Tips for maintaining a first car

rtbiscuit

i'm running a course for some of the a level students on the topic of maintaining your first car. its a one off 40 min thing for a group of 20 boys and girls. i'm in the midst of writing a little supporting hand out and i was adding some top tips at the bottom, i have a few, but wondered if any of you lot had any gems of wisdom for my students.

I can post up what i've written so far if you want a read. but basically in the session i'm going to cover, this is whats in the hand out.

Tyre pressure

Tread depth

oil level

coolant level

washer fluid

and wiper blades

at the same time i'll explain some of the basics of an engine, things to look out for and reasons for doing things.

tempted to add checking and topping up battery fluid.

Smells, sounds and vibrations that if left unchecked could lead to a hefty bill.

Brake Pads?

:poppy:

these will come up as i go through the session.; can;t make the hand out too long or it stops being useful. already at a page and a half

BASIC TOOLS YOU SHOULD HAVE IN YOUR CAR

· Tyre pressure gauge

· Tread depth gauge

· Air pump

SAFETY

· High viz Jacket

· Warning triangle

· First aid kit

BASIC CHECKS

Tyre pressure – check manual for correct level, check when the tyres are cold, use your own gauge, reading vary from garage to garage. (Should be weekly check but fortnightly is ok) [Don’t forget the spare]

Tread depth – legal limit is 1.6mm; readings should be taken across the width of the tyre, not just one spot. Uneven wear is an early indicator of suspension issues or bad inflation of tyre. (Should be a monthly check, but every 3-6 months is ok)

Oil Level – check manual for correct grade and viscosity of oil for top ups. Engine should be cold when checking the level. Lift out and clean dipstick before checking. You may need 2 or 3 checks. Level should be between the min and max line. Preferably near the max than the min. don’t overfill. (Should be a weekly check but fortnightly is ok)

Coolant level – check manual for correct type of coolant; if in doubt just use water. Coolant should be a 50/50 water/coolant mix. Check level is between min and max. top up if the level is low; don’t overfill. If it looks like mayonnaise in or around the filler seek professional advice. ( should be checked monthly but every 3-6 months is ok)

Washer Fluid – not really possible to check but you should keep it topped up. Ready mixed is the easiest but you can mix your own. Read label for instructions as dilution changes depending on the time of the year. i.e. heavy concentration for winter.

Wiper blades – if its smearing change them; sounds silly but visibility is everything. Better visibility, better braking distances, and quicker response time, less likely to have an accident. I would also recommend something like rainx treatment for the windscreen.

MR THOMPSONS TOP TIPS

· Tyres are the only thing connecting you to the road; they are expensive, but it’s an item you shouldn’t be cheap on. Don’t have to go top of the range, but avoid cheap tyres and part worns. They can make all the difference in an emergency especially in the wet.

· Visibility is everything; being able to see well especially in poor weather is very important. Use hydrophobic treatments on the windscreen replace worn wipers and keep the car clean could make all the difference in an emergency especially in poor visibility weather or night driving.

· Don’t run a fuel tank to empty; you don’t have to run it to empty, maybe refill when it gets to half way. Fuel pumps don’t like to be exposed. And you don’t want to suck sediment through the injectors. And if your fuel gauge is not accurate you might run out before you think you would.

· If you’re not sure of something seek professional advice, most good garages/mechanics will give advice without charging. And use recommended mechanics. There are some dodgy mechanics out there. And a trustworthy mechanic is very valuable.

· If there is a Haynes manual for your car its worth getting. You may not be able to do all the big jobs, but you’d be surprised how easy a lot of the small jobs like changing bulbs etc are.

You should maybe encompass all fluids if you are treating it as a quick visual check.

i.e. Brake reservoir would be as important for safety as oil level would be for maintenance. So include brake/clutch/steering reservoirs under the general umbrella of 'levels check'.

You should maybe encompass all fluids if you are treating it as a quick visual check.

i.e. Brake reservoir would be as important for safety as oil level would be for maintenance. So include brake/clutch/steering reservoirs under the general umbrella of 'levels check'.

good idea

A brief pointer on how tyres that arent illegal can be dangerous in bad conditions would be good

already included in my talk about that section, just mentally stored not written down. was going to expalin that although 1.6 is the legal limit, doesn;t mean you should actually wait till you hit it.

Remove all the bits about "should be monthly. but 3-6 is okay": Stick with what the HC says or they'll just get lazier and 3-6mths becomes 6-12mths.

Static CEL = okay to carry on if car feels okay, flashing CEL = stop immediately.

I thought all new batteries are sealed units???

Also I believe all fuel tanks are plastics so sediments are far and few between as far as I belive.

Seat Belt!! Top tip saves your life!!

Don't buy a Corsa and rice it out!!!

I'd watch the time limit too. I'm sure most wouldn't be doing big miles but it's worth mentioning that the frequency of checks should increase with mileage.

Would it be worth including 'check yourself links' to Direct Gov or such like to check the legalities of things like tyres, insurance, MOT etc etc. And possibly links to AA or such like for other stuff????

Would things like hoses be worth checking? Quick and easy visual check.

Something on hill parking - pointing wheels to the curb or parking in gear - saves you and others in the event of handbrake failure. Not such a concern now most kids are getting new cars but when I was at school and freshly passed, my mate had a clio that we could roll around to hide it as his handbrake was so knackered! :lol:

Edited by 350Chris

The wheel pointing thing I find really annoying. A range rover does it on our road, which yes is a hill so I know why he does it, but as you can barely fit one car down the middle having a foot worth of tyre sticking out makes getting past very difficult and on occasion impossible often causing havoc. In gear and a hefty tug on the hand brake is easily enough to keep most cars stationary, if the handbrake doesn't work then refer to one of Rich's points and get it sorted.