Thats annoying - V5

coldel

...just trawling through all the paperwork for the Zed to make sure its all in order for any sale and realised I didnt send off the V5 when I moved to Richmond recently :wacko: so it has my old Windsor address on it. With so much going on just slipped under the radar.

Takes around 2 weeks to have the address changed as far as I know. Looking through it it seems that any new owner just fills out their bits and sends it off anyway so can't see a problem if I keep it for now along with proof that I used to live in Windsor for any potential buyer? I suppose with people on here its not a problem as they know I am a genuine owner of it but anyone seeing the PH ad etc...might be suspect?

If the person could prove to me that they were the actual person named on the V5 (via passport) and that they could prove that the address on the V5 was actually their previous address, I wouldn't care and certainly wouldn't not buy the car because of it.

I also realised just now that my driving licence still has my windsor address also - I guess that corroborates the V5 to some degree.

Thought I had done everything, even changed little Alfies address on his baby savings account :doh:

Thats something different isnt it Colin? Something about someone not following up a lost in the post V5?

;)

although I agree with Sarnie's pragmatic approach if a potential buyer is, shall we say, more particular DVLA might pick up on it :shrug:

I also realised just now that my driving licence still has my windsor address also - I guess that corroborates the V5 to some degree.

Thought I had done everything, even changed little Alfies address on his baby savings account :doh:

So probably two of the first things you should have done, you didn't :lol:

:lol::lol: My kind of Financial Advisor me thinks, makes mental note to PM Sarnie :)

So probably two of the first things you should have done, you didn't :lol:

I wouldn't buy a car if the V5 didn't match the address. Well, I might take a punt on a £500 shed if given the proof that Sarnie says, but not on anything decent. Your car is immaculate mate, don't sell yourself short and make them think either you or the car are dodgy when they're not :thumbs:

The V5 is in the post I put it in earlier this week. As far as I know though the V5 isnt proof car of ownership, only proof of who the car is registered to. So, if a buyer is willing, they could still purchase the car, write up a contract which both parties sign, and they could drive it off purchased and sort out the V5 later when it comes back? All above board I would believe, yes any speeding tickets would arrive through my door but the written contract would push those to the buyer right?

Which could've been faked.

I'm really not picking at you here matey, it's easy to make these kinds of mistakes, I'm just pointing out what I would think as a buyer if I turned up at a place and there was no V%, just an electronic copy. Given the amount of 350Zs for sale, why take a chance on one that could be dodgy? I'm sure you'll get it back pretty quickly and it won't harm your chances of a sale at all. :)

+1

Which could've been faked.

I'm really not picking at you here matey, it's easy to make these kinds of mistakes, I'm just pointing out what I would think as a buyer if I turned up at a place and there was no V%, just an electronic copy. Given the amount of 350Zs for sale, why take a chance on one that could be dodgy? I'm sure you'll get it back pretty quickly and it won't harm your chances of a sale at all. :)

The V5 is in the post I put it in earlier this week. As far as I know though the V5 isnt proof car of ownership, only proof of who the car is registered to. So, if a buyer is willing, they could still purchase the car, write up a contract which both parties sign, and they could drive it off purchased and sort out the V5 later when it comes back? All above board I would believe, yes any speeding tickets would arrive through my door but the written contract would push those to the buyer right?

Your right, the logbook always says on it these days that its not proof of ownership...... but how else would you really prove ownership of the car... sure you may have a receipt for when you bought the car, but 99.9% of people want that logbook.

Another thing to consider here... if you are planning to keep your private plate then you`ll need to send that logbook off again, and that will take 2 weeks for DVLA to send you back yet another new logbook but this time with the cars original plate on it. I know as I did exactly this with my private plate a month back and it took 2 weeks.