Flank drive sockets review

Dblock

I work on my car alot as I don't trust garages anymore. So I got a Halfords advanced toolset. Now that is great but multipoint sockets arent great for high torque or bolts that wont budge. Since I got an Impact gun I got some deep impact sockets. These are single point and thick walled allowing you to use them with an impact gun and hand tools as they seem to be great for getting bolts off. They dont chew up or lose grip of the bolt half as much as 12 points do. They look like this.

f83516928a32bbf2eb2e22c8ffc60728.jpg

But I soon relised that these dont fit everywhere and I needed some shallower sockets that where 6 point to use only with my ratchet. So its the same as above but with less height. These again where great. All the sockets I bought where in 1/2" and all my 3/8s stuff was still 12point. So Instead of just getting the same as above someone on here pointed out flank drive sockets. Flank drive sockets are like flower shaped and grip onto the flats rather than the corners therefore giving you more contact, more torque etc without chewing up the bolt/nut. They look like this

Socket-3c.jpg

So it grabs onto the "walls" of the bolt. So I was sceptical and I couldnt afford Snap-ons's offerings so I got some draper expert ones for £11 for 10mm-18mm. So I've used them a few times now and they grip bett than a normal socket, less slip and they dont chew up corners at all. Very impressed considering the price. I know you can get Spanners that have the same design.

So flank drive is great and if you are looking for non impact sockets get some! Just waiting on some more socket rails for them now!

• Like 1