Question for you Gym people

nixy

I used to go to a gym regulary on my way home from work but I worked flexi time then so was always still home at a reasonable time and would then eat. Since I've changed jobs I've changed gyms. I work longer hours and sometimes don't leave work until 6pm. I live very close to work now and need to pass home to get to the gym. By the time I've finished work I'm starving. What's the best thing to do? Go home and eat, then go to the gym OR go to the gym and get home at about 8.30 before eating my evening meal?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd try to eat a substantial lunch and then go straight to the gym from work. Two reasons for this: first I HATE doing exercise on a full stomach, and second because if you go home first you might realise how comfortable and warm the sofa is compared to the gym. :thumbs:

DB

Protein shake about 45 mins before going to the gym and then something low carb, low fat for tea afterwards.

Some very tasty protein shakes out there that are meal replacements.

I use BSN syntha 6 which tastes like a McDonald's strawberry milkshake.

Even though your female you would still benefit from these. You could even have a double shake for a dinner after the gym instead of a meal.

Won't a protein shake be extra calories I wouldn't normally have Jay? I thought they were mega calorific?

As for substantial lunch? When you work somewhere where you have to poke your sandwich down your throat without swallowing because you're so busy............probably not gonna happen!

Yep Jason's right. You have a 20 min window before your muscles start to eat themselves . Literally lol. Luckily bsn syntha 6 has 6 different proteins so the one before the gym is still working when your training and once you are finished.

If you want something to make you work harder try mutant nox from anabolic legions. I have this 20 mins before training and it really makes you want to work hard.

Won't a protein shake be extra calories I wouldn't normally have Jay? I thought they were mega calorific?

As for substantial lunch? When you work somewhere where you have to poke your sandwich down your throat without swallowing because you're so busy............probably not gonna happen!

Not all are high calorie and most will be substantially lower than your meals. The calories is something you need to train, the difference is the type of stuff that's giving you the calories. You get good energy and bad energy

It does have more calories yes.. but it gives you the extra energy that you need when your working out, especially if you are not having a balanced lunch. I dont think you would need to take a protein shake after the gym as your not trying to build muscle... just as long as you have a decent dinner with plenty of natural protein in it. I would have to agree with the others tho... dont go to the gym with a full stomach... never a good idea :lol:

mutant nox from anabolic legions Neil.... what you trying to do to nixy lol she would be crazy if she took that stuff :lol: she is already a woman on a bloody mission. However its bloody good stuff.... worked for me aswell dude :thumbs:

I'm on over 4000 calories a day at the moment and 8 small meals, some of which are replaced with protein shakes. Ive lost over 2 inches in my waste in just over 4 weeks. Put 2 inches on my chest and back though :lol: now 48 inches around the chest :#1:

mutant nox from anabolic legions Neil.... what you trying to do to nixy lol she would be crazy if she took that stuff :lol: she is already a woman on a bloody mission. However its bloody good stuff.... worked for me aswell dude :thumbs:

:lol: I can picture her in there doing 150kg squats with that stuff lmao

Right, Neil you're starting to talk in 'planet zog' language now.....

My normal food routine is very healthy. At the moment I eat around 1200 - 1500 calories a day. Not much in the way of carbs at all. No potatoes, bread or pasta hardly ever. I eat mainly fish and vegetables and salad, chicken occasionally and red meat hardly ever.

My gym routine is treadmill, cross trainer, bike, rower, then some of the weights machines. Nothing mega serious, just enough to keep fit. I've put a few pounds on recently which I want to shift. I definitely wouldn't want a protein shake instead of a meal but if it wasn't too many calories I could do one before I went to the gym if it stopped me passing out with hunger by the time I got there? Maybe some fruit would do? Isn't it bad eating so late at night?

You need to start eating carbs / slow burning food for your lunch as that will give you the energy you will need at night time. Protein shake would be the best however. Fish is brilliant for you but nixy... we have discussed this before... get onto some red meat from time to time. Porridge in the morning... a nice steak salad, which you have prepped the night before.... protein shake about 5ish... hit the gym for 6.... then home for some steamed fish and veg. Also if you can eat some fruit inbetween / yogurts.. happy days.

JOB IS A GOODUN :blush:

Right, Neil you're starting to talk in 'planet zog' language now.....

