Off topic: Wifi problem...

marzman

Hi guys...

Im sorry to post this but google's annoying me now!

I've got Virgin Media broadband, and have my own wireless router plugged into the virgin cable modem. I've had this setup for approx 5 years and it's never once missed a beat.

Woke up this morrning to find i couldnt access the internet on any devices (iphone, ipad, 2x laptops). Reset both my router and modem several times but still no joy.

However, plugging my cable modem directly into my laptop works. I get the internet back - therefore that must mean the problem is the wireless router, surely?

However, what i dont understand is that i can still connect to the wireless router via Wifi - my local network works perfectly, its just it wont give me access to the internet :rant:

I called Virgin media and they reckon there is some kind of conflicting signal coming from my router stopping things from working, but the guy was just trying to get my off the phone. Never heard of this before... any weight to it?

My main concern though is that yesterday it was working fine, and today its not, and that my router appears to work still as far as the LAN is concerned - so i dont want to go out and spend £30-40 on a new router when thats not actually the problem.

...and google's been no help as i cant explain the context of my problem when searching... there are lots of 'connected to wifi but no internet' threads, but all with different context.

Cheers...

Ask them to ping your modem. :thumbs:

If you have the superhub you may well find the wireless side fails, mine did and I got sent a new one.

Also try a factory reset on the router, sometimes it helps.

If all fails, I have a net gear router that you can buy for a small fee, it has only had about 3 hours use from new, then I got my super hub and was no longer needed.

It's a netgear which does 5 ghz wireless too. It's the N600 type.

my superhub had to get adjusted as interference was messing with it supposedly. Changed the channel on it and slowed the transfer rate and problem solved.

Dont know if this is just virgin palming me off but it seems to work better than ever.