battery on way out ?

ewan221

Battery flat the other week, started with a jump and turned out I had left the head unit on. Went for run and all well until lest car for 3 days and it was flat again. RAC got me started but reckoned the battery was toast but local Kwick Fit tested and said all was fine with battery and alternator.

Again today battery flat (not used cat for 4 days), have it plugged in to battery charger now to give decent charge over night but also wondering if I have a short or bad earth from installing new head unit

Being an electrical numpty , how do I check if battery is actually toast and how do I go about looking for a short or bad earth

The problem with cars with big engines is that they need a lot of power to turn the engine over. Once a battery reaches a couple of years old and for one reason or another becomes flat then it'll never be able retain the power required and will go flat if not used every few days. By all means get your battery checked (any decent garage should have a battery tester) and check for a bad earth but with winter rapidly approaching you should really change it ASAP. My battery failed in a similar fashion to yours, went away for a month and although the battery wasn't flat there wasn't enough power to turn the engine over...recharging it only got a few more days out of it.

Pete

Mines doing the same Ewan, but its still the original Jap battery so for ten years its done a bloody good job.. :-)

Now if I can find a battery that would last as long it will be a happy day, if you've got a JDM bud remember you'll need a set of different terminal adaptors