Playstation 3 Ordered

sinbad

how do you guys know:

1- the blue ray player is any better than the x-box addon

2- who's going to win the HD format war (blue ray or HD-DVD)

?

Q1, i can let you know in about an hour when my guys get back from the review session. I thought it was last week but its today.

WIth regards to the HD format war, i can see HD-DVD coming out on top, not sure why, its just a thought i have with regards to todays markets and names of products. Blue Ray is not as simple to think about than HD-DVD when ordering and searching for an HD dvd player.

at the moment hd-dvd gives you better HD quailty as the early blu-ray films have been encoded in mpeg2 not the newer VC-1 standard (think thats what it's called :blush: )

also certain film studio's are only backing one type of HD format so which ever one you go for you might have to miss out some of your favourite films, hope that makes sense :wacko:

Do you think the fact that PS3 has Blue-Ray means this is going to win? Just thinking of the sheer volume of units that will be sold already with the player. I'm holding off until the war is over and someone will :surrender:

I wouldn't bank on it, tbh. I've seen a lot of reviews/opinions that say the PS3 is too little, too late.

WRT studios backing one format and not the other, once the war has ended, that'll change

Well i cancelled my order today. :dry:

And have re-ordered it with 10% discount! :yahoo:

AndyC - Let us know how you get on with yours, i can't wait to get mine. Been told it will be delivered 2nd April so a couple of weeks to wait.

Also got told that the Sony HDMI cable is pants and if your planning on using "true HD" then it will be wise to get a premium cable.

Well i cancelled my order today. :dry:

And have re-ordered it with 10% discount! :yahoo:

AndyC - Let us know how you get on with yours, i can't wait to get mine. Been told it will be delivered 2nd April so a couple of weeks to wait.

Also got told that the Sony HDMI cable is pants and if your planning on using "true HD" then it will be wise to get a premium cable.

No probs mate will do, I'll have plenty of experience of it by the end of this weekend :thumbs:

Cables provided by manufacturers are always crap, far better off spending as much as you can afford on some quality stuff. Monster is generally pretty decent but you can get better - like I say get the best you can afford.

how do you guys know:

1- the blue ray player is any better than the x-box addon

2- who's going to win the HD format war (blue ray or HD-DVD)

?

The simple answer is you don't mate. I'd say, and I'm by no means knowledgeable:

(1) its not (or not as far as I know) all I know is it comes in the same box and its quieter. Have been told by people that have used it that you wouldn't want to watch a movie on the Xbox unit as its just too noisy, which makes it useless in my opinion.

(2) your guess is as good as mine, I'm inclined to agree with Louis on the naming war thing, but on the flipside maybe blu ray will win for the same reasons - can people get their head round dvd/hd-dvd???

Ok quick note after playing it this morning:

1. Much quieter than the PS2 hardly much noise at all.

2. Looks much better in the flesh.

3. touch sensative buttons on console (never knew this)

4. Motorstorm looks amazing, especially the opening video. had in 1080p mode.

5. Pads are pretty light

6. Menus are very easy to navigate around.

7. Fall of Man, wasn't groundbreaking, graphics good but not as good as motorstorm, gameplay got better the more you played it but still a solid game.