Sound Bars anyone?

14N

Hi All,

Been starting to look at sound bars, to 'enhance my TV viewing experience'.

If you believe the hype, it seems that having one of these slim bars below your TV can replace the 4 satellite and subwoofer surround sound speakers. Can it?

I don't currently have any kind of home cinema sound set up, so this seems a good option as I won't have to trail speaker cable around the living room.

Has anyone got, used or recommend a sound bar? I'm thinking of waiting for the sales to see if I can pick up a deal on one.

Are they any good?

Cheers, Ian

Well, after buying Martin's 19's and then also just buying a set of 4 winter tyres for my current wheels, so I don't bugger my new wheels up over the next few months, the "can't afford much else" category is one I fall into! :)

Can you point me in the direction of rtbiscuit's thread please mate?

i had great fun researching and learning, have to say i've very happy with my setup which cost me all in £400, and you'd spend about that on a decent soundbar.

best bet is to go somewhere you can listen to them., and try and get one with a seperate sub

I'm a bit of Hi-Fi buff myself and have had plenty of equipment over the years. What I would recommend if money is tight initially is buying a set of stereo speakers and a sub-woofer, but with a amp that is capable of "surround sound". That means you can add a centre speaker and rear speakers at a later date if you want to. If you are mainly using it to play the sound from the TV, then most broadcasts are only recorded in stereo anyway. Most amps with try to turn the stereo recording into surround sound (e.g. playing voices out of the centre speaker) but I wouldn't recommend this. Music listening is always better in stereo for the same reason. If you are wanting it for playing blu-rays and//or gaming then a surround sound is the way to go from the outset, but if not then a good quality stereo setup is recommended. And as I said, if you get a surround sound amp then you have the option to add surround speakers at a later date.