List of diesel cars with paddle shifters?

marzman

Hey...

So im planning on buying another car before christmas to use mostly as a daily driver. I've got a fiesta as a second car at the moment, but the other half is getting close to passing her driving test so she'll be in this permanently before too long. Therefore i'd like to get myself another car rather than having to use the zed all the time, for business trips and such.

My budget is up to about £12k. It has to be diesel, and it has to be automatic with paddle shifters (what, i like them okay? :blush: ). Im not too concerned about mileage at £12k at this point.

My first choice is a C-Class, as i've test driven one recently and loved it and have always loved Mercs - however i was just wondering what else is out there... :shrug:

1. Mercedes C-Class

Dare I even suggest that an early (2008) Jaguar XF can be had for that budget too..

Others could be

A4, A4 Cab, A6, Golf, 325d M, 335d :shrug:

Hmmm, an XF could be an option :lol:

Im not sure about VAG cars... i've heard of several people that have had various VAG vehicles that have had to have major engine work - so not sure how reliable they are?

Does anyone know if any Jap cars with paddles?

Hey Chris,

The 535d I have is auto no ps though. I have to say its the best all round car I've owned, once I get round to having it mapped it will be close to 350bhp and 500lbs of torque from the 3L twin turbo diesel engine. Very quick, cheap to run and reliable, if it wasn't for kids I would have the 335d as it looks better. There's a company in Stafford called Autovogue and they do unique styling kits on Beemers and Audis. Worth a look on their site too

:thumbs:

Im not sure about VAG cars... i've heard of several people that have had various VAG vehicles that have had to have major engine work - so not sure how reliable they are?

You say this after saying you want a Merc?!

I have 3 friends who own them, 2 C Class, 1 E Class.

All have spent extensive time in the dealers getting recurring electrical issues sorted (or not sorted in one case).

Dare I even suggest that an early (2008) Jaguar XF can be had for that budget too..

Others could be

A4, A4 Cab, A6, Golf, 325d M, 335d :shrug:

Hmmm, an XF could be an option :lol:

Does anyone know if any Jap cars with paddles?

I had 2 A3's. 1st was a 2004, dmf and head gasket went so I sold it on and got a 2007 model. Had injector issues and dpf issues

Audi are (in my experience) not reliable

You say this after saying you want a Merc?!

I have 3 friends who own them, 2 C Class, 1 E Class.

All have spent extensive time in the dealers getting recurring electrical issues sorted (or not sorted in one case).

+1 one of my mates has an slk & a c class and both have had no end of problems. I was actually considering a C220 or C250 CDI before I bought my 123d but all the owner reviews I read did not make for good reading.

My family have had quite a few VAG cars and not had any major problems at all. My last was a Golf GT TDI which I bought at 80,000 miles and sold with 169,000 on the clock. Still ran like new and was returning 60mpg average all the time, with a personal best of 76mpg on a 40mile door-to-door trip.

Why not just sell the zed and get something inbetween like a 335d or a nice e46 m3 and spend the rest of fuel?

Nah, i want to keep the zed indefinitely. I enjoy the ownerhip, getting out to meets, the forum etc etc. I could sell the zed and get something decent like a 911, current model XK8, Range Rover Sport etc - but ultimately i'll be left in the same position of not wanting to use my nice car for work.

I had 2 A3's. 1st was a 2004, dmf and head gasket went so I sold it on and got a 2007 model. Had injector issues and dpf issues

Audi are (in my experience) not reliable

This is what i mean... there seam to be an array of engine issues experienced by VAG cars which really puts me off.

Hey Chris,

The 535d I have is auto no ps though. I have to say its the best all round car I've owned, once I get round to having it mapped it will be close to 350bhp and 500lbs of torque from the 3L twin turbo diesel engine. Very quick, cheap to run and reliable, if it wasn't for kids I would have the 335d as it looks better. There's a company in Stafford called Autovogue and they do unique styling kits on Beemers and Audis. Worth a look on their site too

:thumbs:

Love the 5-series dude, although their economy's not great which i think is whats putting me off? They get about 35mpg which i can get out of my zed on a motorway run if i try... :lol: The C-Class diesel that im looking at is 56mpg B)