Winter Tyres - money no object.

The Bounty Bar Kid

Usually wintercontacts and blizzacks but you need to be more specific as 1 will have better wet grip than the other or be better on snow but not as good on ice etc etc. What do you need the tyre for e.g. best snow grip, best wet grip, best ice grip or dry cold grip?

I've got the the Dunlop wintersports that won the Autobild test fitted to my Grande Punto for winter. Last year wasn't as bad as the two previous years ice-wise, but I do go over ungritted fell roads and I must say driving on frozen tarmac hardly felt any worse that a wet day! Although I did take it a bit easier, I had very little trouble driving out through the snow "ruts" to overtake crawling traffic on the main road.

The only thing I noticed is that the sidewalls aren't that stiff, so maybe get a speed rating or two up from what it says.

I have absolutely no idea, but as this is a tyre thread I'm pretty sure the world will implode if I don't at least post in here :D

Might be worth seeing what the major OEM manufacturers recommend, as they're unlikely to be too far off the top of the list (Merc, Audi, Porsche etc).

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I ended up with buying Michelin Pilot Alpin. Got them at a great price too IMHO. Quoted ~£1200 from most places. Got quoted £970 from one place so decided to go with them (this was when I originally posted this thread). Rang them up the other day to double check quote. They told me £860.

However when I went there yesterday to pay for them (in advance) he admitted to me that he had made a mistake. He has no idea where he got the number £860 from. Should have been £970, but as he quoted me £860, that's what he'd chart me! Oh happy days! Getting them fitted on Thursday. Can't wait!

OK so I ended up with buying Michelin Pilot Alpin. Got them at a great price too IMHO. Quoted ~£1200 from most places. Got quoted £970 from one place so decided to go with them (this was when I originally posted this thread). Rang them up the other day to double check quote. They told me £860.

However when I went there yesterday to pay for them (in advance) he admitted to me that he had made a mistake. He has no idea where he got the number £860 from. Should have been £970, but as he quoted me £860, that's what he'd chart me! Oh happy days! Getting them fitted on Thursday. Can't wait!

Are you going to share that info for us "local" chaps Dips :)

some on here had aplay around with nankang winter tyres and the consensus seemed to be even bad winter tyres are better than good summer tyres when the weather gets bad.

but to be honest your looking at 2 weeks of the year.

for the uk most of the winter is cold and wet. so you want a tyre for cold and wet, but then a third set for 2 weeks which are snow optimised.

thats the problem in the UK they only do half the job, they grit most of the roads but not all of them, which means you can;t really run snow socks as you'll be putting them on and taking them off all the time. they should do the same as the scandinavians. have a cut off date. and then everyone swaps to their winter tyres. and they don't grit the roads, but just snow plow them when needed.

would save the country millions in grit each year

Well these cold weather tyres will be better in the snow than my summer tyres (Michelin Pilot Super Sports). Yes a third set of snow tyres/winter tyres would be ideal but I wouldn't be able to change my tyres over if it snowed. Where I live has heavy snowfall when it does happen. Not jacking my zed but on snow! No way! Could see it all go wrong.

Well these cold weather tyres will be better in the snow than my summer tyres (Michelin Pilot Super Sports). Yes a third set of snow tyres/winter tyres would be ideal but I wouldn't be able to change my tyres over if it snowed. Where I live has heavy snowfall when it does happen. Not jacking my zed but on snow! No way! Could see it all go wrong.

no i klnow what you mean, it becomes a case of having 3 sets of wheels and somewhere dry to swap them over. those winter tyres you have will make a big difference even if it snows you'll be a lot better off than anyone on summer tyres.

some on here had aplay around with nankang winter tyres and the consensus seemed to be even bad winter tyres are better than good summer tyres when the weather gets bad.

but to be honest your looking at 2 weeks of the year.

for the uk most of the winter is cold and wet. so you want a tyre for cold and wet, but then a third set for 2 weeks which are snow optimised.

thats the problem in the UK they only do half the job, they grit most of the roads but not all of them, which means you can;t really run snow socks as you'll be putting them on and taking them off all the time. they should do the same as the scandinavians. have a cut off date. and then everyone swaps to their winter tyres. and they don't grit the roads, but just snow plow them when needed.

would save the country millions in grit each year

I agree SV2's are great for the price and because they are cheap you can get afford to get winter tyres.

2 weeks? Your ok you live "daan saaf" buy in Scotland it can snow whenever and regularly hits icy temps at night.

Sounds like a result Dip. I had a small amount of snow on the roof of the car yesterday early and the roads were cold and greasy. I put the winters on - they just give you a lot more confidence, particularly as 95% of my trips starts at 7am and are over by 10.00am when on average its colder and damper.

I have driven all through winter on my normal tyres for 3 years now :shrug:

Just take it steady and if it is that bad don't go anywhere...

I am not saying don't bother as I have never missed a days work through bad weather

To me it was an easy decision. I got the extra wheels second hand very cheaply, with nearly new winter tyres already on. I live 500 feet up quite a steep hill which is not always gritted succesfully. It doubles the life of the summer tyres. It all made sense to me.

I am not saying don't bother as I have never missed a days work through bad weather

To me it was an easy decision. I got the extra wheels second hand very cheaply, with nearly new winter tyres already on. I live 500 feet up quite a steep hill which is not always gritted succesfully. It doubles the life of the summer tyres. It all made sense to me.

Snap. And also thanx to you I got a spare set of alloys, at a great price, to mount these winter tyres on!

I'm the same, but down south where i am we don;t seem to get hit as bad as the rest of the country. I've been able to get into work, when colleagues from the same area in FWD apparently haven't

Live on a ridiculously tricky hill. So many accidents have happened on it just when its wet. People don't know how to drive and it can be dangerous in parts. Esp with rabbits, deer, pheasants and foxes running around all the time. So better to then not to. Also better performance when cold and wet. Which is what I'm all about!