My normal food routine is very healthy. At the moment I eat around 1200 - 1500 calories a day. Not much in the way of carbs at all. No potatoes, bread or pasta hardly ever. I eat mainly fish and vegetables and salad, chicken occasionally and red meat hardly ever.

My gym routine is treadmill, cross trainer, bike, rower, then some of the weights machines. Nothing mega serious, just enough to keep fit. I've put a few pounds on recently which I want to shift. I definitely wouldn't want a protein shake instead of a meal but if it wasn't too many calories I could do one before I went to the gym if it stopped me passing out with hunger by the time I got there? Maybe some fruit would do? Isn't it bad eating so late at night?

I don't want to start 'diet wars' here or anything, but I wouldn't say 1200 calories with almost no carbs combined with a substantial exercise regime is healthy. Unless you're actively trying to lose weight, in which case i'll mind my own business. It's also probably the reason you'll be feeling hungry before the gym.

DB

As Jay said grab a shake. If you choose a whey isolate, it'll be very low in calories...especially if you have it with water as opposed to milk.

Are you a man by the way? If so then 1200-1500 cals is way too low. Unless you're about 5ft you'll be eating way under maintenance

do your weights first nixy, you'll burn energy doing that and then when you go to high energy stuff you will burn fat alot quicker as you've already burnt all your energy.

You need carbs regardless of what people say. No carbs is bad for you.

You need a balanced diet with a decent amount of all carbs, acids, protein, fibre, sugars.. Good carbs come from fruit etc but you just need to be careful with your sugar intake. Watch how much saturates you're eating as those are the bad fats

I do try to eat porridge oats mixed into a yoghurt for breakfast (when the boss is out) but can't stand to eat before 9am so it has to be what I can eat at my desk - sometimes a banana. I have salad for lunch with chicken and boiled egg or something like a tin of tuna mixed with a tin of sweetcorn. I sometimes get vegetable sushi. Now and then if i'm tired I will buy a sandwich but I was shocked at the last one I had - BLT had 450 calories in it!! Sometimes on a friday night I will sit and eat an entire box of chocolate fingers however! :lol:

Would a protein shake be the answer to my breakfast problems now I can't eat at my desk? Can you point me in the direction of what to buy and where from without breaking the bank?

Just seen the other posts while typing this..........i really must have been missing a long time for someone to say am I a man!! :lol:

I do try to eat porridge oats mixed into a yoghurt for breakfast (when the boss is out) but can't stand to eat before 9am so it has to be what I can eat at my desk - sometimes a banana. I have salad for lunch with chicken and boiled egg or something like a tin of tuna mixed with a tin of sweetcorn. I sometimes get vegetable sushi. Now and then if i'm tired I will buy a sandwich but I was shocked at the last one I had - BLT had 450 calories in it!! Sometimes on a friday night I will sit and eat an entire box of chocolate fingers however! :lol:

Would a protein shake be the answer to my breakfast problems now I can't eat at my desk? Can you point me in the direction of what to buy and where from without breaking the bank?

Just seen the other posts while typing this..........i really must have been missing a long time for someone to say am I a man!! :lol:

http://www.monstersupplements.co.ukis a good site.

I buy from a local nutrition shop as he matches and beats any online prices.

The hardest part is getting one you enjoy. All the american stuff usually tastes great but has more sugar in them. BSN Syntha 6 is by far one of the best I have tasted. Check out PHD diet whey also most of there stuff unless it contains cream flavour is really tasty.

Smart-tec whey fx banana is awesome also.

Different studies say different things.

Some folk argue that a whey isolate is best after a workout as it's digested fastest.

Others say whey and casein is optimal...some say you need simple carbs after a session...some say complex.

There's not really a definitive answer

they found eggs is the best single protein hit after working out, something to do with the combination of the fat and protein that gives the best repair for muscle.

bsn syntha 6 has 6 different proteins in it.

1. Ultra-Filtered Whey Protein Concentrate (2-3 hour digestion rate)

2. Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate (2-3 hour digestion rate)

3. Egg Albumen (2-3 hour digestion rate)

4. Milk Protein Concentrate (4-6 hour digestion rate)

5. Calcium Caseinate (6-8 hour digestion rate)

6. Micellar Alpha and Beta-Caseins and Caseinates (6-8 hour digestion rate)