Performance cars under 10k

wanted

I do like the m6.

My mate.just bought a 996 turbo with the x50 pack. Cost quite a bit. Seems lush though and the performance stats are supercar territory.

I would like a 996 but suspect for 10k the interior will look super dated and it will cost to keep on the road.

Op for 10k id go vx220. Or if you need a bigger car an m5

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You won't get an exiege below 10k surely? Also most Lotus cas will only ever be driven hard so maintenance will be an issue, especially as its mid engined.

996 is a good shout, just watch out for oil leaks/signs of neglect.

6series is a good call, diesels are hard to get hold of and the petrols are thirsty. Sexy car though!

r32 has too much to go wrong, it has three diffs!

Renault Clio V6 might be a laugh, hold their value too. Same power to weight as a Zed.

TVR

Classic Alpha Romeo

Aston Martin DB7

Caterham

Westfield

Triumph TR6

Z3/4

You won't get an exiege below 10k surely? Also most Lotus cas will only ever be driven hard so maintenance will be an issue, especially as its mid engined.

I said Elise, not Exige. :wink:

And that's utter guff about Lotuses only ever being driven hard. And the location of the engine bearing any relation to maintenance.

K-series is cheap as chips to work on, loads of room in the engine bay as well. Easier than the Zed to work on, no doubt. They may well get driven hard, but they're also owned by people who appreciate them and look after them more than other cars. You'll find sheddier 6-series than Elises.

Try working on a Z32 TT, then tell me mid-engined stuff is hard to work on!

Mid engined cars are hard to work on. Plus k series rover engine, just asking for trouble.

As for driven hard, they're hardly shopping cars and the older examples I wouldn't touch with someone else's money.

Is this from experience?

having owned a mid engine car I found them one of the easiest cars to work on ever. everything is in one place, you have full access to the engine by just pooping the rear bumper off. exhausts and manifolds are a doddle to access, compared to the 12 hours needed to access the zed engine.

as for the K series engine, had one of those as well. only issue is the had gasket, and hangar 111 do an upgrade kit that solves that problem.

as for car thrashing, because the car is a lot lighter, the stress put on the engine is lower compared to ragging a car that weighs half a ton more.

I've worked on the mgf and they hide the engine away, but most of the others are reall easy access, also they are a doddle to drop the engine out of.

k series is a great engine as is the Toyota 1zz and 2zz engine. k series tend to have issues in the disco's as the car was to big for the engine, which made them blow gaskets. but k series are cheap to work on,new gasket from hangar 111 and skimming the head and fitting about £600 all in.

• Like 1

996 is a good shout, just watch out for oil leaks/signs of neglect.

6series is a good call, diesels are hard to get hold of and the petrols are thirsty. Sexy car though!

r32 has too much to go wrong, it has three diffs!

Renault Clio V6 might be a laugh, hold their value too. Same power to weight as a Zed.

TVR

Classic Alpha Romeo

Aston Martin DB7

Caterham

Westfield

Triumph TR6

Z3/4

I wouldn't by anything over 10 years old, (unless it was something special 996 etc) too much to go wrong/repair with over 10year old ancillaries etc. I've been down that road before, and i'm not into classics. A few of the cars i've had in the past have been high maintenance/running costs, which i don't mind as i do look after my cars regardless of how long i have them.

Edited by wanted

Have read somewhere the Clio V6s are a bit of a joke, you would for under 10k be better off going the 2L jobbies.

Elise is a good shout, you need to bear in mind the Head Gasket problems with the K-Series, there are companies like Hanger111 though who provide improved thermostats to help prevent failures of this type.

A mate of mine bought a westfield, loves it to bits but its nothing other than a track car.

Have been out in a VX220T with a stage 2 conversion, 04 car so not classic just yet but bloody hell it shifts. Can't say I was a fan of the body shape in silver though.

Would swerve the Porsches personally, just look so incredibly dated and so many of them around, but thats personal opinion.

Megane F1Team cars seem pretty fast although never been in one.

How about something completely mental but practical...http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/vauxhall/monaro/vauxhall-monaro-v8-vxr-2005/943823

Have read somewhere the Clio V6s are a bit of a joke, you would for under 10k be better off going the 2L jobbies.

Elise is a good shout, you need to bear in mind the Head Gasket problems with the K-Series, there are companies like Hanger111 though who provide improved thermostats to help prevent failures of this type.

A mate of mine bought a westfield, loves it to bits but its nothing other than a track car.

Have been out in a VX220T with a stage 2 conversion, 04 car so not classic just yet but bloody hell it shifts. Can't say I was a fan of the body shape in silver though.

Would swerve the Porsches personally, just look so incredibly dated and so many of them around, but thats personal opinion.

Megane F1Team cars seem pretty fast although never been in one.

How about something completely mental but practical...http://classifieds.p...vxr-2005/943823

Hmmm Manaro looks nice, i've had a little look at these before but they were too much money, they are the right side of 10k now.