Nexus 7

wizard

Undeniably, the Nexus is a lovely bit of kit. My mate brought his in to work today and it's fantastic.

It just seems a bit of a faff surrounding the lack of storage. Cloud only works if you have a decent WiFi connection, which would say be my house... I don't need cloud storage there as I have a PC and NAS. Anywhere else is reliant on a WiFi or 3G connection which is limited and expensive...

Take an example of a flight to America. I want to watch a few films there and back and listen to some music. No WiFi or 3G, so cloud is not an option. The device is not big enough to store all I want to take... If I use an external drive, how do I power the device as the USB port is occupied and I don't have enough charge? With the Galaxy Tab 2 I can take as many additional SD Cards as I want and I can charge at the same time.

I'd honestly rather have a lower spec device that does everything I need. Why should you have to compromise or muck around to get something to work the way you want it.

This isn't designed as a Nexus 7 bash, as it is a fantastic device, just too limited storage wise, but then they had to make it have some limitations for the price.

Cloud works anywhere where there is wifi or a 3g signal on your mobile, so for me thats pretty much everywhere. I use my samsung s2 phone all the time for streaming & data and because i have wifi at home, wifi at work, wifi in the local coffee shop, I find I only use about 60mb a month on my 3g data tariff when im not somewhere where i get wifi.

Your right, on a plane or anywhere where there isnt a good 3g signal you may want to store stuff more locally. Ive got the 16gb version and with movies coming in at around 1/2 gb each, can easily get enough media on the device if I wanted to take it on a 12 hour flight to the US. But if you wanted your entire media library (mine fills 3tb on my nas box) then you`d be struggling somewhat.

The USB adapter powers usb drives as well as lets you use them - same as on a laptop.

At the end of the day, as you say, you need to workout which device does what you want. The same reason as I didnt go for the iphone - its far too limiting, I wanted the flexibility my s2 gives me - incl the ability to use SD cards. I also wanted the best technology for the money at the time.

Both are great gadgets, and the Samsung Tab 2 7" is a cracking piece of kit and with 32gb SD cards getting cheaper (i paid 35quid for the one in my s2), you can easily get a lot of local storage cheap. Both have great displays are light, slim and good performance.

To save money id not bother with the 3g version as no point in forking out 30quid a month in order to get the tablet online when you can just share your mobile phones internet connection.

Only other advantage with the tab 2 is that virtually everywhere is sold out of the nexus, you just cant get them now. (they are selling on ebay for between 50 and 100quid over retail price due to demand out stripping supply). Whereas with the samsung you can get it from your local store straight away. Saves a lot of messing about! :thumbs:

what browser are you using?

Well iplayer is flash, so thats why the stock chrome browser doesnt like it. I downloaded firefox beta and installed the flash 11 apk seperately (you can d/l that directly to the nexus if you google for the file, then install it straight away). In firefox you can select to view the iplayer website in "desktop mode". Then its just as if your watching in on a pc.

:thumbs:

Well iplayer is flash, so thats why the stock chrome browser doesnt like it. I downloaded firefox beta and installed the flash 11 apk seperately (you can d/l that directly to the nexus if you google for the file, then install it straight away). In firefox you can select to view the iplayer website in "desktop mode". Then its just as if your watching in on a pc.

That's pretty much what I did... but I found that the controls are so tiny and it's hard to move forwards and backwards on iplayer... or maybe i have fat fingers? lol

Another solution was to try it from the dolphin browser, but the browser would throw a wobbly if i put full screen on.... shame... seemed like a more stable browser.

That's pretty much what I did... but I found that the controls are so tiny and it's hard to move forwards and backwards on iplayer... or maybe i have fat fingers? lol

Another solution was to try it from the dolphin browser, but the browser would throw a wobbly if i put full screen on.... shame... seemed like a more stable browser.

Your right, the controls are a bit small like that as the desktop site isnt really designed to work on a tablet.

Hopefully the bbc will bring out an updated version of iplayer to work on the latest android soon - i guess they must have done something similar to allow it to work on the iphone / ipad as apple havent supported flash for a very long time.

