Changing the name of your house

twobears

Has anyone here ever changed the name of their house? I am getting increasingly fed up of couriers attempting to deliver my parcels to the wrong house because someone up in the village (I live in an adjacent hamlet) decided to give their house exactly the same name as mine :thumbdown: The name isn't wildly exciting but it does describe my cottage as I have an orchard ;) Not sure if the other house has an orchard or if they just liked the name.

Anyway, after my latest fiasco with DPD on Friday, which I won't go into in case steam comes out of my ears again :blush: I wondered if it would be a good idea to change the house name to something more original? Royal Mail don't help either as they have our 'official address' entered incorrectly on their database. Amazingly they have decided that we live in the next hamlet along, even though we are three miles away from that location.

So, has anyone ever changed their house name before and, if so, did it cause many problems? I really don't want to exchange one problem for another.

Royal Mail :lol::lol:

According to them I live in three different countys one of which does not exist.

All they want is the Post Code, so they will not update their records.

Change it to " Cottage in the Orchard" but you've got to deal with..................Royal Mail. :bang:

Stick a new sign on the door outside, and make sure you give the new name to anyone who may send you anything.

Job = carrot.

I've done something similar as on our street there is 14, 14a and 14b all with 4 or 5 different flats at each one so poor old postie gets confused. :clap: Added a name to our address, put a sign outside and then add the name to any addresses I give. :thumbs:

Hmm, Royal Fail are the bane of my life :( Last week one of their keener postmen slammed my front door so hard that he dislodged the resistor in my burglar alarm, set the thing off and I had to pay a call out fee to the alarm company to fix it as the alarm thought it had been tampered with.

Does Two Bears Cottage sound ok? :lol:

It can be done, the previous owners changed the name of my house, my parents also made a minor change to their house name. I'm also on an awkward situation when it comes to couriers delivering stuff as my postcode takes you to a different area :shrug:

Pete

Hmm, Royal Fail are the bane of my life :( Last week one of their keener postmen slammed my front door so hard that he dislodged the resistor in my burglar alarm, set the thing off and I had to pay a call out fee to the alarm company to fix it as the alarm thought it had been tampered with.

I think these guys already live at Two Bears Cottage....

rude016.jpg

Oh oh :lol:

I think these guys already live at Two Bears Cottage....

rude016.jpg

Problem is with chaning house name is that every company who sends you mail will also need to be updated or there is even more chance of your mail ending up at the other house.

Just collar the postman, pin him against the wall, jam a knife between his legs and in your best Snatch voice say 'you deliver the wrong mail here ever again and I'll cut your fackin Jacobs off'.

As Ricey has pointed out there are a lot of problems to be sorted out. Obviously the best time to change the name would be as soon as possible after you moved in and it is a lengthy process that involves the local highways department and the land registry plus many others. Here's a guide I found....good luck :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/pro ... house.html

Pete

In the cold light of morning I've decided that it will be more trouble than it's worth to change the name. Burning my 'rival's' house down seems a little extreme but they have erected a scruffy, hand-painted wooden sign on the verge proclaiming that they own the real Orchard Cottage so I could easily go and uproot that and add it to my logburner. Cackle, cackle :stir:

they have erected a scruffy, hand-painted wooden sign on the verge proclaiming that they own the real Orchard Cottage so I could easily go and uproot

Surely they must realise that your house name was there before they arrived?

I changed the name of my last house when I bought it - purely because it had a horrible name! None of the houses in my village had numbers. It was really straight forward and was done by contacting the council. The only problems i had were initially whenever someone asked for my address they couldn't find it on their computer (in a shop for instance) but that was updated very quickly. :thumbs:

Thanks for your help chaps :dry::lol:

When I worked in an office I was once invited to be a member of a quiz team (all male) who called themselves Norma's Nockers. I had to decline that offer just as I am, regrettably of course, declining your house name suggestions :bangin: