Diesel VS Petrol.

stuarty

Dervs habe their place. Theyre not terribly excitingand dont sound thay good but generally they're easier to plod around in and go when you need some thrash.

If your not a torque whore then your generally better just getting the petrol unit.......realistically i dont reckon the petrol TT will be any significant amount more expensive to run than the derv.

But if you'd rather grate your dick cheese over Daves salad thats your call :lol:

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 1

Petrol is better.

You can tell your car is a diesel - it isn't "so quiet you would never guess" it sounds like a tractor and smells awful. Plus, you will start wearing questionable knitwear, develop horrific adenoids and will insist on telling people that "your car has more real world performance because torque is king" and "ooh, I haven't been to a petrol station in ages my hypermileing technique is so good"

The only diesel that doesn't sound like a tractor is a diesel LM Prototype - and every incarnation of those has sounded wet in comparison to the competition burning god's own fuel.

• Like 1

before the zed i had a 330d with full exhaust and decats and actually sounded really good!!

However, although fairly quick, cant be put in the same catagory as the zed for the feel when you put your foot down!

Was also only getting about 37mpg but when you factor all the repair bills then the zed works out cheaper motoring!

I agree. Its a totally different type of driving experience. My 123d is only about 0.5 seconds slower on 0-60 than my zed was and has more torque. Even now when i boot it to over take the acceleration really does surprise me, it just pulls, pulls & pulls.

EVO magazine comparing the old 123d hatch (mines a newer coupe) against a Mazda RX8

123D RX-8 R3

0-30 2.3 2.5

0-60 6.5 6.5

0-80 11 10.5

0-100-0 22.5 21.6

1/4 mile 15.0 @ 94.0 14.9 @ 95.8

20-40 2nd 2.1 3.1

30-50 3rd 2.9 4.1

50-70 3rd 3.8 4

50-70 4th 4.3 5.6

70-90 4th 5.2 5.6

70-90 5th 5.9 7.4

Results surprised me anyway, I assumed the RX8 would have been a bit better.

Anyway, results aside, the driving experience is nothing like a high revving petrol like my 313 zed was... when you`d floor it in 2nd, the engine would rev quickly round to 7500rpm and you`d get that sensation of a quick car. The 123d isnt as bad as some diesels as its got 2 turbos, and so there totally no lag at all. At any speed in any gear, you floor it and instant power / pull and you end up constantly hitting the redline in each gear and having to change up. The way the engine delivers power though is more suited for lazy commuting, so you can leave it in 5th or 6th and know if you want to over take you have more than enough power to do the job. Roundabouts you can leave it in 4th if you want as long as you are above 30mph.

As for running costs.... my running cost spreadsheet tells me my zed cost me about £1400 a month. The 123d currently will cost around £800 using the same factors - although i`ll have a more accurate figure after 12 months of ownership.

I think when your talking of performance cars, the line between diesel & petrol gets smaller as the diesels start to loose their economy advantage. Although for me it works well as im saving quite a lot each month on fuel costs, whilst can still have fun when I want.

Edited by rabbitstew

before the zed i had a 330d with full exhaust and decats and actually sounded really good!!

However, although fairly quick, cant be put in the same catagory as the zed for the feel when you put your foot down!

Was also only getting about 37mpg but when you factor all the repair bills then the zed works out cheaper motoring!

I agree. Its a totally different type of driving experience. My 123d is only about 0.5 seconds slower on 0-60 than my zed was and has more torque. Even now when i boot it to over take the acceleration really does surprise me, it just pulls, pulls & pulls.

EVO magazine comparing the old 123d hatch (mines a newer coupe) against a Mazda RX8

123D RX-8 R3

0-30 2.3 2.5

0-60 6.5 6.5

0-80 11 10.5

0-100-0 22.5 21.6

1/4 mile 15.0 @ 94.0 14.9 @ 95.8

20-40 2nd 2.1 3.1

30-50 3rd 2.9 4.1

50-70 3rd 3.8 4

50-70 4th 4.3 5.6

70-90 4th 5.2 5.6

70-90 5th 5.9 7.4

Results surprised me anyway, I assumed the RX8 would have been a bit better.

