Jap imports less valueable?

Out of curiosity from hearing an advert on the radio, I checked how much my car is worth with webuyanycar.

It came back with an offer of £5250 (£2k less than it's value). But, they assume it's a UK car. If you change the assumption to a Japanese import (which it is), the value drops down to £2620.

Are Jap cars really worth that much less to the public? There isn't even that much difference between them on a 350z?

Yes, Jap imports are certainly worth less than a U.K car, especially to dealers. One of the problems is that on many of these imports you can never be sure of the correct mileage or service history. Some sellers either have no idea of the true mileage and will come up with all sorts of stories, excuses or just tell lies. However as Zed's get older I'd expect the price gap between U.K's and imports to narrow gradually.

Pete

I don't understand this... My import is valued by Nissan UK @ £8.8k (that's what they'd give me). 2006 GT with 33k miles. Is there different scales of imports?

What if it was imported to the UK as NEW and registered 0 miles in the UK with full UK service history against a UK nissan branch? Surely then it's on par with UK sales dependant on the GPS not being Jap?

£2 less? :wacko:

Haha, well spotted. I meant £2k.

I've never really looked into it, but why is there such a value gap to a dealer? I always thought they were the same priced as a UK model car. I don't really see what the difference is.

What if it was imported to the UK as NEW and registered 0 miles in the UK with full UK service history against a UK nissan branch? Surely then it's on par with UK sales dependant on the GPS not being Jap?

Nope. It wouldn't be the same spec or have the UK warranty that new UK zeds have.

Imports will always be worth less.

Nope. It wouldn't be the same spec or have the UK warranty that new UK zeds have.

Imports will always be worth less.

But what if it was imported by Nissan UK... and sold via Nissan UK from 0? Pretty sure it would have full warranty.

That's what mine is... Imported by Nissan UK Director 0 miles to custom spec JAP/UK hybrid :blink: - Have I just got an odd little car? :p

Nissan told me that it's not considered an import as they got it from new and sold it via UK from new. Whole log book is all UK. Mine is the only car I've seen this story from, if anyone can help it would be great!

It can't have warranty if it's not a UK car...........

It's either a JDM or UKDM.

I'd seriously suggest you ensure your insurance reflects the fact its a JDM.

Fully understand what you mean here... Shall enquire with Nissan but as far as they're concerned I can warranty it with them and they'll even buy it off me for £8.8k (Which doesn't sound like import price to me!).

This isn't with a crappy dealer either, it's with Nissan Ancaster. It has UK ports as far as I'm aware for diagnostics also :blush: .

Shall get some pics up next week in a new thread to dig deeper.

No one's mentioned that this is WEBUYANYCAR, not glasses' guide or similar.

They offer sod all for cars because essentially they take anything and have to be at least reasonably sure they can sell it on for a profit. This is not the value of your car, just what they in particular will pay for it.

Because of the way they trade and the types of cars they're used to dealing with, i'm not surprised that they steer clear of import vehicles- especially when there is not shortage of UK models for the 350z. An import is more likely to stay on their books for longer, take up storage space, all the while depreciating right in front of them. They're assessing it in terms of risk to themselves and vs the UK car, and there is more risk in the import hence the price.

I've got to agree with rtbiscuit, JDM models are not undersealed at all as the japanese don't cover their roads in salt in wintertime. Also the general spec levels are not the same as UKDM cars, i 'm not sure if you remember the Top Gear test when they tested the 350Z Clarkesons biggest gripe was the quality of the plastics and their poor fit. Nissan UK told him that the car they were testing wasn't a UKDM car, and the quality for the UKDM cars would be much improved.