Rusty or what

4RE Leather

I do like a challenge and when I was given this .22 Air rifle that had been left in a old wooden shed for years by the look of it I thought why not.

Trouble is it was dark.

When I saw it in the cold light of day I wondered just what the heck I had taken on.

My hobby is buying old firearms and restoring them then selling them on, but this is by far the worst restoration I have taken on.

Appologies if some are upside down but I uploaded them the Photobucket without realising they were like it!

DevilsDykeSummer2012036.jpg

DevilsDykeSummer2012040.jpg

DevilsDykeSummer2012039.jpg

DevilsDykeSummer2012038.jpg

DevilsDykeSummer2012037.jpg

DevilsDykeSummer2012035.jpg

DevilsDykeSummer2012030.jpg

DevilsDykeSummer2012031.jpg

DevilsDykeSummer2012029.jpg

:scare:

The last 2 I did were a Lee Enfiled 303 with King George 5th bayonet and a 1886 Austro/Hungarian Mannlicher which I sleeved with 4.10 shotgun barrel so i could have some fun with them.

I have them up for sale at Surrey Guns in Wallington but they seem reluctant to tell me if there is any interest or not.

So might have to get them back.

So you think its a BSA Chris? You might be right as the sights most definately are.

Unfortunately the place where they used to put BSA on is a tad corroded.

Despite all the rust and manky sights It fired 10 shots into a 2" circle at 25 yds.

Me thinks a phone call to Chambers gun makers in Scotland for a nice big OXE Spring should do the trick.

I will attempt to get the action out 2moro and put some more pictures up:)

:)

thats some work right there lol.gif

least it will keep you out of trouble for a while lol.gif

if you need any help with the wood stock i can clean it up and re varnish for you

It is my winter project but knowing me it will be done by the weekend lol

I love working with wood and it took me 4 months to shape a bit of Canadian walnut from a solid block into a stock with a chin rest carved in it,

a while back.

drive1.gif

Edited by 4RE Leather

thats some work right there :lol:

least it will keep you out of trouble for a while :lol:

if you need any help with the wood stock i can clean it up and re varnish for you

It is my winter project but knowing me it will be done by the wekend lol

I love working with wood and it took me 4 months to shape a bit of Canadian walnut from a solid block into a stock with a chin rest carved in it,

a while back.

:drive1

I bought a Canadian rifle once, very good condition, never used only dropped once :thumbs:

thats some work right there :lol:

least it will keep you out of trouble for a while :lol:

It is my winter project but knowing me it will be done by the wekend lol

a while back.

I bought a Canadian rifle once, very good condition, never used only dropped once :thumbs:

Thought that was an Italian Rifle SMD!

Looking forward to seeing the results I used to shoot with a BSA a few years ago was a great air rifle. Love the pull down levers over the split barrel type

Underleavers:)

This one was made in the earlie 80's but could be older.

The spring seems weak and i think its due to the fact it had a pellet in it and was cocked.

My neighbors dad died a few months back and it belonged to him, so how long it's been under load we dont know!

Could have been nasty as checking to see if it was loaded is always the 1st thing you do.

Especially as it was handed to me barrel 1st!!! :scare:

This is a very interesting topic. I'd love to see some of your previous restorations too if you have the pics and the time to post them?

:)

I need to retreive the Lee Enfield and maninlicher from the gun shop tomorrow as they have had them for 9 months now and not sold them!

I will put up a little poachers gun I which was my 1st restoration I did. hence i will never part with it:)

1ST one is a old belgium "Poachers Gun" as such it is made as light as possible by taking out the centre of the stock to help reduce weight.

This one is also known as a "Folding Shotgun" and once folded like in the pictures it can slip inside a large purpose made sleeve sewn into the lining under a great coat or simular.

I got this for £60 from a Game Keepers fair about 8 years ago and it was in a sorry looking but usable condition.

I stripped it all down, sanded the wood and re-coloured it and the same with the metal work.

All rust and yuk was rubbed down with wire wool and then degreased using a mild solvent.

Then you apply the Gun blue direct from the bottle onto the metal using an applicator.

If the metal turns blue you have done a good job of preparing it. If not you have to start over.

Shot size is .410.

Appologies for the pictures being upside down. but they are the right way up when they are in the folder in my documents.

As soon as photobucket gets hold of them most get flipped over. I have tried the tools and rotate and save. but still to no avail sad.gif

POACHERSGUN.jpg

POACHERSGUN6.jpg

POACHERSGUN5.jpg

POACHERSGUN4.jpg

POACHERSGUN3.jpg

POACHERSGUN2.jpg

When I got this it was a solid block of Canadian Dark Walnut imported from the USA. It came with a diagramme and instructions.

I never used any power tool what so ever and the tools I did use were all carpenters wood working chisles and a wood vice.

It literally was wooden hammer and chisel and sandpaper.

HW97K.jpg

HW97K2.jpg

I think I kept picking it up and putting it back down over most of the winter of 2007.

It is a stock for a .22 Air rifle WEHRAUCH HW 97K Underlever.

The next shot shows the actual air rifle it is intended for but needs a bit shaved off the length.

The brass trigger and guard is another adaption of mine and this is fitted with a Ox spring to bring the power up and it is on the money all day at 50 yards.

HW97K4.jpg

HW97K3.jpg

A few more toys in the box.

From top down

Tikka 5.56 centrefire

Sako Quad barrelwith .22 LR attached

12 bore Semi camo edition

12 bore single barrel.

MY4.jpg

Edited by 4RE Leather

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Diana G80 is actually a Milbro made under licence,

It is infact late 60's early 70's.

As suspected the barrel is heavily pitted and not sure if the blue will take so need a plan B

Hopefully I wont have to use hammerite and the painstaking task of flattening it.

Anyway here are a few pictures of many hours work and little to show for it.

DSCF0378.jpg

DSCF0379.jpg

DSCF0380.jpg

As RT Biscuit said the stock needed to be sanded down, stained and varnished,

This is the 2nd coat of varnish and I need to sand this down with fine paper and apply a further coat of varnish.

Proberbly let it harden for a few weeks then use T-Cut.

DSCF0377.jpg

The springs I have are no good as they wont fit in the piston,

So I ordered an OX spring No 2 from Chambers Gun Makers in Scotland for £20

In addition a new leather seal

I will update as I go.

Sorry Stew the Mannilicher has been sold from the gun shop so cant get any pictures but may have some old prints.