Firefox browser seems to have improved loads since I last used firefox. It started getting all slow & bloaty so i moved onto chrome some time ago. Looks like I may have to give it ago again now. Not tried dolphin browser yet...

After playing on a new iPad, I think the size is just right. I'd be worried if I went for one of these it would seem a little small. What's people views on that?

It all depends what you intend to use it for. We have both the new ipad3 and the nexus 7 in our house. The ipad is designed more as a device you would use at home or in the office and you wouldnt want to lug it about all over the place. The 7" tabs, like the nexus 7 (and the samsung tab 2 7inch etc) are designed to be a lot more portable. They will easily fit in a girls handbag, or in many coat pockets etc.. so you can take them anywhere. They are roughly the same size & weight as a small paperback book. If your going to lug an ipad about you may as well take your laptop. If you try holding your ipad for any length of time it soon becomes a bit uncomfortable - which is why everyone buys these cases which fold out into a little stand for them. Whereas the 7" tablet is much lighter and easier to hold.

The 7" tablet market seems to have gone through the roof. A lot of people see it as the optimum size for a hand held tablet. Even apple who stated that they would never make a 7" tablet are considering getting a slice of the action. For me the thing I had to try and decide on was would I really use a 7" tablet, when ive got an Galaxy s2 phone which does it all anyway.

If your wanting something which you`ll probably mainly use in the house, maybe just for web browing or looking at photos then the ipad would make more sense. But even then id probably opt for a netbook or laptop as i find it much easier to type on a proper keyboard. One thing I dont like on the ipad is the screen is 4:3 ratio - the same as old CRT tellys were before widescreen came out, so if your trying to watch tv or films on it, you either have to zoom in and miss half the picture, or loose 1/2 the screen with big black bars top & bottom.

My missus does love her ipad though, but from watching her use of it over the last month or so, she uses it as an e-reader most of the time - rather than use her kindle, she uses the ipad to show friends her photos, and she also uses it to go onto facebook. Thats it really.

After playing on a new iPad, I think the size is just right. I'd be worried if I went for one of these it would seem a little small. What's people views on that?

It all depends what you intend to use it for. We have both the new ipad3 and the nexus 7 in our house. The ipad is designed more as a device you would use at home or in the office and you wouldnt want to lug it about all over the place. The 7" tabs, like the nexus 7 (and the samsung tab 2 7inch etc) are designed to be a lot more portable. They will easily fit in a girls handbag, or in many coat pockets etc.. so you can take them anywhere. They are roughly the same size & weight as a small paperback book. If your going to lug an ipad about you may as well take your laptop. If you try holding your ipad for any length of time it soon becomes a bit uncomfortable - which is why everyone buys these cases which fold out into a little stand for them. Whereas the 7" tablet is much lighter and easier to hold.

The 7" tablet market seems to have gone through the roof. A lot of people see it as the optimum size for a hand held tablet. Even apple who stated that they would never make a 7" tablet are considering getting a slice of the action. For me the thing I had to try and decide on was would I really use a 7" tablet, when ive got an Galaxy s2 phone which does it all anyway.

If your wanting something which you`ll probably mainly use in the house, maybe just for web browing or looking at photos then the ipad would make more sense. But even then id probably opt for a netbook or laptop as i find it much easier to type on a proper keyboard. One thing I dont like on the ipad is the screen is 4:3 ratio - the same as old CRT tellys were before widescreen came out, so if your trying to watch tv or films on it, you either have to zoom in and miss half the picture, or loose 1/2 the screen with big black bars top & bottom.

My missus does love her ipad though, but from watching her use of it over the last month or so, she uses it as an e-reader most of the time - rather than use her kindle, she uses the ipad to show friends her photos, and she also uses it to go onto facebook. Thats it really.

That's pretty balanced to be fair mate, I think you've hit the nail on the head for me. I might see if I can have a little play on a Nexus and make up my mind :thumbs:

That's pretty balanced to be fair mate, I think you've hit the nail on the head for me. I might see if I can have a little play on a Nexus and make up my mind :thumbs:

Also look at the samsung tab 2 7inch... thats got a cracking nice screen on it and is the same sort of money. You may however find the 7"`s are too small, depending on what you plan to use it for.