Setup Satellite Disk

steve_b

Gents,

Not car related but kind of hoping someone out there may be able to help.

I am looking to setup a Sat Disk but really not sure how. Followed http://www.satcure.com/tech/compass.htm but just not getting it done.

No reference from house round where I want to put it so cannot cheat easily and line up quickly then fine tune using SLX satellite meter.

please help

what sat are you after? is this a fixed dish or motorised? if sky digital its about 28 degrees east, and thats 28 degreees due east of south. And even when you have found that you will need to get your vertical elevation correct. :thumbs:

cheers beavis, it is sky but it needs to be offset due to location and do not want to say too much about that.

According to the off sets it seems you need to point to the ground by a few degrees.

When I did this the meter picked up better but did not know if that was because of reflections from ground or really the correct angle.

What ever I did the Sky box did not get a lock....so no signal strength on it, therefore no pic. Do not know if I have to do something with LNB as did it before but did not write the key sequence to get to the Sky box to go in maintenance mode.

Guest prescience

Steve, to access the Installer Menu (hidden) go into System Setup from Services and press 0(zero) 1 select - not sure if that's what you mean

To get vertical elevation, you need to do a bit of trig. based on radius of earth (6370km), that satellites are in orbit 36,000 km above the equator and that UK is at 51.5 degs latitude. I can do the sums for you if you like?

cheers beavis, it is sky but it needs to be offset due to location and do not want to say too much about that.

According to the off sets it seems you need to point to the ground by a few degrees.

When I did this the meter picked up better but did not know if that was because of reflections from ground or really the correct angle.

What ever I did the Sky box did not get a lock....so no signal strength on it, therefore no pic. Do not know if I have to do something with LNB as did it before but did not write the key sequence to get to the Sky box to go in maintenance mode.

Have you no other houses near by with the dish pointing at sky? you need to be pointing 28 degrees due east of south. You will need the sat meter to get a good lock on the signal, most digi boxs are not quick enough to pick up signal, they always seem a little slow when you lock on. Also very small movements are required ... beleive me you can lose and miss the signal very quickly. :thumbs:

Gents found this site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/de.sullivan/ very good for the complete novice as has link to explain what each setting is, example ones and also a link to Swedish site with an app to do the Math so great.

Thanks for the help chaps.

Where I am people may be pointing to wrong satellite not Sky (Astra 2) therefore no good following them. they may be close so will have a go at the weekend.

Guest prescience
that UK is at 51.5 degs latitude.

Depends on where you live. My latitude is 56 degrees, 1 minute North. :D

It's something of a comfort for you and the wife no doubt; here, significantly nearer to the Equator, we'd like to send you our unused logs for use in July/August - if only it wasn't so expensive

Cheers Kev, the link is the same place as above I posted and yes its very good.

Will be doing it on Saturday so fingers crossed.

PS watch the Elise Trophy race on MotorsTv this Friday at 8 if you want to watch a good race.

Cheers Kev, the link is the same place as above I posted and yes its very good.

Will be doing it on Saturday so fingers crossed.

PS watch the Elise Trophy race on MotorsTv this Friday at 8 if you want to watch a good race.

We'll be away so not access to that channel... :thumbdown:

that UK is at 51.5 degs latitude.

Depends on where you live. My latitude is 56 degrees, 1 minute North. :D

It's something of a comfort for you and the wife no doubt; here, significantly nearer to the Equator, we'd like to send you our unused logs for use in July/August - if only it wasn't so expensive

:p:D