Again i've been done!

skidder

Went to look at this car today.I really was sure it was straight.

Talked to the owner for some time.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4029733.htm

Only went to high wycombe so only 32 miles on the train.

Got there and first impressions were great.Had a quick look over the car and looked at the service history etc.All looked good.

Noticed a bit of a bump on the offside but not too much of a big deal.

Anyway took for a test drive and it really was a dream..

Everything tallied up.

I decided to have a better look on return from the test drive.

Looked at the front and offside and obviously there had been at least a 20-30mph bump.The light was an inch out of alighnment and the whole left side was half an inch out.

I questioned the owner and he admitted it was a supermarket bang and a cash deal repair.

To be honest the car was sound but I just feel let down by the un-disclosure of the obvious accident..

If I tried to sell I've got to look the buyer in the eye and say 'no accident here the cars straight as a dye'

It was up for £8500 then went down to £7500 but it really would bug the hell out of me with the mis-alighnment.

The owner knew i'd clocked him and refused any offer in my opinion knowing that someone would come along without the knowledge I have.

The car was a beauty, one owner and £32500 new 7 years ago.Just a real shame it wasn't straight...

I mean the guys not short of cash, why not just be honest?

Rant over :angry:

^^ as far as I'm aware you only need to disclose it if your a dealer?

Private sellers don't have to disclose it unless asked and to the best of there knowledge..

Keep looking Skidder I'm sure you'll find something soon - I thought I'd got a mint one until I heard scraping going over a speed bump.. No matter what you get you'll no doubt find something wrong with it.. most cars are 5?+ years old.. as long as its nothing major and the price is right I'd take the car and get it fixed personally..

You don't even have to disclose Cat C or D unless asked. Rich is right, it's all about selling the car and letting the potential buyer ask the questions they think is necessary. Perhaps not ethically correct, but otherwise no-one will ever buy anything.

Sad truth of life.

Not sure what the problem is here???

Did you ask him if the car had been in an accident and he said no?? If so then I understand.

If you'd not asked him and then when asked he told you, whats the problem??

Whats the problem here?

I did an HPI check which came up clear.I asked in great detail about the bodywork etc before travelling.At no time did he say it had had an accident or there was an inch gap on the offside front bonnet,headlamp and most of that side.

Maybe I should have just bought it and lived with it... :shrug:

HPI only gives you Insurance claims against the car where they are significant enough to become CAT D or C cars.

Did you ask him if it had been in an accident? If you did and he said no then then have a point.....

Yes I realise this thanks.I looked at it and knew I would never be able to bring it back to its former glory.It wasn't that it was that bad but it just wasn't able to be put right.

I never said 'has it been in an accident?' before viewing but I did say any dings, bumps scratches etc and that wasn't disclosed.

Like I say when I asked when viewing he said it was a cash deal in a supermarket prang.

I guess i'll keep my dough in my sky rocket for now...

Thanks for all you're input everyone..

Chris