Problem! (Cooling/Fans/Sensors)

Wasso

Okay I have encountered my first potential issues in nearly 3 years of ownership, not bad eh.

Here is the problem.

The car is driven 10 miles from home to work with outside ambient temps ranging from 10-16 degrees. I leave work and sit in stop start traffic for 10 mins. My rad fans will kick in at 90/91 degrees as can be shown by the below OBD iPhone App.

00F430DE-DEEA-422A-B1B9-F6D6DE4723B9-2079-0000026C97C01D6F.jpg

The fans cool the water temps down to 85 degrees when they then shut off.

Start stop traffic again a little later in my journey and the fans kick in as necessary at 90/91 degrees. Temps reduce back to 85 and the fans shut off.

Now on the 3rd time the temps rise to 90/91 the fans activate but never turn off. From watching my coolant temps they never reduce down below 88 degrees, even when driving at say 30-40mph over say 1/4 of a mile.

So! Has anyone experienced such a strange problem or have any ideas of the root cause?

There could be a number of options from Sensors, Stats, Low coolant (which the level is fine) etc?

Anyone? :thumbs:

Have you driven more than 1/4 mile after it happens the 3rd time? :)

Worth a bash, have to say though its literally on constantly which isn't normal. What I don't understand is when the fan activates the first and second time it turns off as a result of bringing the temps below 86 degrees. Yet the 3rd time it doesn't reduce the temps anymore than 88??

Maybe the thermostate that has stuck in the closed position which in turn isn't allowing the hot water to circulate round all of the engine. Instead it is remaining in the top end which isn't allowing time for the fan sensors to react to the small temp drops.

Just a thought.

Air lock? Thermostat getting stuck, but if it was you would expect to see a rise in temp? Fan stat playing up? Bad connection ?

Relay sticking on I recon

I'd be surprised with an airlock as I've not tampered with the cooling system? How else would a air lock suddenly appear? Potential but I'm really thinking electrical for some reason.

That could be relevant, but what is crazy how it works twice then fails to stop on the third activation??

I'm wondering if its a faulty thermostat or something. Problem is this kind of issue can take ages to resolve with multiple attempts and huge cost. I'll have a gander on my350z as well to see what come up with. Grrrr I hate problems like this.

Thanks for the suggestions.... Just wish someone else has come across this issue?

If the temp is not dropping below 88 the fans should not turn of so the problem - if there is one is why is the temp not dropping - my initial thought would be that the ambient under bonnet temp is now higher due to having been driving a while however, I assume that your used to what your Zed does and this is a new thing?

So assuming this is a new feature you need to see why you're not cooling efficiently anymore.

Check for plastic and crap blown into the rad anything else that would reduce airflow (under tray now on the M6 rather than under car etc :lol: )

If all looks good flush the coolant system and treat her to some new water and anti freeze (it's nearly winter anyway) won't cost that much and may solve the problem????

Just my first thoughts :thumbs:

If the temp is not dropping below 88 the fans should not turn of so the problem - if there is one is why is the temp not dropping - my initial thought would be that the ambient under bonnet temp is now higher due to having been driving a while however, I assume that your used to what your Zed does and this is a new thing?

So assuming this is a new feature you need to see why you're not cooling efficiently anymore.

Check for plastic and crap blown into the rad anything else that would reduce airflow (under tray now on the M6 rather than under car etc :lol: )

If all looks good flush the coolant system and treat her to some new water and anti freeze (it's nearly winter anyway) won't cost that much and may solve the problem????

That's why I suggested going further than 1/4 mile :thumbs: However, I think the higher ambient temperature is almost certainly being caused by "reflected" heat under the bonnet caused by all that feckin polishing ;)

That's why I suggested going further than 1/4 mile :thumbs: However, I think the higher ambient temperature is almost certainly being caused by "reflected" heat under the bonnet caused by all that feckin polishing ;)

:lol: PMSL that could be the answer.

I like your thinking Chris I'll ring her down :surrender:

I'll have a check over in the morning but the other evening didn't see anything that 'may' contribute to the issue.

I see what you're saying about ambient temps but I've never know the fan to stay on this long. I'll have another gander tomorrow for sure.

Fluids were all changed last year during a FULL fluid change including dif and gearbox etc. at least a fluid change is simple and may drain out any issues if any? Stage one of problem solving I guess.

This is interesting.....

http://my350z.com/forum/tuning/553106-u ... pdate.html

Who's recently been for a tune via Uprev Software.

A call to Jez I think is in order :shrug:

It's a possible as it seems to tie in?

That has to e your first port of call before toy start playing around with the cooling system :thumbs: , if you changed your fluid last year I can't see that being the problem :shrug:

I changed the fan on temp to 90 deg C (its usually 100 deg C). Theres no option to change the off point in the Uprev software.

:boxing:

Why?

I see why they've done it in America as it helps reduce intake ambient temps, but now my fan is continuously on???

I personally don't want it on because there's never been a need before. The temps never rise above 91/92 so I don't see a reason to reduce it to 85?

You might as well sell the berks and the exhaust, can't hear them now anyway! :lol:

Or just pretend it's the supercharger! :#1:

It's not that loud but continuously annoying. I could understand if I was FI but I'm not :shrug:

Why?

I think we spoke about it while you were in the car during the mapping?

I can change it back no probs if its annoying.

I don't recall anything about changing the fans, otherwise I'd have come straight to you with the problem. Only by chance did I find the latest Uprev update includes the option to change the fan initiation point.

I'll be heading to Dorset the second weekend of October so I'll pop in :thumbs: