can get this going for you................i hung up

Agree mate- also in our part of world (Scotland)why when budgets are under pressure and cuts to health and social services so we get free prescriptioms and eye tests ??? yes great for people on no or low income but not for all - its just madness !!!!

I don't know much about politics, but I think the reason why we get all these freebies, like uni tuition fees, prescriptions, eye exams, dental check up's etc is so we all think the country is doing well under SNP and we will all vote for independence next year.

the boiler one was a scheme in wales but you still had to meet various conditions

I rang (wherever) and told them my boiler was only about 70% efficient, can I have a new one etc............... he said yes, you earn under x amount, yes - ok, you sound like your over 60 :angry: :angry: :angry: so we can get this going for you................i hung up

pmsl

I don't know much about politics, but I think the reason why we get all these freebies, like uni tuition fees, prescriptions, eye exams, dental check up's etc is so we all think the country is doing well under SNP and we will all vote for independence next year.

We get those things in Wales too but independence isn't an issue here. Of course, Wales and Scotland have to work to a fixed budget so when the government froze Council tax in England they gave Wales an extra 300 million but the Welsh Government chose not to freeze council tax but spent it on something else...probably putting up more Bi-Lingual signs or something :stir: .

Pete

• Like 1

and they get the english to pay for it. genius

and they get the english to pay for it. genius

I'm not bitting tonight!