Anyway, results aside, the driving experience is nothing like a high revving petrol like my 313 zed was... when you`d floor it in 2nd, the engine would rev quickly round to 7500rpm and you`d get that sensation of a quick car. The 123d isnt as bad as some diesels as its got 2 turbos, and so there totally no lag at all. At any speed in any gear, you floor it and instant power / pull and you end up constantly hitting the redline in each gear and having to change up. The way the engine delivers power though is more suited for lazy commuting, so you can leave it in 5th or 6th and know if you want to over take you have more than enough power to do the job. Roundabouts you can leave it in 4th if you want as long as you are above 30mph.

As for running costs.... my running cost spreadsheet tells me my zed cost me about £1400 a month. The 123d currently will cost around £800 using the same factors - although i`ll have a more accurate figure after 12 months of ownership.

I think when your talking of performance cars, the line between diesel & petrol gets smaller as the diesels start to loose their economy advantage. Although for me it works well as im saving quite a lot each month on fuel costs, whilst can still have fun when I want.

That's a good saving and defo worth having the 123D. What mileage is that based on?

Edited by stuarty

That's a good saving and defo worth having the 123D. What mileage is that based on?

A good part of the saving is my fuel costs, I am saving about £250 a month on fuel alone which isnt to be sniffed at. I looked at depreciation figures over 3 years. Looking on Autotrader, based upon me doing about 20k a year for 3 years my 123d would loose maybe 2500->3000 a year. Insurance is 1/2 the price of the zed, the road tax is 110 compared to 460. Tyres are more expensive, servicing is about the same. No MOT costs as the cars not even a year old atm, plus I still have dealers 3 year new car warranty to cover any defects which arise. Actually, ive just roughly recalculated and its about £600 a month its costing me atm.

Of course, figures vary all the time, so when i come to sell things may turn out different.

A good part of the saving is my fuel costs, I am saving about £250 a month on fuel alone which isnt to be sniffed at. I looked at depreciation figures over 3 years. Looking on Autotrader, based upon me doing about 20k a year for 3 years my 123d would loose maybe 2500->3000 a year. Insurance is 1/2 the price of the zed, the road tax is 110 compared to 460. Tyres are more expensive, servicing is about the same. No MOT costs as the cars not even a year old atm, plus I still have dealers 3 year new car warranty to cover any defects which arise. Actually, ive just roughly recalculated and its about £600 a month its costing me atm.

Of course, figures vary all the time, so when i come to sell things may turn out different.

Good for you mate, also you may not have a zed but to have a really nice new car. I liked my 123d but would have preferred the coupe, also I was only doing around 3k miles a year so couldn't justify a diesel. TBH I only bought it because it was the fastest 1 series that I could buy new in nov 2009 as they had stopped making the 130i and the 135i wasn't out yet. I've just bought a new 320i sports plus edition coupe and I'm loving it. Took my wife's mini to get detailed at Crawford, its a 56 mile round trip, mixed driving and I was getting 42mpg. I'm happy with that as its only just turned 800 miles so engine will still be tight.

Good for you mate, also you may not have a zed but to have a really nice new car. I liked my 123d but would have preferred the coupe, also I was only doing around 3k miles a year so couldn't justify a diesel. TBH I only bought it because it was the fastest 1 series that I could buy new in nov 2009 as they had stopped making the 130i and the 135i wasn't out yet. I've just bought a new 320i sports plus edition coupe and I'm loving it. Took my wife's mini to get detailed at Crawford, its a 56 mile round trip, mixed driving and I was getting 42mpg. I'm happy with that as its only just turned 800 miles so engine will still be tight.

Yep the 320i is a cracking car and 42mpg is awesome. I got the 123d because its one of the quickest diesels you can buy and once its out of warranty you can remap them to nearly 300bhp and 500nm of torque which will just be staggering in a car like that. I did consider a 330d coupe or 335 for a bit, but I prefer smaller cars and felt the 3 series was a bit too big for me atm for what I want.

If i was only doing 3000 miles a year I definitely would have kept my zed i think!

• Like 1