Possible road trip advice

WINKJ

Guys,

I am looking in the possibility of a road trip into Europe this year with the other half.

I have no specifics around where I want to go so I am open to suggestions. we are thinking 4 nights 5 days and don't want to do more than 1500 miles round trip to be honest.

I know this is vague but does anyone have any suggestions as to their experience?

thanks

James

Only 'cos of this :)

France is good, and if you've never done them then the Normandy beaches and the associated sights are an absolute must-do in life. Some nice roads round there too. There's loads of other bits in France to go, but with such a short time frame you're limited in both days and miles. Milau, Monaco...

Or head over to Germany and do the Black Forest.

Drive down to the south of france, then up round through Switzerland and home again. Some stunning roads :thumbs: .... and shopping for the Mrs. A win win situation :lol:

ha! a fair old trek though!! currently reading up on some threads... a few good options! :)

One option to consider is the Portsmouth - St Malo ferry, takes you to a stunning part of France with the option of touring Normandy or Brittany. If your interested in this sort of thing, the Normandy landing beaches and surrounding areas give quite a few options, or go further west to St Nazaire, or south to Saumur in the Loire valley.

The South (Millau/Monaco) is too far away given your constraints.

The Portsmouth/Plymouth - Santander/Bilbao ferry is a good option, but bear in mind that its an overnight crossing, so could take a bit of time from your schedule. If you choose this way, the coast is stunning and pretty much clear of Brits with hankies on their heads.

It all depends what you want from your holiday, relaxed or whizzing about tour, but with the timescale given, I don't think both are an option.

There's also a fast ferry from Portsmouth to Caen, takes about 3 - 4hrs and drops you right in the middle of the Normandy landing zones.

short road trip as a starter experience is the Ardene region. driving in and out of belgium and france in between Bouillion and Givet there are some great roads! stay in Bouillion and have Moule frites and a bottle of Duvel by the river then drive through the road tunnel under the castle and you are straight onto some fantastic roads. only 3 hours drive from calais and well within the distance you want. stop in on Gent and Brugge on your way back (would recommend a night in Gent)

Edited by SteveM

really appreciate this advice all, I am searching the web with all of these recommendations! Also, if there are any roads specifically on these trips I should look out for I would appreciate you pointing them out so I can plan them in :)

thanks

james

We are also planning a trip in June, so far it's ferry fom Hull to Zeebrugge, overnight in Reims, down to Sancerre through the Loire Valley back through Normandy to Bruges then back to the ferry. About 1200 miles, 10 days and plenty of vineyards.

Tell you what I normally do when planing routes, is to use Google maps as much as possible. Plan where you want to go first, let it set the basic route, then start zooming in and seeing where the interesting roads are. Anything windy and twisty is a good shout, but sometimes you'll need to streetview it just to make sure it's not a 30mph limit or a dirt track. Drag and drop the route and it'll sort itself out, you can then use Tyre to add it into a TT-friendly ITN file.

I've planned loads of routes this way, and barring one mishap where it took me down what can only be described as a tractor lane near Derby, I've never failed to find decent roads yet. :)

search bouillion, belgium on google... N893 from bouillion to the N945 then follow the river through montherme sweeping along to Revin. turn north to Fumay and Haybes then east towards Hargnies... explore the area. the roads along the rivers are great but the whole area has some stunning scenery and roads.. look on the map for the twisty stuff and go explore. the roads around Vresse sur semois are fun