My rainy day woes got worse!

twobears

After moaning on here about not being able to get out of the village, things got a lot worse when my garden flooded :scare: Luckily my daughter and her boyfriend are here so we made sandbags and various other flood defences and managed to borrow a huge pump from the Parish council. Several hours later we are still pumping water out of the garden but, fortunately, it hasn't yet got into the house. It's lapping up around the front door, swirling round the side of the house like a river and lapping up at some French windows at the back so all a bit worrying.

I'm dreading high tide tonight and think I'll have to stay up all night :dry: I live inland but we have two tidal dykes coming down near the cottage so I always have to keep my eye on tide times as strange as that seems.

Thank you :) Husband has come home now and we are going down to the clough (a sort of gate which lets the water from the dykes flow into the river at low tide) to see if it's blocked. Whole trees often get lodged in it and wedge the gates open so that the entire Humber and Ouse rivers try to come back up the dyke and through our garden. Seriously bad news :thumbdown: I love living here but sometimes it's a pain in the backside.

Boys, you seem to be making light of my problems :lol: I would hold a Lesbian and Gay Pride March in through my garden every year if they would promise to help bail out some of this bl**dy water right now!!!!!

Thanks buster. This is the fourth time in six years that we've been flooded. They are supposed to be building a pumping station on the riverbank to stop it happening again but the govt. have been dragging their heels for the past two years as they don't want to spend any money.

Hope you are feeling a bit better today :)

Our lane was completely flooded with a river flowing past my back door, incredibly there's also a mains burst up the road adding to the problems. Blue skies now though :wacko:

Pete

Sorry Pete I know it's not a laughing matter but all I can think about now is you sitting on your back step with your feet in the water fishing :lol:

Our lane was completely flooded with a river flowing past my back door, incredibly there's also a mains burst up the road adding to the problems. Blue skies now though :wacko:

Pete

Sorry Pete I know it's not a laughing matter but all I can think about now is you sitting on your back step with your feet in the water fishing :lol:

Roof developed a leak as well :shrug: Sewers now overflowing, septic tank unable to handle all that rain, on the plus side the flood in the lane has subsided and no water in the house (other than what the bucket under the roof leak has collected) :lol:

Pete

Pete

Roof developed a leak as well :shrug: Sewers now overflowing, septic tank unable to handle all that rain, on the plus side the flood in the lane has subsided and no water in the house (other than what the bucket under the roof leak has collected) :lol:

Pete

Crikey mate :boat::surrender:

Gosh Pete, sounds like your day was very similar to mine :boat: We discovered a leak in the dressing room (I know, how posh am I? :lol: ) upstairs so that had to have a bucket placed underneath. Yet another job to add to my list - getting the roof looked at :angry:

Our septic tank has a pump so if it gets too full it pumps the water out down the garden, adding 'black water' to the lake that was already there :scare: It's high tide again soon and the dykes (water-filled ditches for the more excitable amongst you :lol: ) look like they might owertop* (*just assuming everyone speaks fluent Yorkshire :thumbs: ) any moment. Oh joy ...

How very dare you! The geese loved the flood as you can probably imagine. They decided to dig some big holes in the orchard and stick their heads in them so they've gone to bed all mucky* (*oops, I've come over all Yorkshire tonight, sorry) and the orchard looks like the Somme :thumbdown:

Our septic tank has a pump so if it gets too full it pumps the water out down the garden, adding 'black water' to the lake that was already there :scare:

Sadly, I don't have a pump, just a long piece of plastic tubing that has to be primed manually :lol: . This will mean a trip into what I would roughly describe as a field (it hasn't been cut or had cattle on it since 1985) which is of course totally waterlogged and overgrown with birch trees and brambles not to mention the nettles :scare: . Because of the way my house was built it means that everything from the gutters and surrounding land finds its way into the tank, consequently, even if we had no more rain (fat chance) it would take a week or 10 days to get back to normal levels left alone.

Pete