iPod Virgin - Help

Kev946

I'm considerinng giving into the iPod as my car now has an interface to the car and iDrive. Having my entire music collection available with full track and artist listing really does appeal. I've had a Creative Muvo now for a few years, so know nothing about iPods. Can any of you iPod gurus answer a few questions.

1. Will they play my MP3's. I've avoided iTunes for the locked format and would like to continue downloading generic MP3's

2. I will need to create Playlists. What PC software do I need.

I've been looking at the new 80Gb iPod. This is £224 at Amazon. Any recommendations where to buy.

Thanks guys

Kev,

I have a 5th gen 30 gigs video one, and it's really quite good.

Itunes will play both your existing MP3s and their own format, but when you import your CDs it will transform them into apple's own format.

You basically have to have the library on your PC first, then copy it across to the ipod once you connect it.

At the beginning I found it quite confusing as I didn't want to have all the songs both on my PC AND on the Ipod, and if you don't set it up correctly, it'll synchronise both and wipe out IPOD stuff you spent ages to put on, simply because you got ird of it on your PC.

Videos are quite nice too.

You cn easily create your own playlists.

Thanks guys.

Am I forced to use iTunes software on the PC though. I'm currently using Windows Media Player 11 wit the library facility and all my music files are MP3. If it's going to convert them all to the iPod format then I won't bother.

I want to make sure I stay with the generic MP3 format. I hate the idea of locking myself into Apple's format.

Found these 2 FAQ's on the Apple Website, so looks like I'm OK but wil have to switch to iTunes.

Question: What music (jukebox) software do I need on my computer to use iPod?

Answer: iPod comes with iTunes for Macintosh and iTunes for Windows.

iPod is fully integrated with iTunes. iTunes allows you to "rip" tracks from CDs into MP3 or AAC format and organize your music library by creating playlists. And every time you plug iPod into your computer, your music library--complete with playlists--is automatically transferred over FireWire or USB 2.0. See the iTunes website for upgrades to iTunes.

Question: What audio formats does iPod work with?

Answer:

* Mac: AAC (up to 320 kbit/s), MP3 (up to 320 kbit/s), MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR), WAV, AIFF, Audible.

* Windows: AAC (up to 320 kbit/s), MP3 (up to 320 kbit/s), MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR), WAV, Audible.

Guest prescience

Kev,

As ir_fuel says you have to use iTunes but coming from WMP11 as I did, I found it a bit different to get used to initially - I don't think it's as intuitive. But its all fairly automatic, once you get it going and if you persevere through a couple of swearing fits :)

I use albumbase.com for my music :teeth:

Is there an easyway to get tracks off your ipod back onto your pc? I tried some software that was reccomended last week & although it worked it corrupted my ipod :angry: and I had to reset to factory

Is there an easyway to get tracks off your ipod back onto your pc? I tried some software that was reccomended last week & although it worked it corrupted my ipod :angry: and I had to reset to factory

Doesn't it just show up as an additonal disk drive so you can drag and drop?

No, unfortunatley not. I did a bit of googling on this and its something that apple left out. I had a Creativ Zen before an Ipod & that was simple drag & drop to get tracks on & off.

An ipod shows as an additional drive in "My Computer" but you can only get things like calenders off that way

No, unfortunatley not. I did a bit of googling on this and its something that apple left out. I had a Creativ Zen before an Ipod & that was simple drag & drop to get tracks on & off.

An ipod shows as an additional drive in "My Computer" but you can only get things like calenders off that way

Sneaky. I would go with the Creative if the interface to the car's system was available.

I found a way of doing this by accident. But its not very userfriendly and I dont think it works for songs encoded with iTunes or bought on the iTunes store as they have a DRM key stored on the iPod somewhere.

Apparently when you initialize your iPod on an Apple, and format it on that machine and init it with iTunes and the whole thing, when connecting it to a windows pc it shows up in your "my computer" and you can browse the folders. The only downside is that it renames all your mp3 files, so you can copy them, but the filenames are complete nonsense.

and if you don't set it up correctly, it'll synchronise both and wipe out IPOD stuff you spent ages to put on, simply because you got ird of it on your PC.

What do you need to do to stop it doing this?

I fookin hate i-pods with their rules and regulations and unstable software. I've got a 60Gb video and a 4gb nano. Wonderfully well engineered ergonomic masterpieces, but they're still shite. I have to re-boot the machines at least once a week and I've even had to do a complete software re-install on the nano. I've also got a 40Gb i-River and although it's a good bit bigger than the 60Gb video i-pod and it looks like a toaster, I love it for it's simplicity. It's just basically an external hard drive where you can store everything in folders like windows explorer (without i-Tunes rearranging compilation albums so that you've got like 100 artists with one track each!!) and it plays absolutely anything. Even plays video now I upgraded the firmware.

I've got a video ipod and really like it. I use it mainly with itrip in the car which isn't the best quality but ok for the time being. I find itunes very easy to use and have had no problems at all as yet.

Ihave a griffin roadtrip FM transmitter and its pretty good.

You have a much poorer sound quality though due to the FM transmission and mp3 (type) format.

personally at this moment in time, you cannot beat a good old CD!

You have a much poorer sound quality though due to the FM transmission and mp3 (type) format.

BMW do an iPod MOST interface to integrate with the on-board iDrive. Means I get a full display and control through the iDrive screen... B)

BMW do an iPod MOST interface to integrate with the on-board iDrive. Means I get a full display and control through the iDrive screen... B)

Thats cool, personally im still not a fan, i like to hear everything that i should and not miss out on certain frequencies

Thats cool, personally im still not a fan, i like to hear everything that i should and not miss out on certain frequencies

Use a high enough bitrate for your mp3's ;)

The quality is still not the same as CDs.

True, but with the Logic 7 BMW sound system with surround sound, even low bit rate MP3's sound amazing... B)

Use a high enough bitrate for your mp3's ;)

The quality is still not the same as CDs.

And you are going to hear that difference in a car like the Z? ;)