ECU reset

jell36

Quick question for you all, I know you can reset the ECU by the pedal dance along with the idle air volume learning etc and I know you can do it by disconnecting the battery. The question I have is do they both do the same thing and produce the same results? The reason I ask is because if you do the idle air volume learning then you have to warm your engine to operating temperature just before you do it, if you disconnect the battery then most likely the engine will be cold and so I would expect a different result. Also how long do you have to disconnect the battery for?

disconnecting thr battery doesn;t reset the car, codes are still stored on the ECU, i think it needs to be disconnected for a few hours to have an affect. and if a problem isn;t fixed they'll come straight back.

the TPS reset is different from the CEL reset both do different things.

if you want to read the code i'd get an OBDII reader or check the OBDII thread and find a local memeber with one to read it for you. you can read and check codes very easily and also reset them.

Thanks, I've got no CEL issues with my Z I was just curious if the two different methods produced different results, I know the battery has to be disconnected for a while but I haven't found anything that says how long. My car had a nice smooth idle until I cleaned the throttle body, since then I've done the full pedal dance several times over several months but the engine never feels as smooth as it did before the throttle body clean at idle so I wondered if a battery disconnect ECU reset might help. (the slightly rough idle is the usual one where the revs appear to be slightly too low for the car which is 650rpm according to my OBDII reader at the moment where as before the throttle body clean they looked spot on at 750rpm, aircon off)

I always thought that the idle speed on my Zed was too low to the point of questioning it on the site only to find that this is totally normal. Does the engine hesitate when you go to pull away or is it just that its not the same as it was before? Personally if the engine does the same as it did before other than tickover a few RPM lower i wouldn't worry about it.