Diesel VS Petrol.

stuarty

I've got a New BMW 320i and my wife has a new Mini Cooper 1.6. I easily average around 36 mpg around town and 43 on the motorway. My wife's mini returns 37 mpg around town and 45 on the motorway.

Anyway, I've got a Mini Cooper clubman D all 4 as a courtesy car just now and it only does 31mpg around town and it went up to 41 on the motorway after resetting the computer.

Also the diesel has covered 5500 miles and my 320i has only covered 750 miles since new, therefore my cars still not even run in.

Add this to the extra you pay for diesel and its just not worth it. Only thing is the clubman D is free to road tax.

I'm personally really glad I got a derv TT.

Not only does it sound like a van but it returns a sweet 31 mpg with a combined driving style.

Book has it at 56 mpg on the combined cycle.........I've never once seen above 51mpg and that was on a 150 mile round trip to the lakes at a steady 70.

Diesels are boring and make a horrible noise.

The prosecution rests, m'lud.

Yea I hate diesels too, I once bought a new 2007 Astra Sri 150 bhp diesel (16v). I took it to a VX dealers for a warranty problem regarding condensation in the tail light.

The VX dealer gave me a new Astra VXR as a courtesy car. I drove it half way home, turned and drove straight back to the dealers and told them to order me an Astra VXR and keep the SRI diesel!

• Like 1

Petrol cars have really come along now no end, but apart from my zed, the last 3 cars ive had have all been diesels. It really depends on how many miles a year you do. I once worked out that you need to do over 12,000 a year in order to make the diesel be cheaper - when you factor in the mpg & cost of diesel.

Most modern diesels dont seem to be as economical as older ones. My 123d and my wifes Juke are both just doing 48->50mpg average. Whereas, my old mk4 Golf TDI used to always do 58mpg on average week in / week out. It often used to do 65mpg and even 73mpg once average door-to-door on trips out. My mates just bought a 53 plate Vectra 2.0DTI and even though he says he cruises at 80mph everywhere, it still showing him 56mpg when we worked it out. When you compare that against the 35mpg you used to tend to get from 2litre petrol cars its a big difference.

Modern petrols also now seem to be more economical. You`d have to have got a 1.2litre car to get anything which could do 40mpg a while ago, but now a lot of the bigger engined cars are hitting that.

The difference between the 2 isnt as big as it used to be.

Petrol cars have really come along now no end, but apart from my zed, the last 3 cars ive had have all been diesels. It really depends on how many miles a year you do. I once worked out that you need to do over 12,000 a year in order to make the diesel be cheaper - when you factor in the mpg & cost of diesel.

Most modern diesels dont seem to be as economical as older ones. My 123d and my wifes Juke are both just doing 48->50mpg average. Whereas, my old mk4 Golf TDI used to always do 58mpg on average week in / week out. It often used to do 65mpg and even 73mpg once average door-to-door on trips out. My mates just bought a 53 plate Vectra 2.0DTI and even though he says he cruises at 80mph everywhere, it still showing him 56mpg when we worked it out. When you compare that against the 35mpg you used to tend to get from 2litre petrol cars its a big difference.

Modern petrols also now seem to be more economical. You`d have to have got a 1.2litre car to get anything which could do 40mpg a while ago, but now a lot of the bigger engined cars are hitting that.

The difference between the 2 isnt as big as it used to be.

Agree mate, I bought a new 123d in November 2009 and I only ever got 29 mpg but that was all cold start short distances. I traded it in April 2010 and went back to a second Astra VXR.

Great car though!

So are all the thread the OP makes ;lol:

That's no nice Dblock, Iol. I thought this was a friendly place.

I've been called a few things in my time but never boring! Lol.

Perhaps he was referring to any noise you make? :wink: :wink: :wink:

I know what you mean though, diesels are no longer the bargain they used to be. For small trips, a petrol engine is pretty much all you need and the smaller purchase price can often offset the higher MPG, especially when you take the cost of the fuel into account.

Edited by Ekona

My bmw 120d was fantastic for economy, 48-50 real world mpg all year round and remapped to 210+bhp. Even if I drove it like an idiot it would still do 42mpg.

However, sounded awful, 1st gear was pointless and when I felt like a spirited drive although the torque was bloody impressive it was no fun.

Petrol all the way for me now purely for the fun factor

• Like 1

Diesels as said can be economical but not as much as people think. It's assumed.

E.g. The BMW 530d isn't a good ok fuel as everyone thinks but it's quite fast for a diesel and doesn't feel like diesels of old. Also people never do their sums they have to add extra cost of car extra cost of fuel, extra cost of maintenance and more parts to go wrong. Turbos, injectors etc etc arent cheap and if diesels dont get hot urs not good for the engine your mpg isnt great.I've seen people sell good cars to buy new diesels thinking they are saving money because the tank lasts 50% longer but they spent 5-10k more on a new car.

I would not call the noise from a 6.7 Cummins Diesel engine horrible :bose: ..... but so far I have no idea where they fill them up. Not been to one single gas station that serves diesel yet :shrug:

before the zed i had a 330d with full exhaust and decats and actually sounded really good!!

However, although fairly quick, cant be put in the same catagory as the zed for the feel when you put your foot down!

Was also only getting about 37mpg but when you factor all the repair bills then the zed works out cheaper motoring!

To be fair Dip I was on the receiving end of a 3k loss in 4 weeks on a 5.5k merc which at that point I still had in my possession.

I HATE cars without any torque so the 2 litre petrol wasn't going to do the do, TTS was well out if price range and there were no other nice looking, fast(ish), economical cars knocking about on PCP (as I was fooked if it was going to get a massive loan out for a 4-5 year old car with no warranty).

However the fuel consumption turns out to be absolute BOLLOCKS, the car I test drove was about 25 minutes old and quite quiet (min is 3 years old and by the time I saw it I'd already signed on the dotted line).

Besides for all its foibles it's still a good car. Second and half slower than the zed, properly remapped with dpf delete would in real world keep up and in the twisties would leave the zed in a ball of flame in a hedge.

Horses for courses.

I'm personally really glad I got a derv TT.

Not only does it sound like a van but it returns a sweet 31 mpg with a combined driving style.

Book has it at 56 mpg on the combined cycle.........I've never once seen above 51mpg and that was on a 150 mile round trip to the lakes at a steady 70.

That's where you went wrong, drove too fast :wink: